[Sunday Business Post] Irish music industry hit by downloading (1 Viewer)

i dont feel any attachment to the mp3 files themselves but i do to some of the music on them, i find it possible to enjoy just as much as a cd or lp and i love having cds and lps

The fact that it's covers and not a CD wouldnt matter.

You could argue about the public bit though - how public is someones wedding really?

I started a thread about something similar a while back:

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=42560&highlight=digital+nostalgia

I'm really interested in how people become attached to digital artefacts/objects, and in the nature of that attachment. Because we as humans do develop attachments to things that are largely symbolic, there's no reason we couldn't become attached to an mp3, it will be different from other kinds of sentimental feelings for objects that are a bit more tangible and definable. Or maybe we can't. I don't know. Is an attachment to a digital thing something that belongs on the regular spectrum of human/object relations, or do we need a totally new way of understanding how we give meaning to objects? Or does it even matter? In any case, it's interesting.

Which makes me wonder: does anyone know anyone who collects anything online? As in, has a collection of something 'virtual' (apart from mp3s, which I think we all have to an extent)?

Which makes me wonder: does anyone know anyone who collects anything online? As in, has a collection of something 'virtual' (apart from mp3s, which I think we all have to an extent)?

like that thing "second life" and "world of war craft" - don't people collect stuff in those and forge identities when playing these?

like that thing "second life" and "world of war craft" - don't people collect stuff in those and forge identities when playing these?

Oh yeah, maybe there are people who have mad second-life hobbies or something. Already did a bit on gamers, but they do more than just online stuff, they also collect figurines and build and paint stuff.

I've got a super cool one for next month, but I think a virtual collection of something would make for an interesting piece. Or even someone who collected old bits of computers, or maybe started a collection of computer crap when computers first became available, in anticipation of their future history.

Cool.

Anyway, I've turned on my old-old laptop and found stuff that I never transferred, and it's kinda cool. The thing was frustrating as fuck when it became too slow and old to use and the modem never worked in it either. Now it's sorta sweet in a way. But again, it's more an attachment to the machine than what's on it.

Right, back to the original subject.

Rock is dead, LONG LIVE ROCK.

for fucks sake!

what a load of horseshit.

i just had a glance at that article and thought... is using the statistic of 'album sales' not out of date by the fact that people use iTunes, Bleep, Juno etc to buy individual tracks and selections of tracks from albums rather than the whole album? This will in turn have an impact on profits for the labels because they work on the presumption that people will buy the whole album.

The token you collect in these games now have a value and an exchange rate against the dollar based on how people are bidding for spare tokens on ebay.

In fact the value is such that there are actually farms of people in what resemble call centres in China who's job is to play these RPG things and collect tokens which are then sold.

Strange, strange times.

The token you collect in these games now have a value and an exchange rate against the dollar based on how people are bidding for spare tokens on ebay.

In fact the value is such that there are actually farms of people in what resemble call centres in China who's job is to play these RPG things and collect tokens which are then sold.

Strange, strange times.

great article about this

NYT said:
Until very recently, in fact, eBay was a major clearinghouse for commodities from every virtual economy known to gaming — from venerable sword-and-sorcery stalwarts EverQuest and Ultima Online to up-and-comers like the Machiavellian space adventure Eve Online and the free-form social sandbox Second Life. That all came to an official end this January, when eBay announced a ban on R.M.T. sales, citing, among other concerns, the customer-service issues involved in facilitating transactions that are prohibited by the gaming companies
This is a very interesting point.

I used to report sales of Munster Rugby tickets to ebay on the basis that the ticket is voided if traded for above face value, therefore the seller is mis-representing the goods - they never seemed to be too bothered.

I wonder would this indicate a change to their attitude about touting tickets in general on ebay.

some clown said:
The crisis in EMI and the domestic sales slump is being blamed on the rise of digital downloads on the internet. IRMA's Dick Doyle told this newspaper this week that for every album bought here, 20 are downloaded illegally.

If he had said "for every person who buys a single 100 people hear it on the radio" and offered this up as evidence of the death of music you would think the man was a mental defective.

Digital photos? Digital photography has really allowed a huge ammount of people the chance to document their life and display it on sites like flickr or threads like those on the photography borad. One could argue that the imedicay and democraticism of the format makes the images mean more then a roll of film of holiday snaps you leave sitting on the sideboard for 9 months and eventually get developed only to wonder why the hell you took seventeen frames of a rotting tree/empty field/complete stranger

I think the phenomon of digital photography and people documentation and display of their private lives is really interesting

Digital photos? Digital photography has really allowed a huge ammount of people the chance to document their life and display it on sites like flickr or threads like those on the photography borad. One could argue that the imedicay and democraticism of the format makes the images mean more then a roll of film of holiday snaps you leave sitting on the sideboard for 9 months and eventually get developed only to wonder why the hell you took seventeen frames of a rotting tree/empty field/complete stranger

I think the phenomon of digital photography and people documentation and display of their private lives is really interesting

it also adds up to billions of crappy photos, and a reduction in attentiveness, critical thought, and focus, both on the part of the photographer and the end viewer. but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

it also adds up to billions of crappy photos, and a reduction in attentiveness, critical thought, and focus, both on the part of the photographer and the end viewer. but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

you could argue the same thing about XX% of the mp3s on myspace!

:)

that's the price of democratising any art process really

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back