That Irish bloke thats playing cricket for England (2 Viewers)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
sorry, this is not ok. This is never ok. I don't care if cricket is shite here and he can further his career there. Hes Irish, not English so shouldn't be playing for England.

Like, as far as I know he hasn't even a hint of Englishness in his family.

Its all wrong. Say that had have been soccer, or rugby and someone did the same thing.

wrong. wrong. wrong.

And yes I don't even know the bloke's name. And I know nothing about cricket. But I know this shit is wrong.

the end.

Once again Scutter projects his own insecurities onto other people. Yer a Brit. BRITS OUT

I say if the lad makes some good cash playing for England then go for it, doubt the Irish players make fuck all like

I wonder how much irish soldiers were making fighting for england in 1916 in France when they should have been in the GPO??

well thats the rationale alright, but I still don't buy it.

maybe its my gah background, but whatever it is, I reckon you play for where you're from.

and even if you don't, England? come on like.

I wonder how much irish soldiers were making fighting for england in 1916 in France when they should have been in the GPO??

there ya go, case in point. Sure didn't the brits show their appreciation for the irish joining up that they always sent out the irish battalions into the battlefield first. Very expendible you see.

There was an article in the Irish times yesterday about Irish lads fighting for the British Army in Afghanastan. One lad said he joined the British Army cos the Irish Army was boring. Great reason, I think you'll agree.

At least in 1916 those lads could use their abject poverty back home as an excuse. But you're right, they should have been at Mount St. bridge, or Bolands Mills, or Stephen's Green, or indeed, the GPO.

One lad said he joined the British Army cos the Irish Army was boring. Great reason, I think you'll agree.

you can see his point in fairness,who wants to spend their army career sitting in the barracks and occasionally minding bank vans?not that i'd endorse joining the british army of course,that's enough to get you disowned even today.he could have joined the us army or something though.

1916 has zero relevance to a cricket team in 2010. Who gives a shit what team he plays for. More chance if winning something with the English team.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Scots and Welsh routinely play cricket for England if they're good enough to. They're a test nation and we're not, if we were I'd probably feel dfferently but if that's the only way that he can play at the top level then fair enough.

1916 has zero relevance to a cricket team in 2010. Who gives a shit what team he plays for. More chance if winning something with the English team.

ah no, I disagree. Sport is about more than winning. It has to be when you consider how many people/teams win things and the vastly superior number that don't.

I say this as a person who was average at every sport I ever turned my hand to (arguably bar 1).

Representation is a huge thing. Thats why the outrage over someone like Stephen Ireland's refusal to play for his country. How much worse would it be if he actually declared for England and played for them instead.

Though Unicron makes a valid point. My response to that would be that Ireland will never get anywhere if they're shedding their best talent to the motherland.

I did well not to get banned from the cricket forum on boards for this thread, they normally ban u if u breath too heavily.
I'm AnimalRights over there btw.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055938126

and for the non cricket fans about 'that' Irish player is actually one Eoin Morgan.

I read an article in today's Sunday Times about him so I know more than I did when I started this thread.

He played hurling til he was 12, so has some redeeming features I suppose. And the cricket thing is in his family for generations, so fair enough on his choice of sport (even though the point of cricket is completely lost on me). But the England thing? Nope, I don't get that whatsomever

Though Unicron makes a valid point. My response to that would be that Ireland will never get anywhere if they're shedding their best talent to the motherland.

A mate of mine's flatmate works for whatever the Irish cricket governing body is called as some sort of developement officer and his remit is to help get Ireland test status, both through improoving standards here and liasing with the existing test nations and he reckons that even with the strides we've made at one day level we're at least a decade away at best from making that step up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back