Shock Podcast 16 > Cian Ó’Ciobhain... (1 Viewer)

Shock

Website
www.stateofshock.net
header.jpg

The Shock Podcast#016 November 2008 by Cian Ó’Ciobhain.
[Click icon to subscribe through itunes or rss]

Brand new Podcast and yet another stunning installment from regular contributer Cian Ó’Ciobhain. He’s been so kind as to talk us through each track. If you want to subscribe to the Shock Podcast:
Click here to subscribe through Feedburner
Click here to subscribe through itunes

01 Grouper – Disengaged
From an LP called Dragging A Dead Dear Up A Hill on the consistently interesting Type label, this stark cry in the night comes across like a startled My Bloody Valentine, lost in the woods, miles from the comfort zone of their mountain of amps.

02 Paavoharju – Pimeänkarkelo
This Finnish collective have two LPs on the Fonal label, the latest from the summer just gone. Like a freak folk version of The Avalanches, they like to construct tunes from splicing together all kinds of sounds. Plundering the works of others has never sounded so imaginative: this mini-masterpiece incorparates elements of psychedelia, folk and field recordings with a few bells, choirs & creaky gates in the mix.

03 White Noise – Love Without Sound
Delia Derbyshire, one of the creative minds behind White Noise, is often mentioned as a pioneering influence on electronic music by the ilk of Aphex Twin. Their sound was light years ahead of its time – this song from their landmark 1968 LP An Electric Storm sounds like something from a modern day PSAPP or Broadcast LP.

04 The Sound Of Lucrecia – Answering Machine
I’m sure The Sound Of Lucrecia from Colombia is also familiar with the work of White Noise – this is from the third installment of the Four Women No Cry series on Monika Enterprise.

05 James Yorkston – Woozy With Cider (King Biscuit Time Remix)
Nothing like a hungover Celtic soul, casting an anxious eye over the events of a wedding where his enthusiasm may have got the better of him.

06 Gwen Maze – More Than Love (Anthony Collins Remix)
Lovely warm aestival house on the Supernature label – 100% French.

07 Moodyman – The Thief That Stole My Sad Days… Ya Blessin Me
Eight years old, from the classic Forevernevermore LP… does anyone make house music this life-affirming anymore?

08 The Cure – The Caterpillar
The Cure soundtracked my teenage years and I connected with them again this summer, through their 80’s singles collection. Listen as this one soars to a higher place.

09 RickoLus – Ceremony
‘Ceremony’ by Joy Division/New Order is my all-time favourite tune. I’m always on the look-out for covers and found this one online recently. I love the arrangement, the use of French accordion and though I haven’t been totally won over by the vocal, I do appreciate the fact that you can hear every word distinctly. You see, when New Order covered the song (as their first single), they only had a few badly recorded bootlegs of Joy Division’s last gigs to go by, and it was nigh impossible to make out what Ian Curtis was singing. But since his widow, Deborah Woodruff, published her memoir (and in it, all of his lyrics), every band since has been able to confidentially sing the lyrics. Versions by Radiohead, Galaxy 500 & Xiu Xiu also exist.

10 The Parsonage – Love Will Tear Us Apart
A 50-strong Glasweigan choir, on Optimo’s OSCarr label, singing Ian Curtis’ words with gusto. Again, the lyrics are crystal clear: they impact like a door slamming in the night.

11 The Supremes – My World Is Empty Without You
If you play this at a party, no matter what the time, everybody will jump up and dance, even the Ricardo Villalobos fans.

12 The Three Degrees – Reflections Of Yesterday
From my truelove’s CD collection, Philly soul, wild & free.

13 Grovesnor – Drive Your Car
Released on Hot Chip’s Greco-Roman label, this is one of my standout singles of 2008. An 80s paeon to unattainable love, from the viewpoint of a lowly chaffeur driving his rich employer through the city at night. One of those songs that manages to deftly straddle that delicious line between cheesy pop & earnest heartfelt signficance.

14 Tensnake – Congolal
Hamburg’s Tensnake made the sun shine for six minutes at a time every time I heard this Balearic beauty during the dark months of June, July & August.

15 Chad Jankel – Glad To Know You (Todd Terje Re-Edit)
Chad Jankel was Ian Dury’s (rhythm) stickman, but he also made some fine disco in his time. This space disco re-edit surfaced a few months back, around the time an anthology of his work was released on Tirk.

16 Holger Hiller – Das Feuer (Pilooski Edit)
Holger Hiller, the second native of Hamburg featured on this podcast, made his name as a conceptual composer, music producer, writer and video director back in the day. His eighties work pioneered the use of sampling and cut-up style lyrics. Trust Pilooski to unearth and re-invigorate this maudlin wig-out. I think it would sound great being sung aloud by a table of lairy drinkers at the Munich Beer Fest.

17 Dapayk Solo – A Wave That Leads You Home
Niklas Worgt makes all-pistons-go Berghain-style techno as Marek Bois and also records finger-clicking electro-pop with his friend Padberg, as Daypayk. This shimmering delight, from his recent solo LP Devil’s Home, is the one that will lead you home.

18 Paul Kalkbrenner – Sky & Sand
From the Berlin Calling soundtrack, featuring his brother Fritz on vocals, techno producer/DJ Kalkbrenner goes all ‘A White Shade Of Pale’ with this effort. If you don’t like it the first time, give it another chance, it’ll eventually sink its talons into you.

19 Felix Da Housecat – What Does It Feel Like? (Röyksopp Return The Sun Remix)
As good a tune as any to finish a night’s dancing (not that we would call this a dancing mix). We finished a 110th Street mix CD (Fast ‘n’ Bulbous aka ‘The Purple CD’) with this one in 2002. To paraphrase that great hedonist & wordsmith, Snoop Dogg, I get goosebumps when the bassline thumps.

Cian Ó Cíobháin presents An Taobh Tuathail on RTÉ RnaG/Anocht FM, Monday to Friday, 11pm – 1am. Recently, he compiled An Taobh Tuathail Vol II for the Psychonavigation label.

Click here to subscribe through Feedburner
Click here to subscribe through itunes

or copy the feed into any podcast download software:
http://www.stateofshock.net/podcasts/podcast.xml

http://www.stateofshock.net/blog
[email protected]

Next Shock Party:
Bodytonic present Optimo & Shock DJs
Advance tickets from: http://www.tickets.ie/events.aspx?searchfor=optimo

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back