San Fran / Amoeba (1 Viewer)

I saw my very first drive-by shooting outside SF Amoeba.
Do I win?

Hope someone took out one of those annoying crusties.

Did very well in the Amoeba $1 bins but that was 1999/2000-dunno how you would get on now. I think some days a lazy assistant will chuck all their stock in. I got real funny looks at the checkout desk when I walked out with a couple of Replacements albums and a chunk of the Minutemen's back catalogue fro $1.09 each (incl taxes).

I liked the berkely one-as stated not as good as Haight st but worth a look

lots of homeless and freaky people in SF, period!

Tell me about it. I went for a walk from my base in the Mission one Sunday afternoon, an hour later I was lost in what I could only compare to the streets of Baltimore in The Wire...such crack/meth addled mad people I've never seen the likes of before, not even in St. James A&E on a Saturday night.

I saw my very first drive-by shooting outside SF Amoeba.
Do I win?

I also saw a stakeout/almost shootout in San Fran in the Mission district, cops surrounding a car from all angles, on bended knee, armed, asking the person to leave the vehicle with their arms up. I ducked into a shop. Way too many guns for me to handle!

Tell me about it. I went for a walk from my base in the Mission one Sunday afternoon, an hour later I was lost in what I could only compare to the streets of Baltimore in The Wire...such crack/meth addled mad people I've never seen the likes of before, not even in St. James A&E on a Saturday night.

Sounds like the Tenderloin.

Sounds like the Tenderloin.
t'was the Tenderloin alright. When I briefly lived there i was ensconsed inteh Mission and worked moving furniture so got to see all the neighbourhoods and the tenderloin would match any ghetto in SW Chicago for madness-but looks kinda cool as it is such an urban area with old buildings etc.

Lesson the first-don't play dice with the dudes with pitbulls on the street corners- to be fair you'd get a better yack out of them than the crusty panhandlers on haight/astbury- used to enjoy pissing them off by going into a shop and buying a tin of food for their wretched dogs then going up and giving it to the mutt in question whilst ignoring the fuckers. God I hate yank crusties-fucking useless bastards.

Yeah it was the Tenderloin, remember someone telling me that's where I wound up alright. Cool name. Tenderloin, sounds like steak.

it is steak i think, didnt it get called tenderloin because the cops who worked there got the best cut of meat for working in the shitest area or something like that? i forget, i never really understood it anyway. my favorite time to go walking around there was about 7.30am shortly after all the homeless crack addicts had been ran out of the door ways and all the property owners were out washing the piss out of their doorways and there'd be fucking dozens of spaced out zombies standing around blocking the footpaths and looking fucked and saying things like "nnnnng fuck me baby, you wanna buy some crack?". i never felt completely comfortable weaving my way through them on the way to work and was glad when i got my bike

i was living in bernal heights, just off mission st. first bus ride up the mission was pretty interesting, but after that i really liked the area.

ah san fran's the best city ever, i'd move there in a heartbeat if i could.

ah san fran's the best city ever, i'd move there in a heartbeat if i could.

heartbeat3.jpg

where would you even start. San Fran is cool all over. Even the kippy districts south of market. It all depends on how much time you have. If limited enough then stick to the obvious touristy stuff. Theres plenty of it and its all decent.

One thing about San Fran though is that its fairly spread out and isn't really what I'd class as a walking city as such. So pre-planning what you're going to do any given day is advisable.

If you do have a good bit of time then head out to Sausalito for a look. Or up to the wine valley. Or even up to Tahoe for the gambling. I wouldn't necessarily advice heading south from San Fran. Silicon valley lies between there and San Jose and, bar the occasional nice spot like West Palo Alto, its a kip. Santa Cruz is down that way, but I didn't especially like it. As is Monterrey, but again, I wouldn't be wasting my time.

Go to a baseball game. The new(ish) stadium is by the bay bridge and should have decent views over to Oakland. That should make up for baseball being a shite sport.

theres so much to do in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back