so back to college time!!! (1 Viewer)

Sprinkles said:
yeah actually...alot of the blonde arts girls do look the same!
i should've done a course that i got a computer with...do science students get a computer? or is that the business students...coz if science students get a shit week and no computer then i can understand their jelousy of everyone else.
what are you doing? arts?

Yeah, UCD is a bit of a dank hole, this is my fourth year out here and i swear to fuck there are more 'OHMIGODS' and 'yayas' than ever before, but you're not alone in thinking that. Slap a pair of ear phones into your ears, and strut around with absoulte contempt for everyone around you, cos usually they deserve it. Get stoned, and turn up late for tutorials, and realise that just like lectures you don't really need them either. Stay in bed till you feel like getting up, let the guilt grow, but still ask yourself every september how you managed to get into another year of arts. Arts is a sweet one, theres nothing a lecturer will tell you, that you cant find out for yourself if you read. And the rain, a flooded UCD, thats usually one of the better reasons to stay home in bed and listen to morning radio and read.

The contemptuous seek each other out in the end, and usually tis fine.

Check http://www.ucdsu.net/diy.php for setting up society information, whereas if you hop along to the political section of the boards and check out a thread called 'freshers week monotony'. You are definetly not alone in it.

Antrophe said:
Yeah, UCD is a bit of a dank hole, this is my fourth year out here and i swear to fuck there are more 'OHMIGODS' and 'yayas' than ever before, but you're not alone in thinking that. Slap a pair of ear phones into your ears, and strut around with absoulte contempt for everyone around you, cos usually they deserve it. Get stoned, and turn up late for tutorials, and realise that just like lectures you don't really need them either. Stay in bed till you feel like getting up, let the guilt grow, but still ask yourself every september how you managed to get into another year of arts. Arts is a sweet one, theres nothing a lecturer will tell you, that you cant find out for yourself if you read. And the rain, a flooded UCD, thats usually one of the better reasons to stay home in bed and listen to morning radio and read.

The contemptuous seek each other out in the end, and usually tis fine.
fuckin funny though how all these omigods and yayas that you've so much contempt for actually appreciate the privileges they've been afforded and make use of their time at college rather than being smartarsed about the privileges they themselves are squandering. har de har ha...ha....ha. making jokes about how pathetic you are doesn't make you any less pathetic.

unless you were being sarcastic of course. the problem with sarcasm is it seems to have no limit and rapidly doubles, triples, quadruples back on itself until not even generation x-ers can tell where sarcasm begins and irony ends.

Get stoned, and turn up late for tutorials, and realise that just like lectures you don't really need them either. Stay in bed till you feel like getting up
...is that mentality the reason why a surprising number of arts students repeat?

re: the 'get a laptop' remark on the previous page, they dont just 'get' laptop. i know they have to buy it, but its cheaper i think. dont they only have to pay a few euro a week or something? like €5? and they pay that over the course of their degree. the reason im jelous is because they use computers in their course. i dont use one in mine.

Well from my understanding, they had to buy it (or get daddy to!) and pay for it in full at the start of the year. Then give it to their department and pay them to add some sort of UCD thing to it too. I know this as I had a friend who once had to do just that before they decided to quit. They were left with no degree and a laptop that was all UCDed out of it.

By the way, what are you doing in UCD? I presume you're also in Arts. Do Geography -it's amazing.

no, do Linguistics! it's deadly. nearly as deadly as English.
[smug] i love college [/smug]

Today this American girl came up to me and said she liked my Neurosis t-shirt, and I ended up drawing her all these maps of how to get to Mero's and Murder City etc, because she hadn't found any Pnuk Rock in dublin yet. it was pretty cool. blah to not knowing people - there's always someone nice around to talk to.

Regards a mentality that leads to dropping out, I'm sure if you stay in bed all day, and that is all you do, then sure, yeah you are bound to drop out. However, as I said, there is nothing a lecturer can tell you in arts that you can't find out for yourself if you read the books. Its about self responsibility as much as anything, that I can study stoned is one thing, if you can't well, obviously don't.

That is not showing some over privileged lack of respect for the privilege of going to UCD, but common sense in arts based subjects. I probably know more people that have failed despite going to lectures daily, and never reading course material. The difference of approach is hardly subtle, its the difference between viewing education traditionally as a banking system where you show up, consume whats on offer, bank it all up in your head and go home educated on the basis of what it is your lecturer has told you. In the case of history for instance, a lecturer on the french revolution, could for instance have become burnt out by left wing politics, rejected marxist analysis and potentially spend a whole course ridiculing it and by it his own youth. If you were to bank that, then you'd have a pretty skewed view. Of course, read a marxist take and it'd seem the poor lecturer, former member of the British CP, was just a little disillusioned after the fall of the wall, much like english radicals were after the rise of Napoleon.

When people speak of privilege and education, what you are talkign about is anj inequality of opportunity and differentiation. For instance, most of the most intellectually informed people I know never went to college. privilege in college is not only the fact that you have the opportunity to educate yourself, but on a more base level it is that the way that education you engage in is commodified, with an economic value placed on it once you are handed a piece of paper with 'degree' stamped on it. That economic valuation is the privileging process at colleges end, as is the speration of who can afford and can't at its start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back