Seanad referendum (1 Viewer)

was covering this stuff all day, including a two hour debate including a couple of rockstar politicians.

I went in undicided and by the end was pretty sure that no suits me best.
apparently (if anyone can disprove these points, please do)
legal contraception
civil marriage stuff
mary robinson aids stuff

all was made possible by posh people in the seanad. in the ireland that these things emerged in, i don't see how a a TD would survive a term in the dail never mind push those issues at a practical level without being mauled by the usual opportunists.

will post the audio of the interview with the lawyer guy about the court of appeal tomo sometime.

legal contraception
civil marriage stuff
mary robinson aids stuff

all was made possible by posh people in the seanad..

from wiki, sources are minimal for the article though.

Robinson's early political career included election to Dublin City Council in 1979, where she served until 1983. However she first hit national headlines as one of University of Dublin's three members of Seanad Éireann to which she was first elected, as an independent candidate, in 1969.[14] From this body she campaigned on a wide range of liberal issues, including the right of women to sit on juries, the then requirement that all women upon marriage resign from the civil service, and the right to the legal availability ofcontraception. This latter campaign won her many enemies. She was denounced from the pulpit of Ballina Cathedral for her campaigning for family planning rights for women in Ireland, causing distress to her parents.[15] Condoms and other items were regularly sent in the post to the senator by conservative critics and a false rumour was spread that the chain of pharmacies Hayes, Conyngham & Robinson was owned by her family (and so therefore that her promotion of contraception was an attempt to benefit members of her family). So unpopular was her campaign among fellow politicians that when she introduced the first bill proposing to liberalise the law on contraception into the senate, although two other members 'seconded' the initiative, political leaders did not put it on the agenda for discussion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Robinson#Career_in_Seanad_.C3.89ireann

opinion polls suggest this will carry convincingly.

so the seanad looks like it will be abolished

jaysus, we loving saving an aul buck

Thing about it is that I'm not sure either issue has really captured the imagination. Am expecting a very small turnout, and I suspect that people on the no side feel stronger about the issue than the yes lot so they might be more motivated to get out.

We'll see. I'm not mad on being disenfranchised.

Just saw this on shared on facebook

Any truth in it?

Important: Do you know the new 'Courts' referendum on Friday is designed to speed up house repossessions? The new law is designed to protect the venal banks, nothing more, and allow them to move in rapidly and throw you out of your home. Takes too long right now...
All hidden behind the Seanad Referendum.

Any truth in it?

Important: Do you know the new 'Courts' referendum on Friday is designed to speed up house repossessions? The new law is designed to protect the venal banks, nothing more, and allow them to move in rapidly and throw you out of your home. Takes too long right now...
All hidden behind the Seanad Referendum.

My understanding is that the courts referendum is to establish a court of appeal in between the high and supreme court. I doubt there's many repossession cases that get to the supreme court. Sounds like bullshit to me.

Any truth in it?

Self-fulfilling answer, don't believe anything you read on facebook. I love the way this person has phrased the scaremongering as "venal banks, nothing more". The banks are venal! The new bullshit "law" is nothing more than about re-possessing houses! We're all being hoodwinked by the referendum commission. God I love the internet crazies.

I like Enda. Well, enough. Decent sort. The kind of dull career civil servant you want running things.
Far better than the showboating, venal cunts from FF that have held that office for far too long.

This Seanad thing is ill-conceived, poorly timed and pigheaded.

He's wasting political capital that he needs to govern the country on this plan.

Mend it, don't end it.

Mend it, don't end it. I like that.

I feel it's gonna go Yes/No. I think it is foolish to scrap the Seanad and, a term my friend used the other day, pricetaggery is not a compelling philosophical underpinning for a democratic state. If this is too expensive what else can be pruned off the state?

This prick is a large part of why i think it should go.
story_3136_3136-xlarge.jpg

Tonight...

Four Labour senators absent as Govt loses Seanad vote on rent reviews

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1002/477947-seanad-rent-vote/

The Government lost a vote 27-23 in the Seanad tonight on private members' motion proposed by Senator Feargal Quinn dealing with upward-only rent reviews.
Labour Party chief whip Emmet Stagg is to seek meetings with four Labour senators who were not present for the vote.

Senators John Kelly, Denis Landy, Jimmy Harte and John Whelan were expected to be present and vote with the Government.

Had they been present, the vote would have been tied 27-27 and the Government would have defeated the motion with the casting vote of Seanad Cathaoirleach Paddy Burke.

Three of the other senators not present, Fianna Fáil's Jim Walsh and Fine Gael's Deirdre Clune and Tom Sheahan, had pre-arranged "pairs".

Two former members of the Fine Gael parliamentary party, Paul Bradford and Fidelma Healy Eames, voted with the Opposition.

A number of the Taoiseach's nominees, Jillian Van Turnhout, Fiach Mac Conghail, Mary Ann O'Brien, Marie Louise O'Donnell and Katherine Zappone, also voted with the Opposition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back