So, erm, that article in the Times about the bank bailout everyone is reading (3 Viewers)

I thought that Liveline was way out of order. The level of vitriol that Joe encouraged was way over the top. So the man took his kid to work? I think there are more important things to be worried about

You listen to liveline and you know what you're getting yourself into.

It probably would have went down better on Adrian Kennedy

Mark-Dearey--Daisy-Gogart-007.jpg

Herself and the teddy bear would probably do a better job of running the country.

I thought that Liveline was way out of order. The level of vitriol that Joe encouraged was way over the top. So the man took his kid to work? I think there are more important things to be worried about

joe is a complete clown who likes nothing more than to blow things out of all proportion,witness the head-shop 'debate' a few months back,major storm in a tea cup stuff.as suggested by john that sort of hysteria is better left to late night phone in shows that are only listened to by drunks,drug fiends and angry loners.

I agree, his job at the presser was to sit there and not say anything, a job that can easily be done with an infant in your lap.

He tried repeatedly to make that point to the shrieking harpies of Joe Duffy land.

I must stop listening to that show...it's bad for my nerves

this lad is saying that the german banks used our financial system to behave the way we allowed but germany didn't, so by forcing us to bail out the banks they are forcing us to save their european banking systems at irish expense

The more I think about this, the more I agree with the sentiments of this article.

I'm not so sure about his first point. Do we really all agree that depending on foreign investment/multinationals for our economy is a good thing? Giving them whatever they want, terrified that they will pull out. They pay wages but don't invest in the country itself, that's how these things are seen to work right?

and I say this while working for one.

I'm not so sure about his first point. Do we really all agree that depending on foreign investment/multinationals for our economy is a good thing? Giving them whatever they want, terrified that they will pull out. They pay wages but don't invest in the country itself, that's how these things are seen to work right?

well,obviously its not ideal but for now we need to keep/get all the jobs we can,once the worst of this affair is over we can concentrate on setting up viable,sustainable business' that won't bolt the country at the first sign of bad news.
in a rare good news story,the ida are working their bollix off getting new companies to set up shop here so should be congratulated on that http://www.sbpost.ie/commentandanalysis/positive-signs-amid-the-gloom-52967.html

It's unbelievably unfair on Irish people. Of course the government should change and the banks should be punished. AIB and Anglo Irish are especially poor banks who have made outrageous loans and operated outside their means. Fianna Fail should have been ousted decades ago, but hopefully this will be their death knell.

However this crisis is something far, far bigger than Ireland - and Ireland is currently the pivot it's balancing on. Germany being an export-driven economy needs to have a weak currency. Poorer economies in the euro help drag down its value. But a rich Ireland with strong connections to the US was far more beneficial to Germany than one inextricably linked to a Euro-sceptic UK. Ireland was, and to some degree still is, by far the most the most attractive place to invest in Europe (and for more than just the Corporation Tax reason). Having Ireland in the Euro was much better for Germany than not having it there. A small, but booming, economy was exactly what was needed by the EU. Ireland benefited massively - that's obvious. But it wasn't just one-way.
The Euro is genuinely fucked. Portugal will go under, and then Spain. It will happen - this may slow down the crash, but it's still happening. And I wouldn't bother learning Chinese either. They're fucked if the whole deck of cards falls down too - possibly even more so than the West. At least we won't have factories full of junk we can't sell.

David McWilliams on the radio again this morning. Gist of it is that by taking the IMF/EU loan we are simply saddling ourselves with more debt that we can't possibly pay off (at least without ruining our economy in the meantime). His solution is to negotiate a debt-for-equity swap with the bank's creditors/bondholders.

Oh, and that we need someone with big balls to negotiate with the EU about this ...

David McWilliams on the radio again this morning. Gist of it is that by taking the IMF/EU loan we are simply saddling ourselves with more debt that we can't possibly pay off (at least without ruining our economy in the meantime). His solution is to negotiate a debt-for-equity swap with the bank's creditors/bondholders.

Oh, and that we need someone with big balls to negotiate with the EU about this ...

There is an argument to just go ahead and accept it. If the Euro is genuinely doomed, money will be meaningless is a few years time - so the debt won't actually be worth anything.

I reckon this will wind up with the US nuking somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back