Something nice, please? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter jane
  • Start date
  • Replies 148
  • Views 7K
  • Watchers 3
'if you pout, you're out' that's awesome! gotta file that away in my 'material to greatly annoy people with' mental storage facility!

Alan Remorse said:
i actually felt like bursting into tears readin this

You should have seen me. I was actually crying in public. I got a little whimpery standing on the corner, and turned to a guy and asked what he thought 'we' should do (assuming that everyone, of course, would want to save the life of a little kitty). I think he pitied me more than the kitten, but we both started looking around to see if we could get some of the road workers to help.

Of course, before we could do anything, the big truck....it was so awful. I just started weeping. Just standing there, watching this helpless creature suffer, and then being unable to help it myself, was just heartbreaking -- not to mention embarrassing. It was almost a relief to see that it was put out of its misery (I won't describe what it looked like, but it didn't look too hopeful), but still, so sad. I just hope there isn't some little kid walking around his/her house wondering where the kitty went. If I see any 'Cat Missing' posters around....god, I'll puke with the sad.

I had to hold a dog down while it received a lethal injection once...and that was pretty bad, but this, Jeebus....the gore and violence. I can't get it out of my head, just bouncing up into the air, not even making any noise...breaks my heart into tiny little pieces.

jane said:
. Just as I'm standing there, waiting to figure out what to do next, a fucking articulated lorry runs right over the poor little creature, and you know what happens next.
that's shit,
I saw a cat getting run over last week

trucks and their drivers eh?

the "suffered minor injuries and treated for shock" brigade

murderous pricks.

if i'd witnessed it i wouldnt have been able to sleep for days, seriously. I cant handle seeing animals hurt, its really awful but i have much less of a problem with seeing humans hurt than animals, not sure why... i guess its just the helplessness of the situation.

when i was a kid i was actually plagued by my fear of witnessing animals being hurt. Then i saw a black and white kitten being killed by my neighbour's dog and i practically crumbled into dust, and was traumatised forever

this is why i am in an emo band. If it wasnt for that, i'd be making drum and bass music.

Alan Remorse said:
if i'd witnessed it i wouldnt have been able to sleep for days, seriously. I cant handle seeing animals hurt, its really awful but i have much less of a problem with seeing humans hurt than animals, not sure why... i guess its just the helplessness of the situation.

when i was a kid i was actually plagued by my fear of witnessing animals being hurt. Then i saw a black and white kitten being killed by my neighbour's dog and i practically crumbled into dust, and was traumatised forever

this is why i am in an emo band. If it wasnt for that, i'd be making drum and bass music.
It's nice to see that I'm not a complete freak for being so upset about this.

I have a lot of trouble with even thinking of little kids or animals being hurt. Adults, too, sometimes, but there's something about innocence, and about there being a failure on the part of those responsible for looking after the little kids and animals that makes it so distressing.

A couple of months ago, when I was out running, I stopped to pet a greyhound puppy, one of my favourite sorts of creatures, who proceeded to crawl into my lap and wrap her head around my neck, nuzzling like mad. She belonged to a homeless guy, who told me that the dog didn't take to most people that well, but that I could have her if I wanted her, since he was going off to the 'joy and she'd otherwise be put down.

Soon as he said that, the dog kind of turned and looked up at him, wagging her tail, as if to say, 'Yeah, this chick is alright.' Of course, I can't have a dog right now, so I couldn't take her, which totally broke my heart. She didn't want me to leave, and nuzzled like she'd fucking invented it. Heartwrenching. My friend and I were both a bit weepy over it, but we dragged ourselves away.

Sorted out a foster home for it when I got home (Animal Rescue are great), but, in the end, he decided to have a friend look after it instead. Thing is, I see the friend around sometimes, but no dog. Dunno what happened, and not sure I want to.

Goddamit, the heartbreak!

Wait, wasn't this thread supposed to be about NICE?

sorry, yes it was... eh, puppies. that are loved.

indeed, its the helplessness i tell you... i'll set up an animal shelter one day, that or i'll turn into a crazy old cat-lady.

Alan Remorse said:
sorry, yes it was... eh, puppies. that are loved.

indeed, its the helplessness i tell you... i'll set up an animal shelter one day, that or i'll turn into a crazy old cat-lady.
I wish I weren't so allergic to so many animals, or I'd do more with them. Can't even go near a cat (though I certainly would have today), and some dogs make me a bit sneezy, too. I'm a big fan of the aul dogs, though, so I pretend I just have a cold, and they don't seem too offended.

jane, here's a red panda smelling it's bottom. these always cheer me up. i mean, they're nothing like pandas!!!

zoo-red-panda-01.jpg

jane, when i was 11 or 12, it was hallowe'en and some kids called to the door. i had a dog called chase. he ran out the door across the road and got hit by a stolen car. we carried him inside, half the neighbourhood followed. we put him lying on the kitchen floor, tried standing him up but his legs just gave way. i was crying, i stood there looking at him for a few minutes not knowing what to say or door. he started bleeding out his nose and an older girl from down the road started crying. i asked her why she was crying and she just told me it would be ok. it wasn't ok. but i have the most amazing memories of him. any time we gave him a sausage, he'd bark at it for ages until it cooled down, like it was purposely being hot to annoy him. he used to pee on his belly to because he was so excited all the time, he couldn't stand still long enough to piss properly. and then we got another dog called belle. when she was 1 she had a litter of puppies, 5 of them. cocoa, africa, dinka, chase and baxter we called them. we kept dinka and mother and daughter grew up together. belle was an animal, literally. she ate everything. she died of old age because her heart gave out but she died with a biscuit in her mouth! i think that was the only time in my life i was ever actually laughing and crying at the same time. dinka, her daughter, lived to be 14. this is my hand and dinka...

dinka.jpg

they were all amazing! :) we even tracked baxter down one day. he was a cheeky bastard, tried to hump me after 5 minutes!

you need both though... you'll have forgotten about that kittie in a couple of days, not because you didn't love her, but because you don't have memories of her. it's a horrible thing, to witness anything dying, to have something just plucked from your life like that. you have no say in it. but if you loved what's gone, after a while, you only remember the good things. i don't know what my point is. i'm sorry about the kitty but i'll tell you more stories about my dogs when i see you. this was for liadan.

I doubt I'll forget watching that poor thing suffer. The gore alone will give me nightmares. It's just sad watching helplessness in any context.

I mean, we domesticated these animals (or, at least, humans did long before we were born), so there's an assumption that we have a responsibility toward them. If they're helpless, it's because we have one, made them reliant on us, and two, projected the definitions of our own human emotions onto them. That's what can make it so gutting to see or to think about.

I don't think many of us would get so upset seeing animals killed in what we would perceive as 'natural' circumstances, but when it's through human action (and the initial running-over probably was just an accident, though the fucking truck driver knew what he was doing), we feel personally affected.

Jane, if it cheers you up any, on the way home from work yesterday I saw these two German kids hold up the traffic so they could run out and take a stunned bird out of the middle of the road. It didn't seem to be badly hurt, but it was shocked to bits and just crouching there letting the traffic hiss over it, till the kids came along. It was kinda neat to see- they were so serious about it too, the way kids are. Stuff like that has to go some way to make up for the awful kitten story, in whatever double-entry bookkeeping system the universe is using these days...

here's a picture of me puckering up to a basset hound pup.

as you do.

Attachments

• woofwoof.jpg
    woofwoof.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 32

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Jim White & Marisa Anderson (Thrill Jockey)
Whelan's Main Room
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin 2, D02 H527, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back