Sexism, god help us (4 Viewers)

Please specify how nothing can pile on top of nothing. This is not logical.

Please be specific as to which people you are referring to.

Please define "directly affected", I need to understand your question more specifically.

Please be more specific, less generalizations. Is it more productive or not? Please define productive in relation to the situation at hand.

You've nothing to offer beyond childish sarcasm and condescension, you'll have to forgive me that I ignore your bleating.

sorry, how are you not getting the connection? the link above demonstrated it rather nicely.

In the context of where the conversation was at that time race was not a factor and no attempt was made in the post to link the two, all we got was a gratuitous reference to race with no explanation.
If someone popped up in the ISIS thread and referred to 'Muslim assholes' or in the Immigration thread and referred to 'black assholes' you wouldn't find that objectionable?

But isn't a common thing to say that the word is run by an elite of rich old white guys? There's a time and a place for nitpicking for bias.

I was thinking about this. Either way, it's appalling. If the word "action" was intended as a euphemism for sex then he doesn't understand the difference between sex and rape. If he mean't it the other way, as in some sort of physical "activity", like washing the car, then it shows a horrifying lack of understanding of the gravity of what happened.

The really mad thing though is that I don't think this guy is a stupid person. He no doubt pored over the wording of this statement in detail as it could influence the fate of his son. He still chose to use that word.

I was thinking about this. Either way, it's appalling. If the word "action" was intended as a euphemism for sex then he doesn't understand the difference between sex and rape. If he mean't it the other way, as in some sort of physical "activity", like washing the car, then it shows a horrifying lack of understanding of the gravity of what happened.

The really mad thing though is that I don't think this guy is a stupid person. He no doubt pored over the wording of this statement in detail as it could influence the fate of his son. He still chose to use that word.

I read a lot of people reading it like it was the former ;interchangeable with booty or 'gettin' some' and it didn't seem consistent with everything else he wrote. The rest was very desexualised.
You read these things all the time in court cases, family members and friends trying to keep a loved one out of jail.
I even wrote one in a domestic violence case. I think I referred to "the actions on the night in question" - or something similarly amateurishly legalese - which were godawful.
That father's letter is consistent with all of those. They're all vague on the crime and super strong on how the person is outside of that context.
Everyone's reaction seemed to turn on the interpretation of that word though.

Last edited:
I read a lot of people reading it like it was the former ;interchangeable with booty or 'gettin' some' and it didn't seem consistent with everything else he wrote. The rest was very desexualised.

That was the only way I took it. I never even realised about the alternative meaning till I read the last few posts.

That was the only way I took it. I never even realised about the alternative meaning till I read the last few posts.
I'm not saying that's definite - maybe the father thinks that digital penetration of an unconscious woman causing lacerations to her vagina and leaving dirt in it, can accurately be euphemised along the lines of his boy sowing his wild oats, and in which case, you know, get fucked.
But the tone of the letter doesn't sound that way.
Reads morelike someone might describe shooting someone as "my action that night".

Both him and the son mentioning promiscuity is head-shakingly bad stuff.

All in all though, it definitely feels like the chains have moved on this one. Progress of sorts.

In the final year of my computer science degree I went through the same experience. Again, the professor who would have been my honours advisor told me he’d fallen in love and wanted an affair, and if I couldn’t comply he’d stop advising me. This time I left academia as much in a state of despair as disgust. There seemed no point enrolling in a third field so I gave up science.
In recent months, the world of academic science has been rocked by a number of high-profile scandals in which senior scientists at leading universities in the United States, including Caltech, the University of Chicago and the University of California, Berkeley, have been called out for sexually harassing female students and junior colleagues. The litany of cases involves graduate students who have been victims of groping, explicit emails, invitations to private dinners, and demanding, childish love letters. In one case, a professor of astronomy with a known track record of harassment moved universities. No one in administration passed on the information, and so the behaviour began afresh.

With every new report, a wave of weariness washes over me: ‘Really?’ ‘Still?’ my mind cries. When will we get over this? Anger used to be my pre-eminent response, but I’ve seen so much sexism in science over the past 30 years that nothing much surprises me any more. How retrograde and boring all this is.

Why is scientific sexism so intractably resistant to reform? | Aeon Essays

Fairly sure he meant 20 minutes action as in he spent 20 mins of time in his life doing this one bad thing and he has to pay for it forever.

Mind you, if I shot someone in the head with a gun I could argue it was less than a second of action in my ENTIRE LIFE and I have to pay for it forever so it's a nonsense argument.

Fairly sure he meant 20 minutes action as in he spent 20 mins of time in his life doing this one bad thing and he has to pay for it forever.

I think so too but it's kind of unbelievable that he would not cop the connotations of the word "action" and choose to rephrase.

even the grandparents are in on it

CkotrwUUoAEW-N1.jpg:large

i don't know who these 'other irresponsible adults' are meant to be

His parents are victims in this also.
Brock Turner put his victim thorough a disgusting sexual assault. Her parents probably went through hell too. And you can bet her sister feels guilt.
He's also wrecked his own parents lives. And his own siblings. It's a shame they don't see it for what it is - although you'd have to think after reading the victim's letter they might.
But this kid has put a wrecking ball through their lives with what he did to that girl.

Obviously nothing like what he put her through. But sexual violence is a toxic act, he's poisoned a lot of lives. Relationships she hasn't even made yet are affected.

I can't believe in 2016 their lawyer didn't get them to take 'promiscuity' out of the letters. That's amazingly bad advice they got.

Mind you, if I shot someone in the head with a gun I could argue it was less than a second of action in my ENTIRE LIFE and I have to pay for it forever so it's a nonsense argument.
Your loved ones would write to the judge about how you wrote poetry as a kid, loved animals and were devoted to your grandmother. That if given a non-custodial sentence you would be a voice for gun reform, and having you in Cloverhill would not serve society.
Internet would be all "What the fuck? Fucking poetry???? He killed that dude!!!"

In Ireland I'd like your chances for getting off.
Maybe not, if someone leaked the poetry.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back