The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (1 Viewer)

with Bo

the-clash-bo-diddley-tour-photo.jpg

nice jacket there Joe

Most ridiculously self-regarding genre, they just recycled what black lads in America had been doing 25 years earlier and acted like it was all edgy. Fuck that for a show. Punk's not dead, it was never alive to begin with.

Where's the 'absolute nonsense' button Pete?

Also there's a drink called Punk IPA. If there was a post-rock IPA you'd all be rightfully laughing at the pack of wankers who devised it.

That's cos punk IPA would be well tasty, whereas post-rock IPA would be bland old piss.

The Strangers Greatest Hits is better than your entire your record collection.
I'm going to guess you mean The Stranglers as any band called The Strangers seem to be Beatles/Shadows wannabes. I can't stand The Stranglers, that's the kind of punk/dad rock that gets cited as being a classic when it just sounds shit.

Godspeed are shite. So are Stars of the Lid.

I could see your point on Godspeed, but have you not heard Dopamine Clouds Over Craven Cottage?

They [SOTL) were dull live - pointless experience really when its head music.

Best live Kranky band I've seen - Windy & Carl. Had to sit down after a while. Whatever sort of sonic carry-on they have live, it effected me physically.
Worst live Kranky band I've seen - Deerhunter. Lukewarm pish (at least live)

I could see your point on Godspeed, but have you not heard Dopamine Clouds Over Craven Cottage?

They [SOTL) were dull live - pointless experience really when its head music.
I have, it's shite. I just don't get that kinda music. I went to see Godspeed twice and listened to several of their albums back in the day and I never got it. I did really like Do Make Say Think one time when I saw them in Whelans, although the sense of energy, fun and excitement that they had live didn't really come across on the album they were touring at the time which I picked up on the night. I still fondly recall one of the band coming up to me and telling me (without any kind of prompting from me) that I had the best beard in whelans that night. Not every hipster in dublin has that badge. Or maybe they all do, I dunno.

Never saw Deerhunter live but they're underwhelming on record. I have seen SOTL twice, once in Whelans and it was really good but not as good as the albums. However, I saw them again the following year in Boston at a Kranky birthday event and they were unbelievable. It made the albums sound utterly two-dimensional and it was a long time before I could enjoy the albums again.

Windy (of Windy & Carl) played with a different chap and it was good but not in the same league. Lichens did a solo set based entirely around his voice that might still be the most impressive performance I've ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back