[Sunday Business Post] Irish music industry hit by downloading (1 Viewer)

There are no record labels anymore, so there is no filter for shit music. As a result, it becomes too hard to find good music, so no one bothers anymore.

The gatekeepers/nerds/whoever the fuck listens to a band first will then have to hone their "trawling through thousands of myspace pages looking for daycent music" skills. I'm sure there's already lots of people doing that.

Dear Record Industry,

First it was all talk, and you know, I felt smug. Smug because I was still buying CDs at pretty much the same rate as always. Smug because it seemed strange that you'd be trying to punish people for not buying major label releases. Smug because you'd soak up indie bands and then wonder why people who disliked buying from majors on principle found other bands to support on smaller labels. Smug because I thought, "You know, we're right." I'll admit it, I felt like we were being blamed for your lower profits because you were selling a lower proportion of what you were releasing. At first it seemed like you were saying, "We're putting out 60% more garbage, and if you don't *buy* 60% more garbage, then we'll do what we can to criminialise you." But I was living a lie.

To paraphrase a famous thingamajig:

First they came for the boybands,
and I said nothing because I wasn't in a boyband.

Then they came for the novelty acts,
and I was not in a novelty act so I said nothing while they carted Richie Kavanagh away to be boiled in oil.

And then they came for the Thrills;
and there was no one left to speak for me.

But you get my point, record industry: now I know I was wrong all along. And because of my denial, my inaction, my refusal to bow to your demands or to recognise that they are in everyone's best interest, some of Ireland's own favourite sons are ruined.

I now know -- and not a moment too soon -- that it is too late for the Thrills. We must act now, and with solidarity and shared vision, or The Frames could well be next.

I promise you, Record Industry, on behalf of the Thrills, I will avenge thee.

Love,
Jane

do people here really feel the same attachment to some intangible digital file on their computers/iPods that they do for the records/cds they've paid for? Even when people give me a lend of albums that they think I'll like, it's lovely but i won't put the same amount of time and thought into those as the ones that i sought out and purchased myself.

I'm not saying that people won't value their music, of course they will but possibly a whole lot less. You see it every house you go into: Records and CDs stacked in racks and shelves, ubiquitous looking writable cds without covers flung anywhere, scratched and gathering dust. Files unattached to anything tangible at all are valued even less. This is particularly disheartening as often the music you come to love the best is the stuff that grated at first; perhaps because it was something new or unique and it takes a while to get your head around (for me examples would be Fennesz or the Dismemberment Plan). If i hadn't invested something in them i wouldn't have taken the time and probably wouldn't be listening to them at all now.

Here, here. I thought i was alone.

I've never really bought vinyl. I might have a few local 7-inchs and the odd charity shop oddity at home. I grew up with cds, I valued the music on them but I never was too excited about the packaging. Typically my bought cds are found stacked up in piles of 10 or 20 on my desk. I always mislay the case or put cds back in the wrong case. Maybe I'm just careless but I never really want the packaging I just want the music on the cds. When I first had a pc about 12 years ago I used to play my cds through it when I was playing games, then when we got a decent pc a few years later I copied all the songs I wanted to listen to on to the hard drive. Then I discovered napster etc.
Now I'm subscribed to emusic but I wouldn't really recommend it. I've had it nearly a year and some months I'm hard pushed to find 90 tracks I want from it, and then they default at the end of the month which I think is a bit ridiculous, and exploitative. I got My Brother Woody's album off it, Apples In Stereo's latest and a few classic independent albums I'd never seen in shops or hadn't sought out but it just doesn't have a big enough collection of the music I want.I'm getting more into classical and it has a huge range of classical recordings so maybe from now on I'll get my 90 a month. Complaints aside I only pay 21 euro a month for the 90 tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back