Sleater Kinney - The Woods (1 Viewer)

Pantone247

Since 2000
Website
pantone247.blogspot.com
uh... is the whole album meant to be distorting like this?

I had to play this 10db quiter then the last record I was listening to (The National on Beggars Banquest from this year) too stop my speakers frying

Anyone else heard this yet?

Igor said:
i only have a couple of mp3s from the woods, they're all pretty loud but only "the fox" distorts like a mofo, marketing innit!

Marketting? I dunno, made it too track 6 and had to turn it off...

not good marketting in my book...

Modern Girl, track 5, sounded like my right speaker cone was ripped or something... just fucking hiss and crackle... it sounds terrible!

I put on Squeeze straight after and it sounded so smooth and warm and lovely, like putting Sudacream on my burnt out ears! :)

Pantone247 said:
uh... is the whole album meant to be distorting like this?

when i downloaded this ages ago i thought the dodgy sound was just the fact someone encoded it poorly. then i bought the album and it's the same. very annoying in places. maybe that's what they want, but it sounds crap.

Stacy said:
when i downloaded this ages ago i thought the dodgy sound was just the fact someone encoded it poorly. then i bought the album and it's the same. very annoying in places. maybe that's what they want, but it sounds crap.

well thank God, I though maybe I'd bust my ears or speakers or got a shitty copy or something...I would actually feel ripped off if I had paid money for this record, like buying a kettle that squirts boiling water at you everytime you make the tea and then the dude in shop goes "whats the matter wussy, can't handle the boiling water!!!"

from Dave Friedeman's website...

" It would seem that the new Sleater-Kinney album is causing distress amongst certain of the audio community and other types of purists. I would venture to wonder if perhaps we are becoming afraid of.....ROCK!!!????? Could it be even worse that the people that are really rocking are women? Maybe it is just fear of change. I dunno. People are really riled up and a lot of people really love this album too. So...It would seem, a success. Don't blame Greg; it was mastered correctly. Don't blame this on Dave; he didn't write it."

It's pretty funny when people have to make every issue a gender issue... or do I mean it's pretty depressing...

marketing meaning when people listen to the first track on instore cdplayers or other goods-sampling type things they think "wow" this rocks so much it makes my ears hurt!" or something.

marketing for kids not audiophiles.

Pantone247 said:
Marketting? I dunno, made it too track 6 and had to turn it off...

not good marketting in my book...

Modern Girl, track 5, sounded like my right speaker cone was ripped or something... just fucking hiss and crackle... it sounds terrible!

I put on Squeeze straight after and it sounded so smooth and warm and lovely, like putting Sudacream on my burnt out ears! :)

I did notice how the album didn't sound as clean cut as the others. It's still pretty swell though. Except Let's Call It Love. I have a pick with bands who have super long songs, especially at live shows. yawnfest

you tried it on headphones?
presume no better

The recent Go Betweens, Oceans Apart may possibly be the most obnoxiously compressed CD of all time. For a semi-acoustic record it is horrendously loud and Jon Astley should not be allowed within 100 feet of ANYONE'S masters. It almost sounds like playing vinyl with a fuzzed-up stylus.

yes! thought it was a dodgy advance rip too when i downloaded ages ago. sucks that actually sounds like that on record. ain't gonna buy it anyways, lame album.

I agree, it's too raucous. What else did Jon Astley master, apart from his brother, Rick?

nlgbbbblth said:
you tried it on headphones?
presume no better

The recent Go Betweens, Oceans Apart may possibly be the most obnoxiously compressed CD of all time. For a semi-acoustic record it is horrendously loud and Jon Astley should not be allowed within 100 feet of ANYONE'S masters. It almost sounds like playing vinyl with a fuzzed-up stylus.

Anne OMalley said:
I agree, it's too raucous.

Things sure have changed here on Walton's Mountain....

Nah, just kidding. Heard this in work the other day and thought the speakrs were fucked. And not in a good way! It workes ok on 1 or 2 songs but it makes most of them sound really shit.

yeah i agree totally - i think the same is gonna happen to sleater-kinney what happened to velvet underground. when they overdistorted their second album, white lines white shit or something, the band was forgotten totally. and that's because audiophiles rule the world !cheezy

jaakko said:
yeah i agree totally - i think the same is gonna happen to sleater-kinney what happened to velvet underground. when they overdistorted their second album, white lines white shit or something, the band was forgotten totally. and that's because audiophiles rule the world !cheezy

difference is White Heat/White Light was an amazing album that sounded fantastic, The new S.K. makes your stereo sound like it's broken and gives you a headache... and VU weren't actually totally forogtten were they???

I don't why the audiophile comment keeps coming up, I can assure on and all I wasn't listen to this on my Harmen Kurdon anything, just yr standard piece of shit stereo... going to take it home and give it a run on the big speakers... see if it makes more sense...

Is there anyone who likes the mastering on this record?

I guess this is where I think the mastering debate can get out of hand really. Not having been there, I can't say this with a hundred percent certaintity, but I very much doubt that the loudness/distortion on this record was added by Greg Calbi, and even if it were, I would say that that it would have been at the request of the band and or producer. I'd say judging by the calibre of those involved in the production of this record that any 'crapping out' is completely intentional, and is an 'artistic' choice rather than a participation in the all too prevalant 'I can be louder than you' phenomenon.

I also find this record too distorted to listen to.... but I guess I just wanted to make the point that loudness/distortion can be as much an artistic matter as a commercial one and in this case I reckon it's an artistic one..

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back