That Irish bloke thats playing cricket for England (1 Viewer)

sorry, this is not ok. This is never ok. I don't care if cricket is shite here and he can further his career there. Hes Irish, not English so shouldn't be playing for England.

Like, as far as I know he hasn't even a hint of Englishness in his family.

Its all wrong. Say that had have been soccer, or rugby and someone did the same thing.

wrong. wrong. wrong.

And yes I don't even know the bloke's name. And I know nothing about cricket. But I know this shit is wrong.

the end.

I think the phrase you're looking for is Uncle Tom.

Its all wrong. Say that had have been soccer, or rugby and someone did the same thing.

Tony_Cascarino_6.jpg

1916 has zero relevance to a cricket team in 2010. Who gives a shit what team he plays for. More chance if winning something with the English team.

what, really?

..... my carefully constructed argument!

Oh by the way, Kyran Bracken, who played Rugby for England was born in Dublin. Though he moved to Liverpool when he was 4.

How do you feel about the non native born players who have played football for Ireland Scutter?

I approve. But I think its different with them. In (almost) all cases those guys can very strongly indenfity with their Irishness, be it via a parent or grandparent.

I disapprove of players that declared for Ireland purely because it was a last resort and they knew they wouldn't get picked for England (I think we all know who I mean here).

And this isn't strictly an English (or even an international) thing. I disapprove of GAA players declaring for, and playing for other counties. Its happened all too frequently of late, mostly whereever Mick O'Dwyer showed up as manager.

And this isn't strictly an English (or even an international) thing. I disapprove of GAA players declaring for, and playing for other counties. Its happened all too frequently of late, mostly whereever Mick O'Dwyer showed up as manager.

Ah I dunno. There must be hundreds of guys with minor all Ireland medals from Kilkenny who've never played senior Hurling. Some of them possibly good enough to get into almost any other team in the country. I wouldn't begrudge them the opportunity to get a game somewhere else if they wanted to. It'd probably help the sport as well.

Ah I dunno. There must be hundreds of guys with minor all Ireland medals from Kilkenny who've never played senior Hurling. Some of them possibly good enough to get into almost any other team in the country. I wouldn't begrudge them the opportunity to get a game somewhere else if they wanted to. It'd probably help the sport as well.

hurling is the one sport I can comment on with at least a small degree of authority (owing to a lifetime's involvement in the game). Kilkenny lads, bar the odd exception, wouldn't even dream of looking beyond their county boundaries. If they don't get the call up to the senior team, they still have their club, and that tends to suffice. In fact I know down there the club takes serious precedence over the county side. I played with guys who have minor and under-21 all-Ireland medals, all of whom would gladly give them up for the chance of some success with their club team. And thats what I mean about representation.

A couple of years ago the rules qualifying players for county teams were relaxed for the so-called weaker sides. Normally the rule is that you need to be from the county, or if not, you qualify if you play for a club in the county. So you have lads playing club football in Dublin playing for their own counties. Similarly you have lads from other counties playing hurling for Dublin by virtue of the fact that they play with Dublin clubs. Anyway, for the so-called weaker counties anyone from the so-called stronger counties could declare for a weaker county, without any tie. 2 ex-county players from Tipp declared for Kildare. Another for Meath. I saw those lads play plenty when they were with Tipp. I saw them again with their 'new' counties, and they were a shadow of their former selves. I put that down to the fact that their hearts just weren't in it.

So with the gah its not so much of an issue. There are possibilities for lads to change club and even county, but its so rare that it barely causes a blip. But even in the cases where it does happen, its generally frowned upon. Except in the case of New York or London, but those are special cases.

I'm all for nationalism but Cricket ? Really ? Scutter how the fuck did you realise that a paddy was on the english cricket team ? By watching cricket ?

No, by watching Mock the Week last week. Actually I did recall that Ireland played England a couple of years ago and the big story surrounding the game was that there was an Irish lad called Ed Joyce playing for England against Ireland. It was in the papers and on the telly and whatnot. Anyway, I just assumed when they 'joked' about it on Mock the Week that they were referring to Joyce and that he'd just gone and gotten good or something. I didn't know about this Morgan bloke til that article in the Times on saturday.

But another irony of the whole thing is that the captain of that Ireland team that played England that time (as well as about half the rest of the team), were Australian.

Representation in rugby is a bit of a joke, but the stronger teams haven't lowered themselves to start taking Aussie and NZ rejects the way a lot of countries do. Just wait til the next world cup and see how many blonde hair, blue eyed players Japan have, or Namibia.

Didn't Ireland have a guy called Brian Smith in the early 90s who was actually from New Zealand? And Isaac Boss? Other than those 2 I reckon Ireland have been pretty good about who gets to play for the country.

Didn't Ireland have a guy called Brian Smith in the early 90s who was actually from New Zealand? And Isaac Boss? Other than those 2 I reckon Ireland have been pretty good about who gets to play for the country.

Ireland's captain in the 1999 world cup was Dion O'Cuinneagain from Cape Town who had preciously played for South Africa at sevens. Simon Geoghegan is from Knebworth.

Smith was actually an Aussie and had been capped 5 times for them before he started playing for us.

In the Northern hemisphere of the big countries the Scots are probably the most frequent users of the granny rule, they've capped plenty of NZ born players over the years.

This thread is hilarious.
It's okay for foreign footballers to play for Ireland, but not for Irish footballers to play somewhere else.
Hahahaha

It's not ok for foreign footballers to play for Ireland.

but that's another battle

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back