Sleater Kinney to play Dublin in August! (1 Viewer)

cheryl said:
it's a bit hard ignoring people around you at gigs though. you just want everyone to be enjoying it as much as you and when you look around and people are standing with their arms crossed it's annoying...these are people taking space up the front.
there was these two girls standing in front of me who only danced for one song. they were wrecking my buzz. then i went and stood in front of them, next to this deadly girl in a stripy top who was singing along to everything. that was much better.

ps i want to marry the guitarist with the brown hair (can never remember which name is which, guh)

Super Dexta said:
there was these two girls standing in front of me who only danced for one song. they were wrecking my buzz. then i went and stood in front of them, next to this deadly girl in a stripy top who was singing along to everything. that was much better.

ps i want to marry the guitarist with the brown hair (can never remember which name is which, guh)

SleaterKinney_Carrie.jpg

Carrie.... who doesn't.... the moves, the moves!

I was jigging about like an eejit all through the show just cos I've owed it to myself for so long, you know?

Super Dexta said:

I dont mean to be rude, just because some people dont dance doesnt mean they arnt enjoying the music etc. And about the singing am I the only person that finds it annoying that when you are trying to listen to a band play something live and then you have some fucker beside/behind you reck it for you but shouting the words in your ear?

There was a dude in front of us that danced a bit too much. rockin gig though. I liked the support band, even though their songs were all the same.

oh shit said:
aw thanks, but i don't think a man can be a feminazi. only pro-feminazi, or a feminazi sympathiser.

it's fairly bucketing down now! i do hope the venue has a roof!
watch out or john waters might write an article about you, ye article.

thanks for that link to the mp3's Mc..

ive downloaded the joblot to itunes and made live sk cd now..

gig was amazing...when they walked on i was just in awe that at last there they were...
carrie brownstein is just too fucking gorgeous... janet is an example to all drummers in every band, and corins voice and stare is piercing.
intense night.
i was at the front in front of carrie, getting lost in the whole buzz of the thing..
entertain, one more hour, dig me out, jumpers and
'sit down baby, lets kill some time, rest your head on this heart of mine' just made me explode inside...
sheer amazing experience.
talked to carrie after (as you do) and she does seem shy, but nice..asked why itd taken so long to come over to dublin..she said they were always given too short a time to fit dublin in but she really enjoyed the gig and they might be over again next may..
anyone know what the 27 tattoo represents?

between this gig and antony and the johnsons for gig of year so far...
(although magic numbers, bloc party and interpol at oxegen..) (and iron maiden last night were pretty terrific..) (oh and pete murphy was good..) (so was tori amos in vicar st actually..)
nah sk get it for their complete coolasfuck women vibe.

can i just add that i thought stagger lee were brilliant..
(i felt) definate pj harvey thing going on there...
in lead singers appearance, voice and attitude..
great serious sound from band.
great drumming on second last song...
.|..|

Roisin said:
I dont mean to be rude, just because some people dont dance doesnt mean they arnt enjoying the music etc.

I thought it was fairly well known that S-K buzz off the audience's buzz, and if the audience
isn't totally into it, jumping and screaming, they don't play as well. I was amazed that they
didn't say something about how little movement there was in the crowd. But then again, we
all shouted loud enough to make up for the stillness and folded arms.

I'll always remember when AC TEMPLE played Dublin - everyone I knew who saw it was
completely gobsmacked, but one of them told me later that the band's impression
was that we were just waiting for them to impress us. But really we were too impressed
to move.

Now to be fair to the people standing on the concrete floor of TBMC - not only was there
the usual dead floor to stand on, but the walls were sticky with the heat, and (out at the
edges anyway) the floor was covered in empty glasses and bottles. I went as near to the
front as I could for "Lets Call It Love", and kicked against 10 glass empties on my way.

So maybe the people who wanted to dance just didn't want to trip or fall on broken glass?
Or the crowd was packed so tight that there wasn't room?

TBMC should have either served all drink in those crappy plastic glasses, or they should have
checked people for glassware at the doors to the venue room. Asking them to do what Whelans
do, and send bar staff out to collect empties, would have been asking a bit much.

I spent most of the gig on the balcony (my Modern Girl came with me, and she's not the
tallest, so it lets her see the band properly), and there was plenty of room up there to dance.
She now likes the Kinney a lot more than she used to, and not just The Woods.

As for the singing along - I was seriously expecting it to be like a Beatles live album:
all screaming, all the time.

cheryl said:
it's a bit hard ignoring people around you at gigs though. you just want everyone to be enjoying it as much as you.
Yeah, it can be hard sometimes not to assume that just because you bought your ticket for
the gig on the day it went on sale, and have every record put out by the band and all of their
side projects, that everyone else must be just as much of a fan as you are.

For a while it seemed like I was the only one there dancing, but as I had my eyes closed for
the songs that really moved me (YNRNRF, Jumpers, Oh!, w+g) it didn't bother me that much.

Carrie looked like she was well into it though - lots of high-kicking and rock-goddess shape
throwing. Here's hoping they come back in less than a years time.

McGonagles said:
Yeah, it can be hard sometimes not to assume that just because you bought your ticket for
the gig on the day it went on sale, and have every record put out by the band and all of their
side projects, that everyone else must be just as much of a fan as you are.

For a while it seemed like I was the only one there dancing, but as I had my eyes closed for
the songs that really moved me (YNRNRF, Jumpers, Oh!, w+g) it didn't bother me that much.

Carrie looked like she was well into it though - lots of high-kicking and rock-goddess shape
throwing. Here's hoping they come back in less than a years time.

nah, it's not that everyone there should be going mad dancing and singing BUT if you're at the front of a gig, I'd assume you were a big fan and therefore you might be getting into a bit more. If I was at a gig and I didn't really like the band that much, I wouldn't be standing right at the front...it's just rude to the true fans (and small people).

cheryl said:
if you're at the front of a gig, I'd assume you were a big fan and therefore you might be getting into a bit more.

Absolutely - if you are up the front, you should be ready to move around a lot, with the
hardcore fans who have had their elbows on the stage since just after the doors opened.

If all you are doing is tapping your toes and maybe nodding your head, you're ruining it
for the people whose view you are blocking (there will always be someone taller than you
in front of you, no matter how tall you are, and no matter how short you are, there will
always be someone shorter than you hating you for blocking their view), and for the band
(who might be thinking "what are we doing wrong, we're playing to a big wall of folded arms").

lady lucan said:
can i just add that i thought stagger lee were brilliant..
(i felt) definate pj harvey thing going on there...
in lead singers appearance, voice and attitude..
great serious sound from band.
great drumming on second last song...
.|..|

seriously, don't bother, after this

gig was amazing...when they walked on i was just in awe that at last there they were...
carrie brownstein is just too fucking gorgeous... janet is an example to all drummers in every band, and corins voice and stare is piercing.

i'd say any other band you recommend is probably shite too

as we're on 'janet'
am i the only one to think that if shes been drumming for years her arms should have been well muscular?
instead of looking like ahe had thighs for arms?

@ oh shit.
fair enuff.
you got me there.
.|..|

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back