Stabbing at all ages gig yesterday (25) (1 Viewer)

I'll accept that and also that this isn't security for no reason (getting stabbed in the face is pretty serious - especially so when you're a teenager), but security alone can't repair the damage that an attack like this will do to a community.

But,if there is going to be more gigs,the police will be showing up. there is no way they will ignore them after someone has been bottled. So by having some kind of security it will seem to them that the organisers don't want a similar situation.
I would imagine anyway.

weeler said:
I'll accept that and also that this isn't security for no reason (getting stabbed in the face is pretty serious - especially so when you're a teenager), but security alone can't repair the damage that an attack like this will do to a community.

It may not be able to repair the damage, but properly trained security staff may be able to defuse further escalation, at least at the venue doors.

My experience from Giros with this kind of trouble:

- would I rather have people stand up for themselves rather than let themselves be pissed about by local hardmen? Certainly.

- have I seen such acts of standing up and refusing to be pushed about escalate into further violence? Certainly.

- have I seen properly trained security staff employed by the organisers escalate situations into further violence? No.

security on the venue may stop violence at the venue and thus remove the stress from the gig collective.

This is a small community and the venue is out of the way so these guys will surely just attack the kids as they head back to the DART/BUS or places of worship..

If basta was just a promoter then there would be no real problem (for them) - but seeing how it has such a large community built around it they do have a problem.

(this is just how i see it anyway)

weeler said:
Look, I'm sure you mean well but people deal with things differently in the DIY community.

I don't actually know how this DIY thing your doing works, maybe this is in a different thread already and I could read up? Like i work as a promoter, there's a crowd of people who always go to the gigs, but that's as much of a community as we have. Don't think that would really change whether you should have security or not though.

James_sb said:
Like i work as a promoter, there's a crowd of people who always go to the gigs, but that's as much of a community as we have.

Our community extends beyond that.

What would be the problem with having security at the gigs(other than financial)?
If it does prevent violence from escalating then I can see no problem with it,also pressure should be put on the gardai and council to sort it.
I don't think going into the "get back at them" scenario is the best or safest option.

mac warzonescum said:
True, but there is nothing inherently conradictory between being DIY and having security staff.
except that you're not able to take care of your own security yourself, perhaps?

the problem with having security at gigs, and i don't think this needs to be pointed out, is that bouncers tend to be maladjusted aggressive assholes who get a kick out of power-tripping on kids trying to get into gigs, or just discriminating against people they don't like the look/tone of voice/hairstyle of. i reckon we're better off trying to attract more big, violent but loyal-to-their-social-group guys into the scene. then they wouldn't even need to be paid. sloth from the goonies being the ideal prototype.

Plenty of smaller gigs that had bother at them were sorted by people working or just at gigs in Giro's. I'm sure people like Mac will have plenty of experience of this too.I know I broke up my fair share of fights and threw a few people down the stairs on occasion as well. I think in some ways finding "real" bouncers is better because it removes any repurcusions(sp?) on people involved. I also understand why people ,in the punk scene anyway, have problems with bouncers.
It's a very tough call,but one that maybe should be considered/discussed if gigs are to continue where the bottling happened.

well, personally i blame the beverage-packaging companies. if bottles were made of foam rubber none of this would have happened. i call for a witch-hunt against cantrell and cochrane, ltd.

Maybe some people could offer to be "security" or whatever at gigs... and whoever is going to do security meet up and decide how best to treat situations... depending on lots of tihngs of course.

it's not as though people with the necessary characteristics of a bouncer are exactly typical of punks though, is it. maybe if there was a sXe scene in dublin...

but.. why would we want people with those characteristics? they're poxy characteristics.. if people were gonna volunteer to be security then presumably they'd be staying sober and just keeping track of things in a sound enough way and would have plans for what to do if shit hit the fan..

where's Rob Daly when you need him, eh? off in the fucking outback thats where!....he used to do security for atlantic homecare in coolock- shit don't get rougher than coolock, especially at that shop- it gets burnt down regularly. or so i believe

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back