Steak (1 Viewer)

I usually pan fry after coating them with steak spices you can get ready made. Once cooked I let them rest and while resting I deglaze the pan and add some butter, onions and mushrooms. I let that sweat off for a while and remove from heat. Add some low fat creme fraiche to the sauce and serve it with the steak. Lovely and creamy.

I usually pan fry after coating them with steak spices you can get ready made. Once cooked I let them rest and while resting I deglaze the pan and add some butter, onions and mushrooms. I let that sweat off for a while and remove from heat. Add some low fat creme fraiche to the sauce and serve it with the steak. Lovely and creamy.
Sounds nice.

In Texas, the reigning queen of comfort food or down-home cooking is chicken-fried steak, or as Texans affectionately call it CFS. Every city, town, and village in Texas takes prides in their CFS. Some, admittedly, are better than others. Texans have a unique way of rating restaurants that serve CFS. The restaurants are rated by the number of pickup trucks that is parked out in front. Never stop at a one pickup place, as the steak will have been frozen and factory breaded. A two and three pickup restaurant is not much better. A four and five pickup place is a must stop restaurants, as the CFS will be fresh and tender with good sopping gravy.
You might be surprised to learn that there is no chicken in Chicken-Fried Steak. It is tenderized round steak (a cheap and tough piece of beef) made like fried chicken with a milk gravy made from the drippings left in the pan. The traditional way to cook CFS is in a large cast-iron skillet with very little oil. Served with "the works" means accompanied by mashed potatoes, gravy, greens, black-eye peas, and cornbread.
Although not official, the dish is considered the state dish of Texas. According to a Texas Restaurant Associate, it is estimated that 800,000 orders of Chicken-Fried Steak are served in Texas every day, not counting any prepared at home.
1844-1850 - The origin of the Chicken-Fried Steak probably comes from the German people who settled in Texas from 1844 to 1850. As Wiener Schnitzel is a popular German dish that is made from veal, and because veal was never popular in Texas and beef was, the German immigrants probably adapted their popular dish to use the tougher cuts of beef available to them.
Chicken-Fried Steak Recipe
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg
2 tablespoons water
3/4 cup buttermilk baking mix (such as Bisquick)
2 pounds bottom or top round steak (cut into four individual portions), pounded well to tenderize
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Milk Gravy (recipe follows)
In a shallow pan or plate, sift together flour, salt, and pepper. In another shallow pan, combine egg and water. In still another shallow pan, place baking mix. Coat steaks in flour mixture, dip in egg mixture, and then coat with baking mix.
Preheat oven to 150 degrees F. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add vegetable oil and heat until a drop of water sizzles. Add coated steak pieces, in batches, and fry 4 to 5 minutes per side or until golden brown and thoroughly cooked (add additional vegetable oil if needed). Remove from pan and keep cooked steaks warm in preheated oven. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the cooking oil. Put the frying pan back over the heat and make the Milk Gravy.

Milk Gravy:
2 tablespoons pan drippings
1 tablespoon al-purpose flour
2 cups milk, heavy cream, or evaporated milk, room temperature
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In the same frying pan with 2 tablespoons pan drippings, over medium heat, sprinkle flour over the oil and blend with a wooden spoon or whisk until smooth. Whisking or stirring constantly, slowly pour in milk, cream or evaporated milk; continue stirring, scraping loose browned bits from the bottom and sides of skillet, until the gravy begins to boil and thicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 to 8 minutes or until gravy is thickened to the desired consistency and the flour has lost its raw, pasty taste. Remove from pan and serve hot with the Chicken-Fried Steak.
Makes 4 servings

I have a couple of sirloin steaks and want to do something different with them. Any suggestions? Nothing too time consuming. Thanks.

cut the steak into strips and fry in a hot pan with some crushed garlic and finely chopped chilli. fry a few strips at a time quickly so as not to let the meat stew. pour any emerging juices into a cup for later and leave the meat to stand on a plate for a min or two.

blanch some fine green beans, finely chop some shallots or onion, slice some mushrooms and bung all of them into your pan/wok, return the meat to the pan and add oyster sauce (and any of the juices from earlier) heat through and serve with basmati rice....deeeeeeeeeeeeelicious!

cut the steak into strips and fry in a hot pan with some crushed garlic and finely chopped chilli. fry a few strips at a time quickly so as not to let the meat stew. pour any emerging juices into a cup for later and leave the meat to stand on a plate for a min or two.

blanch some fine green beans, finely chop some shallots or onion, slice some mushrooms and bung all of them into your pan/wok, return the meat to the pan and add oyster sauce (and any of the juices from earlier) heat through and serve with basmati rice....deeeeeeeeeeeeelicious!
Stirfry is the short version

Made that last night. Very tasty. Thank you.

For me a nice steak is all about what you do to it pre-cooking. Get a bowl or a tray big enough to lay the meat flat out on. Cover the bottom in olive oil then then wipe the bowl with the steak on both sides so there's plenty of oil on it. Then get a piece of garlic and rub it into the meat, chop the garlic up and then press the pieces in. Grind a load of black pepper on top of it then add a squeeze of lemon juice (teriaki sauce it a nice substitute). Then put everything in the fridge and leave for a couple of hours (I left a piece of meat marinating in the fridge overnight one time as I wasn't having it till lunch the next day and it tasted divine).

Before you cook the steak remove the garlic pieces as they'll just burn when cooking. Steak is the only thing I fry, everything else is grilled for health reasons but I'll make an exception for steak. Cook both sides on the highest heat for a minutes then turn down the pan for however long it takes for it to be cooked enough for you.

I have a couple of sirloin steaks and want to do something different with them. Any suggestions? Nothing too time consuming. Thanks.
You just can't beat a naked 1-inch thick tenderloin steak cooked the rare side of medium. Sear each side for 1 minute on a high heat, move to a low-medium heat and cook for another minute each side, move to a plate. If you must add something, fry a load of onions in some oil and red with until charred.

Serve with mashed spuds, or a roasted yam.

Knock back a bottle of Bordeaux, or two.

Lekker.

In Texas, the reigning queen of comfort food or down-home cooking is chicken-fried steak, or as Texans affectionately call it CFS. Every city, town, and village in Texas takes prides in their CFS. Some, admittedly, are better than others. Texans have a unique way of rating restaurants that serve CFS. The restaurants are rated by the number of pickup trucks that is parked out in front. Never stop at a one pickup place, as the steak will have been frozen and factory breaded. A two and three pickup restaurant is not much better. A four and five pickup place is a must stop restaurants, as the CFS will be fresh and tender with good sopping gravy.

You might be surprised to learn that there is no chicken in Chicken-Fried Steak. It is tenderized round steak (a cheap and tough piece of beef) made like fried chicken with a milk gravy made from the drippings left in the pan. The traditional way to cook CFS is in a large cast-iron skillet with very little oil. Served with "the works" means accompanied by mashed potatoes, gravy, greens, black-eye peas, and cornbread.

Although not official, the dish is considered the state dish of Texas. According to a Texas Restaurant Associate, it is estimated that 800,000 orders of Chicken-Fried Steak are served in Texas every day, not counting any prepared at home.

1844-1850 - The origin of the Chicken-Fried Steak probably comes from the German people who settled in Texas from 1844 to 1850. As Wiener Schnitzel is a popular German dish that is made from veal, and because veal was never popular in Texas and beef was, the German immigrants probably adapted their popular dish to use the tougher cuts of beef available to them.

Chicken-Fried Steak Recipe
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg
2 tablespoons water
3/4 cup buttermilk baking mix (such as Bisquick)
2 pounds bottom or top round steak (cut into four individual portions), pounded well to tenderize
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Milk Gravy (recipe follows)

In a shallow pan or plate, sift together flour, salt, and pepper. In another shallow pan, combine egg and water. In still another shallow pan, place baking mix. Coat steaks in flour mixture, dip in egg mixture, and then coat with baking mix.

Preheat oven to 150 degrees F. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add vegetable oil and heat until a drop of water sizzles. Add coated steak pieces, in batches, and fry 4 to 5 minutes per side or until golden brown and thoroughly cooked (add additional vegetable oil if needed). Remove from pan and keep cooked steaks warm in preheated oven. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the cooking oil. Put the frying pan back over the heat and make the Milk Gravy.

Milk Gravy:
2 tablespoons pan drippings
1 tablespoon al-purpose flour
2 cups milk, heavy cream, or evaporated milk, room temperature
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

In the same frying pan with 2 tablespoons pan drippings, over medium heat, sprinkle flour over the oil and blend with a wooden spoon or whisk until smooth. Whisking or stirring constantly, slowly pour in milk, cream or evaporated milk; continue stirring, scraping loose browned bits from the bottom and sides of skillet, until the gravy begins to boil and thicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 to 8 minutes or until gravy is thickened to the desired consistency and the flour has lost its raw, pasty taste. Remove from pan and serve hot with the Chicken-Fried Steak.

Makes 4 servings

That I promise to follow. :D I just hope it would taste the way I imagine it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back