So who's going to win the Mercury music prize 2007? (1 Viewer)

if they had a grand vision or direction or something i'd be ok with it but it just seems to be references for the sake of references, to prove that they read books and like art

ah you could level this at hundreds of bands, Manic Street Preachers, Dexys, Queen, Zepplin (Jesus Zepplin worst of all), even Young Knives are a very 'stylised' band references to the Wicker Man, the mod suits, etc, etc... I'm sure the Klaxons feel they have some Direction or Vision and that the litriture references applys to it.

End of the day it's more interesting and entertaining then a pack of school boys with bad haircuts ripping of the Las and calling themselves The View

iron maiden had numerous refernces to the bible, they didn't always go on and on about it when they won the mercury music award. they might have mentioned it once at donnington, but that was it.

Eddie studied theology at college before he dropped out to play keyboards before he died in a carcrash before nico mcbrain burned the irish flag on stage

Klaxons are saying that their bibliography was taken out of context.

I don't know about iron maiden. I'd say they used to read on tour when they weren't colouring their school bags.

ah you could level this at hundreds of bands, Manic Street Preachers, Dexys, Queen, Zepplin (Jesus Zepplin worst of all), even Young Knives are a very 'stylised' band references to the Wicker Man, the mod suits, etc, etc... I'm sure the Klaxons feel they have some Direction or Vision and that the litriture references applys to it.

Well, from the ones that I know there, Dexys and Manics (when they were good) had a vision of sorts and used references to make their points clear rather than just for the sake of using references.
Klaxons on the other hand apparently took their name from the futurist manifesto. Do they have some sort of futurist vision or feel that the futurist aesthetic applies to them orwhat?
Adam and the Ants had several early songs about futurists but the point behind these was drawing a parallel between punk rock and futurist ethos.... a point that became completely lost fairly quick as punk became whatever it became....

Klaxons don't talk about anything but a vague 'creating a new world' in their songs; they sound like an encyclopedia entry for themselves in interviews: no vision of their own just what someone might observe looking in from the outside.

Yes i am thinking too much but I enjoy it.

End of the day it's more interesting and entertaining then a pack of school boys with bad haircuts ripping of the Las and calling themselves The View
this much is true

No Sweat had load of references to keeping fit and sports in their lyrics (and their name) and on their seminal release "heart & soul" even thanked Joe Elliott, Karla Elliott, Malvin Mortimer, Peter Mensch & Rick Savage for the 8-a-side games they used to enjoy on the street outside windmill lane whilst cutting the album.

Lord_Iffy.jpg

The_Missionary_Position.jpg

as i have clearly indicated on myspace, these are 2 of my favourite books

The opening paragraph of their wiki page says "The word 'klaxon' is derived from the Greek verb klazō, meaning "to shriek", which i think holds the world record for trying too hard.

FYI, dublin 90's stalwarts "the beatless" used to have loads of references to "the beatles" in their songs too, so its not unheard of to reference things within a song, lyrically or otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back