saying "the christmas" (2 Viewers)

I've nothing done for the Christmas. Starting to worry. Does anyone else detest Christmas shopping?

I just call it smas because I'm in a hurry.

If you're yeast intolerant you drink the holy wine, just like a coeliac, which is a type of blood-sucking Protestant (aren't they all, jaysus wha?).

nice Day for ..a White Christmas

http://www.billyidol.net/happyholidays/

happyholidayscover.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/billyidol

I thought that saying “The Christmas” instead of “Christmas” was a Hiberno-English thing carried over from the Irish language and the way in which “Christmas” is said as Gaelige- “An Nollaig”, ie. The Christmas.

There are lots of "incorrect" syntaxes and turns of phrase that Irish people use when speaking English that have been carried over from Irish grammar, which we’re generally not aware of but make little sense to people from outside of Ireland, e.g. “I’m after having my lunch” instead of “I have just had lunch” and that sort of thing.

We've been doing it for hundreds of years and as such it's an 'acquired linguistic pattern' or something, and not bad English. So there's nothing actually wrong with saying "The Christmas"; in fact, you could be considered to be showing pride in your heritage.

I thought that saying “The Christmas” instead of “Christmas” was a Hiberno-English thing carried over from the Irish language and the way in which “Christmas” is said as Gaelige- “An Nollaig”, ie. The Christmas.

There are lots of "incorrect" syntaxes and turns of phrase that Irish people use when speaking English that have been carried over from Irish grammar, which we’re generally not aware of but make little sense to people from outside of Ireland, e.g. “I’m after having my lunch” instead of “I have just had lunch” and that sort of thing.

We've been doing it for hundreds of years and as such it's an 'acquired linguistic pattern' or something, and not bad English. So there's nothing actually wrong with saying "The Christmas"; in fact, you could be considered to be showing pride in your heritage.

me mam is up over the road

What about the indefinite article? 'A' Christmas. As in have 'a' merry Christmas, whereby the recipient of the good wishes has discretion which Christmas will be good. Apparantly that dates back to when we all spoke Danish during the first millennium (1988).

"Amn't I?"

"you could be considered to be showing pride in your heritage."

From now on I will be calling it 'ye christmas'

out of respect for my ancestors

I see you've decorated your avatar. I thought you might change it to a menorah. An electric one. In every window. Even though you're not Jewish.

who says i'm not jewish?

oh you just did- you're right. I'm not.

I had a little animation of ridiculously over the top flashing lights, to complement my skanger-esque statue

but the gif turned out shit

now, off to google to see what a menorah is

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back