Spotify...its grand and all (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 442
  • Views 30K
  • Watchers 12
i fucking love lyric fm and i really hope it doesn't go away. how much of the tv license goes to radio, i wonder? i don't have any tv receiving equipment but would nearly get a license anyway if i thought it was supporting lyric. favourite being week nights with john kelly, and then bernard clarke. even when i'm driving and listening to the radio i'm generally on lyric because everything else is just a horrible noise. always get a laugh when i hear aideen gormley's voice - all i can visualise is the female author "polly clarke" from the father ted episode "and god created woman"

apart from lyric, sometimes in the evenings there's decent music on raidio na life, near fm, dublin south fm or dublin city. seriously though, the rest of it is just made to irritate you into paying attention to the even more irritating ads they'll be playing

i fucking love lyric fm and i really hope it doesn't go away. how much of the tv license goes to radio, i wonder? i don't have any tv receiving equipment but would nearly get a license anyway if i thought it was supporting lyric. favourite being week nights with john kelly, and then bernard clarke. even when i'm driving and listening to the radio i'm generally on lyric because everything else is just a horrible noise. always get a laugh when i hear aideen gormley's voice - all i can visualise is the female author "polly clarke" from the father ted episode "and god created woman"

apart from lyric, sometimes in the evenings there's decent music on raidio na life, near fm, dublin south fm or dublin city. seriously though, the rest of it is just made to irritate you into paying attention to the even more irritating ads they'll be playing

Same. Or if it's between 2-4pm I'll stick on moncrief on Newstalk

So, is Amazon the best of the *streaming* services in terms of paying the rockers?
FWIW I don't think you can judge that on price-per-stream. Spotify's payment-per-stream is skewed downwards by their free tier, which none of the other streaming services have, but it actually brings in more money, of which 70% goes to paying for the music

For example this says that Apple Music pays "the same 52% headline rate to all users" ... so if that means it pays out 52% of the gross it gets from every subscriber then it actually pays out less per-paid-subscriber than Spotify does, and the reason it's able to claim a penny-per-stream is solely because they've no free tier

Probably the fairest way to judge this would be total payout divided by number of paid subscribers, so you could see how much of your subscription goes to paying for the music every month

Well, you can really, I think. If I'm splashing out 15 quid a month to one of these service providers, who's going to more fairly pass on my money. That's all I really want to know.

Surprisingly, it seems Napster is still a thing and top of pay per stream pile!

Well, you can really, I think. If I'm splashing out 15 quid a month to one of these service providers, who's going to more fairly pass on my money. That's all I really want to know.
What I'm saying is price-per-stream doesn't reflect how fairly your money is passed on. If Apple and Spotify cost the same, and Apple pays out 52% of its income and Spotify pays out 70%, then Spotify is giving more money to artists despite its payout-per-stream being lower

It's like that new thing Minm - they're paying out 90% of their income, but they're only charging a fiver a month. If everyone subscribing to Spotify switched to Minm right now, artists would be worse off because they'd be getting a share of 4.50-per-month-per-subscriber (90% of a fiver) instead of 7.00-per-month-per-subscriber (70% of a tenner)

Off on a tangent.

Does Amazon still give buyers a free rip of any cd's/ vinyl bought? And ate they still selling( I've only heard of this now) made to order cd's that are CDRs?

It's like that new thing Minm - they're paying out 90% of their income, but they're only charging a fiver a month. If everyone subscribing to Spotify switched to Minm right now, artists would be worse off because they'd be getting a share of 4.50-per-month-per-subscriber (90% of a fiver) instead of 7.00-per-month-per-subscriber (70% of a tenner)

You keep saying that but

my spotify is a family acc with 5 users who are all heavy music listening people. We pay 18 between 5 for the service. 3.6 euro a head. I suspect this is the case for a large number of users and arguing on a single usage case that 70% is smaller than 90% is kinda not a foolproof point. Even if there were 3 in my 'family' it'd be less. Right now. i'm paying less through spotify to artists than i would through minm because 90 is bigger than 70.

Of the 4 available spotify packages,

1 pays artists more
1 pays artist marginally more
2 pay less

The latter two have more people using them than the first two.

arguing on a single usage case that 70% is smaller than 90% is kinda not a foolproof point.
Indeed you are right. That's why I said

egg_ said:
Probably the fairest way to judge this would be total payout divided by number of paid subscribers, so you could see how much of your subscription goes to paying for the music every month

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back