Ted Leo & The Pharmacists (1 Viewer)

1am tonight GMT, there's gonna be a video stream of Ted Leo live on The Best Show on wfmu.org. He'll be busking for donations to the station.. taking requests and that, so it'll be a lot of fun.

Fuck! I'm teaching when it's on...but there is a computer in the classroom. Introduce 45 Hotel Management students to the Best Show?

I don't like it...I love it!

hey...same question from right here.... i wanna know if their playin in cork. I only know the albums Hearts of oak and the tyranny of distance but love most of them two albums. i thought til a few minutes ago that there was gonna be a cork date and was tellin a few of the people on my hurling team that sing the song... 'in the graveyard in Inchigeela in black clothing i'll be there...' cos it kinda turned into an anthem after singing that when on the way out to a hurling match in inchigeela a while back. they were gonna get tickets if they were playing cork.
the tyranny of distance is my favourite of the those two albums i think....
i'd say i'll be busing up to dubland or galway......

Punk influenced indie band with roots in traditional rock. Currently on renowned Chicago label Touch & Go. Ted Leo played Coachella and Pitchfork music festivals in 2006. Their fifth album 'Living with the Living' was released in March.

“One of rock's last great intellectual populists”
PITCHFORK

“A big-tableau statement that combines his musical and ideological passions” MOJO

“Living With The Living finds them at their most assured” UNCUT

“The first half of "Living With the Living" offers well more of everything that's made Leo and his Pharmacists such post-punk studs.” BILLBOARD

POD Concerts presents

TED LEO AND THE PHARMACISTS

Wednesday 27th June

Crawdaddy – Harcourt St – Dublin 2.
Doors – 8pm

Tickets €14 (inc. booking fee) available from Ticketmaster, Road Records, City Discs, Sound Cellar and usual outlets. www.ticketmaster.ie

www.tedleo.com

Maybe the dilapidated garages and all-ages clubs of the East Coast post-hardcore scene of the late 80s is a fitting place to begin our story. That’s where the chronicle of our era’s ever- humble valedictorian, Ted Leo, really gets interesting, anyway. It was here in bands Citizen’s Arrest and Animal Crackers (and later as the main song writer in Chisel) that Ted developed a sharpened political prowess, an assiduous commitment to his Gibson ES-335, an ear for melody, and charisma contagious enough to be considered chemical weaponry. A mod-punk savant in an age
where punk (like practically everything intangible we’ve ever expressed interest in) has been replaced by product. With his latest, Living with the Living, Ted Leo delivers that existentialist ethos to a new crop of rude boys.

For their fifth full-length release (and first with Touch and Go Records), Ted Leo and the Pharmacists met up with Brendan Canty (Fugazi) at Long View Farms to iron out a new set of anthems that arrive with a confident and outspoken immediacy. With Living with the Living, Ted & Co. wipe clean the slate that once held names like Weller, Strummer and Bragg and indulge some of their farthest-reaching musical ambitions.

“Army Bound” and “La Costa Brava” evoke the melodic spirit of Andy Partridge, Ray Davies and ArgyBargy-era Squeeze, while “Colleen” is Ted’s most successful meditation on pop music yet. “A Bottle of Buckie” clinks pint glasses with The Pogues and captures Ted conjuring up the rhythms of his Irish ancestry. And stretching his boundaries further still, songs like “The Toro and the Toreador”, “The Lost Brigade” and “The Unwanted Things” find Ted taking his falsetto in new directions, with vocals that caress each composition with the greatest delicacy and grace.

Along with the punk sound and energy found in Ted Leo and the Pharmacists’ previous works, Living with the Living finds soul, funk and R&B injected into the trajectory of Chris Wilson’s dexterous percussion, Dave Lerner’s bedrock bass and an onslaught of combustibles from Ted’s possessed fingertips.

In 2005, the refrain was “roll out and make your mark, pull on your boots and march.” On Living with the Living, Ted doesn’t shy away from his convictions and, rather, invites the testing of his mettle. “You can ask, take a look; / We’re all pretty open books. / What I stand for, I mostly stand behind. / What I am, I mostly can’t hide.”

The most indelible stamp Ted leaves on his work is an incitement to his fans to take themselves seriously, never compromise their ideals and, essentially, make a difference in theirs and the lives of those around them. It’s a message of compassion not unlike that of one of Ted’s denim- clad, working-class-empowering forebears. As we’ve learned from those artists, vital, impassioned music is often the direct result of a dire political climate, and Living with the Living is a shining example of that truism.

A voice of dissent with a firm grasp of the past and a hopeful eye to the
future, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists are rebels without a pause. Fourth World War - The Sons Of Cain - Army Bound - Who Do You Love? - Colleen - A Bottle Of Buckie
Bomb.Repeat.Bomb. - La Costa Brava - Annunciation Day/Born On Christmas Day - The Unwanted Things The Lost Brigade - The World Stops Turning - Some Beginner’s Mind - The Toro And The Toreador - C.I.A.

SUPPORT FROM

THE YOUNG SOUL REBELS & LARGE MOUND

www.youngsoulrebels.com
www.myspace.com/theyoungsoulrebels

The Rebels formed in the rain-sodden summer of 2005, and honed a sound borne from their inherent Britishness and nostalgic musical persuasions. Think 80s indie hailing from our fair isle and you're edging closer. These boys don't sing about life under the Iron Lady, but they certainly cast a nod towards the echoes of time gone by.

Young Soul Rebels are no 80s throwbacks however. Sure, Dexy's may have been searching for them, but they bring a safe sound to a new era and make it sound brand new. A self-confessed punk/indie hybrid - too much of one to be the other - the seaside quartet pose melancholy musings overlaying jangly guitars which leak undiluted energy.

www.groov.ie/largemound/
www.myspace.com/largemound

Large Mound is a well-known rock group based in Dublin. In the beginning things were scrappy: with 4-track tape experiments and a "here's a riff, here's a song" approach to writing. Since then the Mound have evolved into one of Ireland's best rock bands*, with two full length albums, extensive gigging experience, and mounting critical acclaim under their belts. The musical goal of combining downstroke rock, metal riffs and smart songwriting has remained constant tough. Reviewers have drawn comparisons with bands like Sebadoh, AC/DC, Fugazi, Dinosaur Jr, and Teenage Fanclub, and the band wouldn't have too much of a problem with any of that.

There have been a few line-up changes along the way. The one constant has been founding member and singer/guitarist Anthony Mackey who writes most of the songs, increasingly aided by second singer/guitarist "The Boy" Mark Jordan. All of Large Mound's songs are about working, rocking, and the funny things that happen to you in between. This was summed up in the opening line of their debut single, I Thought You Were Dead, "Short, simple songs about life".

The Mound have done all the usual band things like release 7" singles and split singles, the odd compilation contribution, and two full length albums: "Raised on Rock" (2002) on Julius Geezer Records, and "Go Forth And Amplify" (2004) on Scientific Laboratories. They regularly share stages with local and touring bands, and hit the road whenever they can. They heartily endorse Marshall amps, being nice to sound engineers, and red bounty bars.

The third Large Mound album, entitled "My Whole Life Is Have To", is currently being readied for release.

About time this thread got dusted off....only a few weeks away now....So Cow is playing the Galway show also. Did I mention that? I forgot to check.....

I'll be back in Ireland about 21 hours when they play Dublin. It's unlikely I could. It's more unlikely I'd be asked. Large Mound are great, go see them!

Can't wait for this. Teddy Rockstar here in Ireland. Certainly not a "Turk1-82 it"*

In the meantime, everyone watch
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

*that's a Best Show on WFMU reference just for you, vb7000*

This is all happening this week!

Line-up for Crawdaddy gig on Wednesday is now

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
Large Mound
Crayonsmith

deadly!

Is this really tonight? I've had it in my head since I bought the tickets that it was tomorrow....

Is this really tonight? I've had it in my head since I bought the tickets that it was tomorrow....

Tonight all right. Should be in the gig guide really but it's not ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back