Sexism, god help us (5 Viewers)

But when it comes to rape how can there be any "nuances", any more than there should be nuances with stealing, murder or any other form of assault.

I know some male victims of childhood sexual assault, including several member of my extended family and one of my father's childhood friends. They were assaulted at boarding school by one of the teachers (aged only 9 or 10 at the time). None of them ever recovered fully. They got on with their lives, but two of them told me that the experience was the reason they didn't have children because they might not be able to protect them enough.

All of them said that watching that teacher walk, with references, down the avenue of the school after being dismissed (his only punishment) haunted them. Not just because he could go to another school and do the same thing, but because it made them feel like they had done something wrong, not him.

That is the reason I said I hoped you hadn't had it happen to you, because knowing those men all my life I could see how damaged they still were, are for some, even 60 years later. "Getting on with life" and "suffering for the rest of your life" are not mutually exclusive. A person can do both.

Yes, I've been assaulted more than once, one episode left me with a minor condition whereby every time a loud car/bus/whatever passed in close proximity to me I instinctively flinched, thankfully that has, for the most part, passed.

I am sorry to hear that. Did you find that it changed you? Did it make you more cautious or less trusting, more nervous about certain situations? Cause you to pay more attention to people and situations around you? Did you start to look over your shoulder if you heard someone catching up to you from behind, or make sure you got a good look at the person walking towards you, or give the guy standing on the footpath a wide berth or even cross the road?

Matt Lang said:
I've been drunk many times, even in the presence of promiscuous women who were also drunk, and I managed not to rape them, so I don't think drinking and promiscuity are the problems.

But, Matt Lang, you don't know if you raped them. That gets decided in a court, not inside your head ... and that's what scares people into seeming to sympathise with actual rapists, when in actual fact they're defending their own drunken rides.

You don't know that.
I can't but hope.

Regardless, justice needed to be seen as working here, and it failed, badly. Regardless of what that scumbag suffers, the message sent to young men of his ilk is that, rape isn't that bad really, is it.

Oh the fucking irony. This is california. Where they have the 3-strike rule. Where there are people (mostly men of African-American or Hispanic heritage) serving life sentences for having committed 3 petty crimes.

While this fucking scumbag, who has destroyed the life of a young woman - a crime many consider to be worse than murder - will be out driving around in his mustang convertible, that his daddy bought him as a high-school graduation present, by next spring.

Maybe his victim will learn to live with what happened, indeed I would hope she is strong enough to do so and can avail of the services that will allow her to do so.
You don't know that.

Again, he wasn't, he was found guilty and given what was considered to be a fitting sentence. His name is all over the internet in connection with this case, he's not going to be escaping it any time soon.
Trust me, in the circles he moves in, the worse the baracking he gets from the more 'right-on' among us, the bigger the badge of honour it will be for him.

And, yes, I do know that.

Well I dunno, "privileged white boys" is fairly broad reaching. You're quibbling over the specific semantics of a vague generalization?

Well, yeah. Generalisations don't help anything.

But when it comes to rape how can there be any "nuances", any more than there should be nuances with stealing, murder or any other form of assault.

But there's always nuance, this is why we have judges that pass down differing sentences for what is ostensibly the same crime.

You don't know that.

Right, I don't know that, hence my use of 'maybe' and 'I would hope'.

Hey, you can shout, congratulations.

And, as I have been told so many times "silence means yes" apparently - it's even been declared "consent" by some rich white assholes that preside over courts. So, by keeping quiet they are mutely approving - or at least that is what every privileged white boy in the world sees. "See, even his mother thinks she was the one that was wrong"

There's the quote in full, the issue of race has no reason to be in there and is put in (along with reference to class) seemingly as an appeal to emotion.

Yes, emotion is a human thing I'm afraid.

I know it's the staple of WHITE, privileged, gamer-gating, everything-is-just-a-fucking-abstract-theory-to-be-pondered-because-none-of-these-things-ever-affect-my-life-directly to personally attack and dismiss anyone who DARES to allow their emotions take control of them. We should all consider these things rationally using reason. Sure, there's loads of evidence, but when it's presented by people with EMOTIONS the best method of attack is to take on the semantics of their delivery, not the issue itself.

And as for the issue, well if we must talk about it, how about we have a citizens assembly at some later point.

But for now dear, you must keep control of those emotions of yours, it's very unbecoming of you really. and in public no less...

A great pile of vapid nothingness.
Please specify how nothing can pile on top of nothing. This is not logical.

Do you know that people talking about such issues
Please be specific as to which people you are referring to.

are "never directly affected" or are you just going with broad generalisations again?

Please define "directly affected", I need to understand your question more specifically.

That's generally the more productive approach to issues I find.
Please be more specific, less generalizations. Is it more productive or not? Please define productive in relation to the situation at hand.

sorry, how are you not getting the connection? the link above demonstrated it rather nicely.
He has an issue that the general made up person was described as "white". Why not a poor black asshole that preside over courts? Or just an asshole? Or just the courts in general?

Eh?

Think about it.

This is being shared by my facebook friends - some people agreeing with every word, others mocking it outright.

What makes me tired when organising with middle class comrades

"'And finally, what I’ve observed over and over again is this inherent need for middle class people to censor, control and mediate emotions. There’s a deep fear of conflict, loosing status and control. I’ve been told to be less angry on demos, less emotional at events and more serious. Stop telling me how to feel.' "

It reminded me of the way this thread has gone.

This is being shared by my facebook friends - some people agreeing with every word, others mocking it outright.

"'And finally, what I’ve observed over and over again is this inherent need for middle class people to censor, control and mediate emotions. There’s a deep fear of conflict, loosing status and control. I’ve been told to be less angry on demos, less emotional at events and more serious. Stop telling me how to feel.' "

That's just politics, innit. If you can't grasp that, then... I dunno. I don't really give a fuck.

Everyone is taking what they want from it. Some saying it's the 'typical attitude of Northern Ireland Unionists'

can't believe they let that go out with that typo

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back