So...Against me to play TBMC (1 Viewer)

tommytrousers said:
but they feel they have been the victims of constant sniping from the extreme fringes of the DIY scene so they just threw their hands up and went the whole hog on what big business was offering them.
I think this is an often overlooked scenario in punk/hardcore. It's pretty much the same as how mainstream media buids up bands to knock them down. It definately is a case of popularity is not welcome in punk/hardcore scenes as any band who gets populer gets knocked by the too punk for their own good type. It really is a shame as bands who have or had the potential to maybe have a positive influence end up not feeling welcome by the people who made them popular in the first place.

Call me naive but are they really taking "what big business is offering them"?
They could have signed to Sony straight up instead of Fat Wreck? A lot of you will say that there's no difference.
I can't stop liking them and will be going to their gig to enjoy it.I don't know a whole lot about them as i only have the new album so I suppose I don't feel so "betrayed"...

I thought this was a pretty good break down/analysis:

(ps. the new stuff is piss compared to the old stuff, seriously!)

Problematic said:
Well Fat is distributed by Red (which is a subsidiary of Sony) so they are pretty tied to a major, Against Me had nothing to gain by signing to a major when they know the only big advantage to a major is distribution, they have this with Fat so it is all neat and tidy for them. Against Me are astute businessmen, they know Fat pays higher royalties than the majors, and they also know that they will sell well on Fat and they know they will be able to continue to make records on Fat for as long as they want. If they did sign to a major, there is a tiny chance they would break big like Green Day but considering they are nowhere as near poppy or accessible, chances are they would sell fuck all in major terms and consequently be shopping for a new label in 12 months time. Their decision to go with Fat had nothing to do with ethics and everything to do with buiness. They can work with and make money for a major but not “actually” sign on the dotted for a major. Stuff like how much or how little they spent on a video is just cosmetic bullshit, they could have spent a lot to make it look a little, either way their video budget is a redundant point. The point about the DVD is the same, it is their DVD, of course after all the shit they’ve gotten they were going to show all the big record execs and how they turned them down to stay punx. Also Lam, the thing that gets up peoples ass about Against Me is the lack of integrity once the cash appeared. Against Me worked very hard to build an image around not caring about money and wanting to do everything for free. To me, that is a problem, not that they are successful and making money and being top notch businessmen, just that they got popular by making themselves out to be the opposite. There is huge difference in “a world where music is free” (their words) and putting together a hugely professional money making machine that involves guarantess, contracts, merchandising licences and seriously questionable package tours. Anyway, I could go on and on about why this band are a sack of shit but you wanted only one valid reason

I'd just typed out a large reply to this thread and i read back and i figured certain people would jump on it and point out what they could consider ethical loopholes, so i'll just say that i think the vast majority of this thread is far too punk for it's own good, a lot of it is people seeing what they want to see in the dealings of bands that have been put in positions where they have to make certain moves and have done so with the best of intentions, and far too little of it is from people who actually see what's happened/is going on (namely what gary was saying about bands being put in unfortunate positions by PUNX).

Just in relation to Fat (W)rec(k)ords, I have done a gig for at least one Fat band and the band and everyone that was with them were all really really dead-on funny people, they had a good time playing in Giro's in the middle of Winter in front of about 80 people, and they weren't particularly worried about money at all, they just wanted to play in Belfast and see what it was like. As far as I am aware they are not involved whatsoever in the running of the label, but they signed to it and they were fuckin sound guys.

Cormcolash said:
Just in relation to Fat (W)rec(k)ords, I have done a gig for at least one Fat band and the band and everyone that was with them were all really really dead-on funny people, they had a good time playing in Giro's in the middle of Winter in front of about 80 people, and they weren't particularly worried about money at all, they just wanted to play in Belfast and see what it was like. As far as I am aware they are not involved whatsoever in the running of the label, but they signed to it and they were fuckin sound guys.
Shut the fuck up Cormac, we are trying to look punk here. Sheesh!

niallmc said:
Out of interest has anyone asked Against Me what their take on this is?

why bother asking the band about this? its much more informative to read the veiws of uptight punk kids on the internet

is it weird for a band who've dedicated years to playing their music to somehow want security or a decent return on years of work?

how many people talkin shit have worked half as hard as against me! on their own music/art/whatever?

keep talkin shit and that's all you'll ever be good at.

Oh ffs stfu about this band whoever the fuck they are, loads more bands out there.........jeez you'd swear your ole granny had brought home a toyboy the way yas are all going on
;/

Cormcolash said:

Exactly which sound guy did they fuck? Enquiring minds want to know.

JANER said:
Oh ffs stfu about this band whoever the fuck they are, loads more bands out there.........jeez you'd swear your ole granny had brought home a toyboy the way yas are all going on
;/

You shouldn't say shit like that man.My granny is signed to a major.

"against me! are astute businessmen"......Dylan, whoever the fuck said that sounds more like a fucking conspiracy theorist than a fan of the "underground music scene". That post just makes the person look like a crazed lunatic who's looknig into everything far too much. By that arguement you could say that thats the reason EVERY band "signs" to FAT (they don't really sign to be honest, its merely a verbal agreement that they will release a record on FAT).

So then Dillinger Four aren't a bunch of drunks and heroin addicts playing punk music because its what they love to do- they are astute businessmen! How could we have been so blind!!!! Boycott Dillinger Four now!!! The bastards only wanna sell records....same goes for those capitalist lovin' cunts strike anywhere and propagandhi.

theres a load of bullshit in this thread - for example people complaining about this but then going to the pogues the other night to see a madly expensive greatest hits show in a bouncer laden barn promoted by mcd

preaching diy til theres a corporate band you wanna see and straight away the cash gets splashed - bullshit.

this is the kind of hypocritical preaching shite that turned me off catholicism all those years ago.

if you cant walk the walk dont talk the talk

i'm off back to the real world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back