Ted Leo & The Pharmacists (1 Viewer)

TED LEO AND THE PHARMACISTS: ‘Living With The Living’ (Touch And Go)

Maybe the dilapidated garages and all-ages clubs of the East Coast post-hardcore scene of the late 80s is a fitting place to begin our story. It was here where Ted Leo developed a sharpened political prowess, an assiduous commitment to his Gibson ES-335, an ear for melody, and charisma contagious enough to be considered chemical weaponry. A mod-punk savant in an age where punk (like practically everything intangible we’ve ever expressed interest in) has been replaced by product. With his latest, Living with the Living, Ted Leo delivers that existentialist ethos to a new crop of rude boys.

For their fifth full-length release (and first with Touch and Go Records), Ted Leo and the Pharmacists met up with Brendan Canty (Fugazi) to iron out a new set of anthems that arrive with a confident and outspoken immediacy. With Living with the Living, Ted & Co. wipe clean the slate that once held names like Weller, Strummer and Bragg and indulge some of their farthest-reaching musical ambitions.

“Army Bound” and “La Costa Brava” evoke the melodic spirit of Andy Partridge, Ray Davies and ArgyBargy-era Squeeze, while “Colleen” is Ted’s most successful meditation on pop music yet. “A Bottle of Buckie” clinks pint glasses with The Pogues and captures Ted conjuring up the rhythms of his Irish ancestry. And stretching his boundaries further still, songs like “The Toro and the Toreador”, “The Lost Brigade” and “The Unwanted Things” find Ted taking his falsetto in new directions, with vocals that caress each composition with the greatest delicacy and grace.
Along with the punk sound and energy found in Ted Leo and the Pharmacists’ previous works, Living with the Living finds soul, funk and R&B injected into the trajectory of Chris Wilson’s dexterous percussion, Dave Lerner’s bedrock bass and an onslaught of combustibles from Ted’s possessed fingertips.
www.touchandgorecords.com

Admitedly it might grow on me, but on the first listen the new record isn't the best at all.

What on earth makes white indie rock bands try and do reggae?

It's a shame cos all the other records are great.

I thought the new album would grow on me, but I dislike it more and more with every listen. Well disliking the four or five dreadful songs anyway.

aye, very disappointed now with the ted album

production is great, playing is fantastic, but the songs veer between boring and really awful.

there are a couple of gems scattered throughout, like sons of cain, but that buckie song is shocking, as is the reggae song.

worst are the two overly political songs, 'bomb repeat bomb!' where shouts lots of righteous invective, while the band shout "bomb! repeat! bomb!", and the closing track CIA, with it's refrain of "oh CIA! only you know what you've done!"
there's just something really hamfisted about it, and i've always he was a lot subtler than that.

usually i never like his records at first, but they grow, but this one ain't so far.

Ah no, I love the other records and can't wait to see him, will probably go on a road trip and see him outside of Dublin too.

The new record is just a major dissapointment is all.

I only have the new album and quite like it. What albums would you reccomend Stan? Might go download some more.
Hearts of Oak is my favourite, the probably Shake the Sheets and then Tyranny of Distance.

Then new one would be grand if he cut five of the fifteen songs.

Other negative points about new record - the song Coleen. All I can think about when I hear it is Mrs. Wayne Rooney. Not Ted's fault I know, but still not nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back