Staying off the drink (3 Viewers)

John, if it's not causing a problem in your life, then it's not a problem.
If your bird's first reaction to this is "Why?" and not "Well, that's a good idea!" then I wouldn't rush too quickly in to this.
Well the irish times articles have me a bit scared because it's exactly not people who have an obvious problem with drink:

“If only I had known” is something they frequently say, when I explain their liver is damaged as a result of their consumption of alcohol. They genuinely had no idea they were drinking alcohol in the quantities that could contribute to serious health issues or even death in their 30s or 40s or older. It is difficult to see young mothers faced with potentially fatal liver damage and a short time to live make arrangements for their children. Often these are women who are not dependent on alcohol, but are in the habit of regularly drinking. They buy wine and other alcohol as part of the weekly shop.

they're all women though. Men can literally drink more it seems, although I don't really want to be hanging on to that hope.

The liver disease page seems pretty vague on what it's possible to know.

If you need any more unasked for advice, just post something on any topic and I'll work it in there.
It's not unasked for advice, it's opinions for free, direct to you, the customer.

That is pure scare-mongering there

I've known more than one person die from booze.

You have to really commit to it despite efforts to stop. It doesn't hit you out of the blue.
“If only I had known” is not something people say then
Everyone knew. Words were had.
The liver disease page says:

Each individual is entirely different. Complication can develop after 5 - 10 years, though it more commonly it takes 20 - 30 years. Many individuals appear to never develop end stage liver disease from alcohol. This is impossible to predict ahead of time.

which is either fantastic news or just depressing cos science is clearly about as useful as common sense here.

it was a specific website and this is the relevant topic
Absolutely. And this is the first thing they say
Each individual is entirely different.
The best way to know you're not some outlier that will need urgent care in your 30s is to speak to your doctor about it. From what you've said about your habits, it's highly likely you will not be experiencing liver failure any time soon.
Fifty quid spent on your GP is a far better investment in your well-being than 50 spent in Grogan's. It just won't feel like that at the time.

Be happy! Just do it with knowledge in your back pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back