Spit on me Dicky (1 Viewer)

there's been a few threads about this before...ask nggerllbath

zulus-jbx.jpg

this stuff is fuckin great. but depressing. but great

http://www.irish-showbands.com/

There's some great venues in Limerick now completely closed up and being used for god knows what. This kind of shit is great and highly depressing in Limerick's case. I've went and tried to visit most of the places listed there and the amount of simply abandoned venues is insane. The best example is the Royale (aka: The place they shot the Eurovision scenes for Father Ted in) which is pretty big inside (Boyzone played there!) and is now just sitting there empty.

There's some great venues in Limerick now completely closed up and being used for god knows what. This kind of shit is great and highly depressing in Limerick's case. I've went and tried to visit most of the places listed there and the amount of simply abandoned venues is insane. The best example is the Royale (aka: The place they shot the Eurovision scenes for Father Ted in) which is pretty big inside (Boyzone played there!) and is now just sitting there empty.
yeah, same in cork. they could be sitting there years too until some people may 'appropriate' them and the shades will be around within a week to clear it. good example being the artists squatting this massive building next to 96fms, still fuckin vacant 5 years later

is the royale the one on cecil st? i went to juggling lessons there once. a friend fell off a unicycle and broke his arm

is the royale the one on cecil st? i went to juggling lessons there once. a friend fell off a unicycle and broke his arm

Yeah. AKA The Atheneaum. The Limerick VEC have ownership of the building at the moment and have done some work to the office and use it for their main offices but the hall itself (the Royale) is currently sitting derelict..

Yeah. AKA The Atheneaum. The Limerick VEC have ownership of the building at the moment and have done some work to the office and use it for their main offices but the hall itself (the Royale) is currently sitting derelict..

It was the Royal cinama when I was a kid.

I saw Superman and ET there.

Then there were rats downstairs and you only see films from the balcony. it was closed for a couple of years before coming back as a venue

Termights was there for a good spell.

It's a handy size venue - not too small not too big.

I remember hearing something about a arthouse cinema going in there - not sure about the truth of that - God knows the city could do with it.

it would seem that the 50s and 60s werent as shite as we are often led to believe with all these music venues everywhere and showbands pulling in huge crowds every night of the week. and there were more cinemas about the place than you could ever hope to shake a stick at in your whole life. my parents and the next door neighbours often get drunk and end up remembering how they used to go courting in various dance halls and going to different cinemas. i do recall my dad saying limerick was always a kip though and that he went there once around 1960 to go to some dancehall and got chased up and down the street by teddy boys.

these days some of the country bands that play about the place pull in loads of money every night and you'd never really hear about any of it unless you were living in cavan/monaghan/longford etc and into that scene but it wouldnt be that far removed from the old showband scene i think. shite music and dancing.

It's a handy size venue - not too small not too big.

I remember hearing something about a arthouse cinema going in there - not sure about the truth of that - God knows the city could do with it.

How many people can fit in there? I think I was there once or twice when it was a cinema but I don't remember it at all.

I heard that too, there's a tread somewher here from about two years back when the idea was first floated. Maybe someone needs to get onto the VEC and see what's up. They're probably hoping some rich developer will come and buy it off them though..

How many people can fit in there? I think I was there once or twice when it was a cinema but I don't remember it at all.

I heard that too, there's a tread somewher here from about two years back when the idea was first floated. Maybe someone needs to get onto the VEC and see what's up. They're probably hoping some rich developer will come and buy it off them though..

Similar to Temple Bar Music Centre
Fit a good couple of hundred downstairs easy.

Sounds like to perfect place to just go in and setup a gig in there, no questions asked.....reckon ya'd get away with it?

yeah, same in cork. they could be sitting there years too until some people may 'appropriate' them and the shades will be around within a week to clear it. good example being the artists squatting this massive building next to 96fms, still fuckin vacant 5 years later

In fairness, that's undergoing major renovations at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back