the ballad of ronnie drew (3 Viewers)

Ah, I didn't mean that in a bad way, really. It goes onto my list of Things What I Love About Ireland. Most of us probably have a shiteload of cable channels, and yet, on a Friday night, it's still the norm to tune in to the Late Late. I only switched it on because my neighbour told me I should watch it.

I hardly ever see it, but it is genuinely entertaining, even when it's twee (which is most of the time), I'm glad people still watch it and I'm glad it still survives. I just wish they understood that people are watching it in spite of Pat Kenny, not because of him, and they'd get someone really good to host it.

Who would you pick to replace him, if it was up to you?

It used to be a hell of lot better. It might have just been the time, but the Late Late was one of the first irish shows to introduce and tackle abortion, divorce clerical abuse, etc, and bring the issue out to the veiwing public.

Some of the pieces they did on the troubles still stand as some of the most moving broadcasts in RTE's grey and dull history. And , regardless of what he spends his time doing now, Gaybo was an excellent host back then.

It may be that things are not the way they were. But personally, I think it may be that. every producer on that show hates their job and wants to die.

Someone young, and with a Brain, who's conversationally savy and not hilariously ignorant of tone and consideration. Radio's where i would look to first, those lot are all about the talking and some of them are of an age that would change the demographic from mostly, eh,useless old people to interested and capable younger old people.

I'm gonna get hit for saying this, but, eh, i heard paul connolly on that 98fm thing in the evenings, and reckon he's got it.

is Joe Elliot in that video or is it just someone that looks like him?

cancer can get rocked

Pretty sure it was him.

Is anyone else a tiny bit surprised that there were so many of us home for the Late Late last night?

Whenever I'm home on a Friday, I always kind of assume everyone else is out whooping it up and stuff.

I was at band practice and we just went into the sitting room to see Shane McGowan. Oh and we don't got cable in these parts either.

Anyone see that Duffy chick on Jool's Holland? Amazing voice and I hear she's number one in the charts too. That's the kinda shit that gives me hope.

It used to be a hell of lot better. It might have just been the time, but the Late Late was one of the first irish shows to introduce and tackle abortion, divorce clerical abuse, etc, and bring the issue out to the veiwing public.

Some of the pieces they did on the troubles still stand as some of the most moving broadcasts in RTE's grey and dull history. And , regardless of what he spends his time doing now, Gaybo was an excellent host back then.

It may be that things are not the way they were. But personally, I think it may be that. every producer on that show hates their job and wants to die.

Someone young, and with a Brain, who's conversationally savy and not hilariously ignorant of tone and consideration. Radio's where i would look to first, those lot are all about the talking and some of them are of an age that would change the demographic from mostly, eh,useless old people to interested and capable younger old people.

I'm gonna get hit for saying this, but, eh, i heard paul connolly on that 98fm thing in the evenings, and reckon he's got it.

Ray Darcy.

Anyone see that Duffy chick on Jool's Holland? Amazing voice and I hear she's number one in the charts too. That's the kinda shit that gives me hope.

Duffy is great

Playing in the Sugar Club soon

Oh god, yeah, it would have to be someone off radio. But then, Pat came off radio...

Gay Byrne was a bit on the older side when I first came to Ireland, but he always struck me as pretty likeable. It wasn't until I saw some older footage and got some understanding of what the Late Late really was that I 'got' Gay Byrne.

Pat Kenny seems not to know the difference between being a little bit challenging and just giving people a hard time. If someone is 'controversial' like the Guerilla Girls supposedly are, he just asks lame questions as if he's being 'hard-hitting', but if they are not, he just gives the viewers a hard time because you get a headache from watching him pander.

Haven't heard Paul Connolly, but I doubt it would be someone from outside RTE, not that they're looking to replace Pat or anything, just if they did.... I can't really think of anyone whom I think is a strong enough character to make it an awesome show. Most everyone who is springing to mind is totally anodyne or would turn it into something that TV3 Exposé rubbish.

It would have to be someone with a bit of warmth, which rules out a lot of people, and who has a brain but is not at all pretentious, which rules out the rest of them before you even get to the fact that they need to be a bit funny, but not constantly dominate. Most of the funny folks on TV would probably be too dominant. And most of the people on radio who think they're funny are actually shit.

i'm afraid i saw the late late too (in company, deliberately waiting to see the guerilla girls, and texting "wtf wtf??" to jane, though). it's rarely actually boring, but it does need someone who knows how to interview, talk, feel human emotion, etc etc...

wondered a lot about what ronnie actually thinks of the song. it's excruciating, and bono's "hey!" at the end of every line was helping nothing. it was also kind of hilarious that the show sequence involved bono referring to all other bands as 'girls' (which is fine, he'll get his), then the guerilla girls (not cracked on them but it could have been interesting and not 'ah gwan, take off your masks'), and then pat joking to brent pope about being held back by a wife.

and, unrelatedly, J-E-S-U-S in the hizzouse

Duffy is great

Playing in the Sugar Club soon

She is. I'm off the horn thread. Looking at her myspace it seems she may be from North Wales, great record shop this:

l_f251992b53725b37413ade762f73bc01.jpg

Is anyone else a tiny bit surprised that there were so many of us home for the Late Late last night?

Whenever I'm home on a Friday, I always kind of assume everyone else is out whooping it up and stuff.
Thats exactly what I was thinkibg,although in my defence I only caught that bit before I went out for Cadence Weapon.

If you ask me,
We were listening to the dubliners today and the record skipped during "now I'm easy". Ronnie drew was saying despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt

i think he was trying to communicate with me about the job bono did on the song. Then again, I'm pretty far from sober.

If you ask me,
We were listening to the dubliners today and the record skipped during "now I'm easy". Ronnie drew was saying despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt despise the cunt

i think he was trying to communicate with me about the job bono did on the song. Then again, I'm pretty far from sober.

ahhh you beautiful, beautiful drunk

I've never heard this song but Yer all just a shower of heartless hipsters.

I for one think it's a great tune and with total integrity.
My favourite bit is when Bono sings "....and tonight thank God it's him instead of you!"

I've never heard this song but Yer all just a shower of heartless hipsters.

I for one think it's a great tune and with total integrity.
My favourite bit is when Bono sings "....and tonight thank God it's him instead of you!"

i have to be honest and say that i felt a twang of embarrassment when bono was throwing his shapes on the late late

What happens when the king is ailing?

yeah, nice one Pat.

that was the most horrendous thing ever. The best was Shane McGowan cos you couldn't understand a word of what he said. Everyone else made eejits out of themselves.

don't look to radio for a replacement. Pat's actually ok on radio but terrible on TV. Same for Gerry Ryan (although I myself despise him on radio too, he's certainly better on radio than tv).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back