Sicario (1 Viewer)

MacDara

Contributor
Website
macdaraconroy.com
602194768a8e459c848a96abe269a0b9_XL.jpg

Sicario confirms Denis Villeneuve as one the best horror filmmakers going today, says MacDara Conroy

Continue reading...

Went to see this today and I agree .. it's really good. The raid into Juarez scene is superb .. really tense and brilliantly done. There was one thing about it that really confused me though so spoilers ahoy ...

The bit where the Emily Blunt character hooked up with the dude in the bar .... so afterwards it seems that she was being used as bait by the "CIA" types. I get that once she revealed herself to the cartel by going into the bank, then the cartel were going to come after her in some way, and the "CIA" dudes knew this and trailed her from then on in the hope that they could land a cartel-stooge and then extract information from them (which they did). But ..... her partner brought her to that bar and the cartel-dude was there already. Unless her partner was also cartel (which he clearly wasn't) then this doesn't make any sense to me. How did the cartel-dude know to be hanging out in that particular bar in order to hit on her? Also .. the bracelet thing. This seems kind of ridiculous too. It's just the fashion among cartel-affiliates to have those bracelets in their possession??

I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious here ...

Went to see this today and I agree .. it's really good. The raid into Juarez scene is superb .. really tense and brilliantly done. There was one thing about it that really confused me though so spoilers ahoy ...

The bit where the Emily Blunt character hooked up with the dude in the bar .... so afterwards it seems that she was being used as bait by the "CIA" types. I get that once she revealed herself to the cartel by going into the bank, then the cartel were going to come after her in some way, and the "CIA" dudes knew this and trailed her from then on in the hope that they could land a cartel-stooge and then extract information from them (which they did). But ..... her partner brought her to that bar and the cartel-dude was there already. Unless her partner was also cartel (which he clearly wasn't) then this doesn't make any sense to me. How did the cartel-dude know to be hanging out in that particular bar in order to hit on her? Also .. the bracelet thing. This seems kind of ridiculous too. It's just the fashion among cartel-affiliates to have those bracelets in their possession??

I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious here ...
I had more or less the same question

Her partner had called that guy to meet them as a secret/surprise blind date/fuck. Remember he had been complaining to her that she needed new bras - i.e. she should be getting laid.
So I think we're supposed to deduce that Jon Bernthal (cartel cop) already knew that when his old buddy the partner called, that partner was in with her on this super-duper hostage crew and Bernthal got together with his cartel drug bosses and a plot was hatched.
I get it, but I think it's weak.

And the bracelet too. But at that point there were too many "Wut?" alarms going off for me.

I just kind of assumed he was one of many hit men looking out for her. My understanding of this kind of thing is pretty bad

When I got home I watched this. Good doco about the Cartel situation and the vigilante groups rising up in the towns the Cartels operate in. There’s some mad bits in this where the camera is right in the middle of shootouts. Also lots of people getting smacked around and tortured on camera, murders, assassination attempts and beheadings. Scary stuff.

Cartel Land (2015) - IMDb

I can see the Michael Mann connection particularly in the Juarez scene - lots of sunglasses-wearing macho cops/criminals armed to the nines driving around the place and ready to blow away anyone who gets in the way. But I really don't like Mann and I liked this so ....

My theory on the scene discussed above

Yer man was a dirty cop, but he hooked up with Emily Blunt just because, but when she spotted the wristband and twigged that he was dirty he then decided that he had to kill her.

That doesn't resolve why BDR was keeping tabs on her hooking up with that dude. Unless he was just keeping tabs on her as they knew *someone* would be coming for her and weren't necessarily thinking it was some guy she took home from the pub.

My theory on the scene discussed above

Yer man was a dirty cop, but he hooked up with Emily Blunt just because, but when she spotted the wristband and twigged that he was dirty he then decided that he had to kill her.

That doesn't resolve why BDR was keeping tabs on her hooking up with that dude. Unless he was just keeping tabs on her as they knew *someone* would be coming for her and weren't necessarily thinking it was some guy she took home from the pub.
I don’t think so. The way the camera picked him out in the bar and the way he was looking at her with purpose suggested he was there on a job.

I don’t think so. The way the camera picked him out in the bar and the way he was looking at her with purpose suggested he was there on a job.

Perhaps it was one of/combo of:
1. His buddy, her partner called him and said he was bringing a friend down with him. He was on at her to get her some, maybe he felt the same about his other divorced mate.

2. Emily Blunt is pretty hot, I'd look at her in a bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back