Scottish Independence (1 Viewer)

Cleverish ad

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What is the official Thumped position on this?

there's a christian one like this that my born again(-ish) friend passive aggressively posted on facebook recently. It's not nearly as clever as that one though.

What is the official Thumped position on this?

I think it's good that they're given the opportunity to decide, as I'm neither Scottish nor an emigrant to there I've no particular preference to how they vote. Their business.

Both sides seem to be seriously fudging the issues. Many no campaigners are painting a disastrous fallout to it passing whereas the yes side are just going it'll be fine on issues like EU membership (can't imagine Spain being amenable to just letting a brand new splitter country into the club as it would set a precedent they wouldn't be crazy about re: Catalunya and The Basque country) and the currency.

I unfollowed yer man from Mogwai when he started telling lies about Ireland and currency union post Independence.

He said that we kept the pound until the 70's, and wasn't happy to be corrected.
Didn't we have a 1 for 1 lin to the British pound up until the 70's though ? I think I remember my auld fella saying that when thy went to Blackpool in 1971 they couldn't believe the price of things because they thought 1 for 1 meant everything would be the same price. Actually can't remember if that meant it was more expensive in Ireland though. Anyway let me google it.

Didn't we have a 1 for 1 lin to the British pound up until the 70's though ? I think I remember my auld fella saying that when thy went to Blackpool in 1971 they couldn't believe the price of things because they thought 1 for 1 meant everything would be the same price. Actually can't remember if that meant it was more expensive in Ireland though. Anyway let me google it.

An Irish pound pegged to Sterling is not the same as keeping the pound.

might have gotten a glimpse of a 20

CBI_-_SERIES_B_-_TWENTY_POUND_NOTE.PNG

The famous 'Blue Drinking Voucher'

.... issues like EU membership (can't imagine Spain being amenable to just letting a brand new splitter country into the club as it would set a precedent they wouldn't be crazy about re: Catalunya and The Basque country)...

I'm not so sure it would set a precedent, in the Scottish case the secession (if it happens) will be one that is allowed and (grudgingly) endorsed by the central government. Spain has no intention of letting either region secede and, if either region or both decided to go it alone they would likely end up keeping company with South Ossetia, Nagorno Karabakh etc- Russia and some of its client states may (or may not) recognise them but aside from that it would be a lonely existence. In such a case they would likely end up rejoining Spain after a few years of penury.
The Spanish refusal to recognise Kosovo is probably more pertinent as Yugoslavia/Serbia refused to allow Kosovo secede and it took NATO intervention to convince them otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back