Sexism, god help us (3 Viewers)

MilevaMaric.gif

Erasing Mileva Marić-Einstein, The Woman Behind Einstein’s Math. (Women in Science 72)

Huge turnout in Dublin for Strike for Repeal the 8th. O'Connell Bridge is blocked. No mention on the RTE news yet...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's a legal minefield at the moment- you know the speed dial legal crew are hovering over the national stations on it. *some* smaller stations have opted out of covering it and gone the route of trying to clarify the legal stance on it. Why? Once it went fron being abortion rights to a specific constitutional challenge it fell into a different portion of Irish law. Result: you go for the vocal minority legal speed dial crew first, when you know you've coveted them, You hit the majority. It's not a place to work from, It is,

Very interesting...and slightly infuriating, but understandable if it's a legal issue.

Also, is this the word you meant to use here? Did you mean cowered? convinced?

I'm confused

... when you know you've coveted them, You hit the majority.

Very interesting...and slightly infuriating, but understandable if it's a legal issue.

Also, is this the word you meant to use here? Did you mean cowered? convinced?

I'm confused
Covered I'm guessing.

It does seem a bit strange that the preamble to a potential referendum cannot be covered without covering the other side first. Potentially that could be any story involving anything relating to the constitution. I know there is probably a tipping point where it balance does become a concern (such as when a referendum is actually announced) but it does seem against the public interest not to report on a decent-sized protest given that you can artificially create balance by asking the opposing side for a statement on it. Or maybe I'm just oversimplifying the whole thing?

Anyway, the lack of media coverage is obviously affecting coverage of the actual overall issue; I was playing football last night and the other team was missing a sub as the buses were affected by the march. None of the other players on that team knew there was a march and the one guy who knew there was a march didn't know what it was about. At all.

It was 'covered'. The basis is that if you take literally any constitutional issue as an example - if you only cover one side then you are heading towards a north Korean style of media. In Ireland on constitutional issues an opposition has a legal right to fair coverage. It aims to be a good model for freedom of speech. It works grand until you involve a few heavily funded special interest groups in the mix. the marriage equality thing fell under the same bus. Also I've got a headcold and everything I've typed is subject to minor error..

Your point about fake balance is correct basically. Maybe, if this is every resolved I'll write a bit about what it's like within a newsroom on these issues.. I've to tread careful though as what I write here is technically legally invaluable in a bias challenge.

It's interesting that the sports people didn't know it was on. Int erdimensional media bubble wormholes are valuable.

the lack of media coverage is obviously affecting coverage of the actual overall issue; I was playing football last night and the other team was missing a sub as the buses were affected by the march. None of the other players on that team knew there was a march and the one guy who knew there was a march didn't know what it was about. At all.

i had no idea there was a march on so tried to drive from pearse st to blanch via the quays at 12.30. clearly pearse st garda/traffic units hadn't been informed of the march either - took me 70 minutes to get from tara st to christchurch and i saw one pimply garda stranded on point duty at college green.

#repealthecollegegreenbuscorridor

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back