Spotify...its grand and all (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 442
  • Views 30K
  • Watchers 12
... I mean even with that it's hard to say because subscription cost different amounts in different countries. I'm not arguing that Spotify is the best for artists, rather that the usual numbers people throw around (like price per stream) don't really tell you anything about which service is best for artists

edit: Actually I just realised this probably isn't obvious, so I ought to say it out loud - I'm not pro-Spotify, I just think almost all the reasons people give for why-Spotify-is-bad are poorly thought-out

Last edited:
This guy breaks down what he's been paid for all the services, it's interesting, but to Eggs point, it would be more helpful if he included how many times he was played on each service, not just the value of each play

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think you're all dancing around the issue.
They paid millions to one guy in a bid to "own" podcasts they way they "own" music.

Oh and since then they have been cancelling podcasts who play music.

I'm not into downloading music except when I'm sent files.
youtube does the job.
if I buy something off bandcamp, it has to be on hard format.
I won't support amazon or spotify.

Does anyone subscribe to youtube?
I might pay a few Euro per month not to have adverts on youtube but 12 Euro p.m. is far too much.

you can get youtube premium for a couple of quid a month if you sign up over an Indian VPN

i've... heard.....

Family membership: ₹189/mo

189 Indian Rupee equals
2.21 Euro

basically since youtube came along there has been no online inventions or 'apps' that made much difference to me.

I recently joined instagram, my second ever social media site (myspace was first in the 2000s)
I can't imagine ever posting anything on it and its a bit boring.
a few friends who are a lot more interesting than me insighted me to sign up.

I'm not into downloading music except when I'm sent files.
youtube does the job.
if I buy something off bandcamp, it has to be on hard format.
I won't support amazon or spotify.

Does anyone subscribe to youtube?
I might pay a few Euro per month not to have adverts on youtube but 12 Euro p.m. is far too much.
Not subscribed, but I run YouTube Vanced on the phone. No ads.

I buy a lot of downloads off Bandcamp and the occasional physical release (although I've had issues with items not arriving in a timely manner) and I steal the occasional album off Soulseek but most of my music listening is via YouTube, ads and all. The ads are getting too numerous though. I will never, ever use Grammarly or Asana. I hated Spotify from Day 1, it's mad it's been around as long as it has.

I recently bought a boombox and have been listening to old tapes and CDs and it's mad how much music you forget you both liked or if you're a musician, you wrote. It's fascinating hearing crappy tapes and knowing it's me playing but having no recollection what I was on about.

Why did you hate Spotify from day 1? Surely it's better than YouTube?
are you serious?

the amount of music on youtube dwarfs spotify.
in the early days youtube didn't have much audio tracks but about 2009 onwards there was an avalanche of full albums, demos, radio sessions, live recordings posted there.
most stuff I want to hear isn't on spotify at all.

again I am not their target audience - I buy lots of records, never got to grips with downloads and never had a smart phone until 2020, so I am probably labouring the point.
is the sound quality better? e.g. you can actually hear the bass!

the best thing about youtube is not the technology. it's simply just a one stop shop for billions of hours of music.

I always found YouTube full of unofficial rips of music. I'm sure it's gotten better,but it's definitely no easier to find music on than Spotify.

are you serious?

the amount of music on youtube dwarfs spotify.
I don't think "amount" counts for anything much - both of them have WAY more music than is possible to listen to in one human lifetime. Youtube is full to the brim with shitty-sounding versions of stuff and riddled with ads - it's way easier to find stuff on Spotify, it sounds better, and all the playlists and recommendations make it easy to explore genres/musical cultures that you don't know. Youtube is a last resort for music for me for stuff like Reflex revisions that you can't get on Spotify cos they're borderline illegal

I subscribe to youtube its great. No ads. Good music app.

I know I could do all this for free and better but I have better things to be doing with my time.

Like looking at ads for guitars

I subscribe to youtube its great. No ads. Good music app.
Honestly, I subscribe to Spotify, it's great, no ads, good music app.

The idea that any of these streaming businesses were going to bring equality or a living wage to musicians or wanna-be musicians. lol. I wonder did I fall for that at one point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back