Solar PV (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter egg_
  • Start date
  • Replies 269
  • Views 8K
  • Watchers 1
A lot of that saving came from moving as much stuff as possible (like EV charging) to the 2am-4am lowest-rate window anyway - no PV needed.
Look, I don't know how the 'smart' shit works and all that, right, butttt - is it not the case that if everyone was using smart meter or whatever and took this step based on what was meant to be cheapest, then would it not be that the power grid would need loads more energy between 2-4am, and then they'd have to charge like 'normal' price for electricity in that period suddenly?

Look, I don't know how the 'smart' shit works and all that, right, butttt - is it not the case that if everyone was using smart meter or whatever and took this step based on what was meant to be cheapest, then would it not be that the power grid would need loads more energy between 2-4am, and then they'd have to charge like 'normal' price for electricity in that period suddenly?

In time there could be a change -

the peak times traditionally were the 8am-9am and the 5pm to 7pm. Showers, tea, hairdryers, kettles, cookers, heaters etc etc. this used to be addressed by firing up the hydro stations to meet the demand surge. At present it seems to be mostly between wind and gas turbines and the %'s are made up between import

Overnight there is still excess for the meantime with lack of open offices, supermarkets and restaurants and stuff that there isn't a surge that takes up pertty much 100% of demand. I knew anecdotally that the grid in donegal at peak times was running at capacity during the daytime peaks. from 2-4am you'd just have power stations/wind turbines on idle possibly exceeding demand hence the hard sell on that time window.

here in the past 24hrs there was still about 1000mw between day and night demands and the trough is around that 2-4 window.

1688233180609.png

PV disaster! We had someone from from ESB Networks replacing our master fuse on Monday morning (something they are doing to old houses). Turns out the solar needed to be reset (switched off and back on again). We just copped that today because the water wasn't heating up. Dammit.

PV disaster! We had someone from from ESB Networks replacing our master fuse on Monday morning (something they are doing to old houses). Turns out the solar needed to be reset (switched off and back on again). We just copped that today because the water wasn't heating up. Dammit.
This is why you ABC (always be checking) the app

just signed up the new house on a smart plan with Bord Gais. For the first 12 months I get a 15% discount and free electricity on saturdays (up to 100 kw/h per month)

thats not too bad. I'm hoping in 12 months time I'll be ready to put the solar into the new place and I reckon I'll get 10 panels on easily on the south-facing side of the roof.

especially since july was so wet.

Not even just so wet, definitivly the wet by which all others are judged.

1.5 tonnes of c02.

IReland: 345 grams of carbon dioxide per kilowatt-hour

To save 1.5 tonnes your solar needs to make 15kwh per day in july.

The panels are around 400w on a great day but then accounting for night time and all the rest and the wet july clearly I can deduce that he's got about 120+ solar panels on his roof.

NEver mind me, just doing math over coffee here

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back