skiing/snowboarding in italy (1 Viewer)

F. Fred Palakon

i'm thinking of going skiing or snowboarding or something, maybe in the italian alps. anyone ever been? any recommendations?

went snowboarding in folgaria a few years ago - terrain was ok, snow was kinda shit. not much to do in the town either....

i also snowboarded somewhere else near there but cant remember the name of the place. the fact that it's kind of forgettable prob doesnt help you much either!

:eek:

As an aside there's been very little snow in the Italian alps the last few years. Really fucked with the kayaking season over there.

Ah feck. Was hoping that as I'm near-ish it might be chaper to stay Italy. I need a holiday and I can't take any more sun.

Well, here's yet another opportunity to plug Innsbruck....

It's only about 20 miles from the Italian border, and I don't know about the quality of snow (because I know nothing about skiing and snowboarding) but I think they're only snow-free in the height of summer. When we were there in mid-April, the peaks were still covered and people were skiing and snowboarding, although I reckon it was more an 'eke out the last bits of snowy Alp' than, 'Wheeeeee! Alp!' Think their season might start fairly early. In August, we stayed in a place in Igls (just outside of Innsbruck) that was about 20 metres from the cable car up the Patscherkopfel, but there are other peaks that actually still had a bit of snow on them in August.

Anyway, it's deadly. Brilliant. Lovely. Gorgeous. Igls was pretty uneventful, but there's a bit of aul life in Innsbruck. I'd say it's a nightmare during the super-high season, but if you go at the beginning or near the end of the ski season, it's great. Even during the summer, which is also quite busy, it was still relaxing and not too thronged with people. Rome must be absolutely nuts right now. And all summer. And most of the year. It's as beautiful, amazing and thrilling as it is hot, dirty and frustrating. Expensive nowadays, too, I think.

Austrian snowfall wasn't too bad this year afaik. Austria's deadly too.

i went riding once in andorra which was pretty fun, snow was pretty good too but that was years ago. alps are gonna be tricky this year after last year. i was in zermatt in december and although it had the best snow for the region, it was still not what i would consider great. have you thought about bulgaria?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back