Taxi apps (1 Viewer)

I've used Hailo a fair bit in Dublin. It's great because I hate hailing taxis on the road or booking on the phone or looking for the right change, and all the drivers I've had said they love it 'cause it's great for business.

Uber is here, apparently, but seems to be only marketed at toffs. I can't see how their model works here anyway: surge pricing vs regulated taxi fares isn't even a contest.

surge pricing vs regulated taxi fares isn't even a contest.

Yeah, it only works anywhere there's a shortage of cabs.
Dublin's cabs are close to the Uber model already, there's a shit ton of them and they are usually owner-operated and thus kept pretty clean.
Boston/NY cabs anyway are a fleet and not all that lovingly maintained. Can also be difficult to get one in the rain.

Aren't the London cabs mostly owner operated too? I think Uber got a bit of traction in there, or at least a friend of mine used them quite frequently up until he deleted the app a couple of weeks ago because he's around 23 and has ethics.

Uber are here but from what i heard from a driver who uses both Hilo and Uber, Hailo will win out because of the cut the driver has to pay. Uber is aimed at hakneys with fancy cars and i'm not sure how many of them there are about Dublin so they might not get the driver numbers to code with any demand.

I was in Amterdam in May and used Uber a few times, It's a much better service over there where you get free bottle of water, nuts etc and the drivers dress and act like limo drivers.

I didn't know uber was so different to Hailo, I thought they were basically the same thing.

I use Hailo and have found that taxi drivers who use it tend not to be racist, aggressive or have taxis that reek of piss. This is a good thing.

there's too much ridiculous stuff in here to pick a blurb that captures it properly

Reflecting on one very, very strange year at Uber
Less than a week after this absurd meeting, my manager scheduled a 1:1 with me, and told me we needed to have a difficult conversation. He told me I was on very thin ice for reporting his manager to HR. California is an at-will employment state, he said, which means we can fire you if you ever do this again. I told him that was illegal, and he replied that he had been a manager for a long time, he knew what was illegal, and threatening to fire me for reporting things to HR was not illegal. I reported his threat immediately after the meeting to both HR and to the CTO: they both admitted that this was illegal, but none of them did anything. (I was told much later that they didn't do anything because the manager who threatened me "was a high performer").

I didn't know uber was so different to Hailo, I thought they were basically the same thing.

I use Hailo and have found that taxi drivers who use it tend not to be racist, aggressive or have taxis that reek of piss. This is a good thing.

Uber are SCUM

Uber's business model is to operate illegally outside all existing taxi regulation untill they are big enough to say yo local governments "fuck you - you have to accept us now".

Their "gig" model means that they see themselves as operating outside all labour regulations as well and the drivers are "contractors". This is the very hallmark of a scum industry, (see for example fruit pickers)

Their ultimate aim is a monopoy over the taxi industry.

They are basically a parasite, sucking revenue from taxi drivers, but it's a app - so we are all supposed to be OK with it. @jane could probably rant about this more poetically that I could...

Hailo as far as I can see is a service that drivers can sign up to for a fee. The drivers remain regulated as normal and use their meter as normal.

Uber are SCUM

Uber's business model is to operate illegally outside all existing taxi regulation untill they are big enough to say yo local governments "fuck you - you have to accept us now".

Their "gig" model means that they see themselves as operating outside all labour regulations as well and the drivers are "contractors". This is the very hallmark of a scum industry, (see for example fruit pickers)

Their ultimate aim is a monopoy over the taxi industry.

They are basically a parasite, sucking revenue from taxi drivers, but it's a app - so we are all supposed to be OK with it. @jane could probably rant about this more poetically that I could...

Hailo as far as I can see is a service that drivers can sign up to for a fee. The drivers remain regulated as normal and use their meter as normal.
WHERE WERE YOU TWO YEARS AGO!?!

Seriously though, I haven't signed up for Uber and have stuck with Hailo. Has Uber made much in the way of progress here? I haven't met anyone who has admitted to using it.

Plus didn't they endorse Trump? Another reason to avoid them.

Uber don't have a great presence here. I'd say it's mostly American tourists that use it. I did delete my Uber account in that great purge a few weeks ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back