Soundgarden reform... (1 Viewer)

Honestly, pearl jam are no worse than soundgarden.

I saw sg open for gnr years ago and they repeatedly screwed up and stopped playing their own songs in front of thousands.

The drummer literally just threw his hands up and stopped playing at one point.

Axel praised them because they could write songs about fucking, not making love.

What a lame farce.

Speaking of Pearl Jam... I remember walking into a well know music store chain in the early 90s, seeing the CD and tape cassette of "Ten" on sale for some really low price... $5 for the CD and $3 for the cassette... 2 weeks later the "Even Flow" video was all over MTV and classic rock radio stations were playing grunge. I walked back into the shop for something else and the cassette was $14 and the CD was $19.

It was bizzare how Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains changed the music industry over night. It really was that quick. Had a huge knock on effect... anybody could start a band. All ages venues opened up and bands that were unknown to most of us were getting attention and getting signed. Melvins would be a great example of this. It was a cool time to be a teenager.

One minute MTV VJs, kids in school, and your sibblings were wearing bomber jackets and listening to G n' R and Mariah Carey the next week it was Tartan, Doc Martens, and Nirvana.

I'd love to see a new wave come again... only other time I can think of that music had that much social impact was Beetlemania.

Temple of the Dog must be a fantasy come true so.

Temple+of+the+Dog.jpg

Temple of the Dog must be a fantasy come true so.

Temple+of+the+Dog.jpg

It's easy to take the piss now. Laugh at the fashion and music but half the bands people listen to were inspired to pick up instruments after listening to these guys. Sure, they drop names like Sonic Youth and Joy Division in interviews but they wouldn't have even known about those bands if it wasn't for Seattle bands attaining meteoric stardom.

It was good music that appealed to many people, and it was good music to start on.

Nirvana got me into the Melivins, Sonic Youth and the Jeasus Lizard. Pavement got me into The Embarrasment...

It's easy to take the piss now. Laugh at the fashion and music but half the bands people listen to were inspired to pick up instruments after listening to these guys. Sure, they drop names like Sonic Youth and Joy Division in interviews but they wouldn't have even known about those bands if it wasn't for Seattle bands attaining meteoric stardom.

It was good music that appealed to many people, and it was good music to start on.

Nirvana got me into the Melivins, Sonic Youth and the Jeasus Lizard. Pavement got me into The Embarrasment...

This also happened with Britpop, the Strokes/Hives 'garage' stuff, Emo, Pop Punk, even Nu-Metal.

in fact it happens all the time.

This also happened with Britpop, the Strokes/Hives 'garage' stuff, Emo, Pop Punk, even Nu-Metal.

in fact it happens all the time.

Not on the same level as Gunge. I'll give you brit pop, but Brit pop was after grunge.

Before grunge all that was on the radio was classic rock, hard rock and new country. You had the occasional college radio stations that played good stuff but most the radio was crap... like it is today.

in the early 90s the music industry invested millions if not billions into grunge and to a lesser extent Hip Hop.

In remember watching Daytime TV talk shows putting on bands like The Supersuckers! Major labels signed up anyone from anywhere who was remotely grunge sounding (Paw, would be a good example of this).

Nu Metal, Emo, Pop Punk, have never had this level of impact.

I love temple of the dog. fuck 'grunge'.

Me Hoops.

Back on topic...

As long as it's not a massive venue I'm totally gonna go see them live.

Major labels signed up anyone from anywhere who was remotely grunge sounding (Paw, would be a good example of this).

i quite liked Paw. i have both albums and they weren't bad. saw them in the tivoli once. there was NOBODY there. i was 13/14 when grunge was big so it had quite an impact on me. being into metal, grunge was like and excuse to like tunes.

Not on the same level as Gunge. I'll give you brit pop, but Brit pop was after grunge.

Before grunge all that was on the radio was classic rock, hard rock and new country. You had the occasional college radio stations that played good stuff but most the radio was crap... like it is today.

in the early 90s the music industry invested millions if not billions into grunge and to a lesser extent Hip Hop.

In remember watching Daytime TV talk shows putting on bands like The Supersuckers! Major labels signed up anyone from anywhere who was remotely grunge sounding (Paw, would be a good example of this).

Nu Metal, Emo, Pop Punk, have never had this level of impact.

yeah maybe on a wide scale not as big an impact.

But I think the, uh, paradigms, have changed these days anyway. As Bob Lefsetz never fails to point out, the future appears to be in niche markets. But I guess that was your point, that you'd like if it wasn't?

Again, I think soundgarden got big because of the time. They were not a mass appeal band, they should not have been as big as they got. Perfect example WAS that RDS gig, they're playing Limo Wreck or something to thousands of people who'd be much happier with Teen Spirit. That story of them not being able to play their own songs makes perfect sense. Same thing is happening with the reunion, it really should not matter to many more people than the pavement reunion of the MBV ones, but it will get massive attention and they'll end up headlining ox***n and everyone will hate it.

I have very fond memories of Louder Than Love coming out and getting into drop D tuning and then being blown away by Jesus Christ Pose.

But we all know it was King's X who taught these grunge people everything :)

i quite liked Paw. i have both albums and they weren't bad. saw them in the tivoli once. there was NOBODY there. i was 13/14 when grunge was big so it had quite an impact on me. being into metal, grunge was like and excuse to like tunes.

Grany Fitch is a friend of mine. Paw were awesome, they may be reforming as well. I know they did a gig in K.C. recently Shiner and Giants chair reformed for it as well I beleive.

yeah maybe on a wide scale not as big an impact.

But I think the, uh, paradigms, have changed these days anyway. As Bob Lefsetz never fails to point out, the future appears to be in niche markets. But I guess that was your point, that you'd like if it wasn't?

Pretty much.

I think the only thing kingsx taught the world was that the world only room for one moderately successful black metal-lite band.

And in the 1990s it was living colour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back