San Fran / Amoeba (2 Viewers)

Kid Lovebeach

Website
nickthinks.wordpress.com
hello
im coming to the end of a six month trip round the world, my last few (3-4) days will be spent in san francisco. i really wanna go see amoeba records, but i have barely enough money for accomodation and 3 square meals a day so my question is, is there any point in heading there or will i be like a man with no willy in a brothel?

What is more important, food or music? I was in the LA one last year and came back with 20+ cds for around 100 US dollars. I suppose it depends on what you're looking for though.

edible_music.gif

Amoeba is fucking amazing.
There's one in Berkeley and another in Hollywood, but I found the one on Haight in San Francisco the best.
My advice would be to forego food and beer for a few days (buy a bag of apples! skip breakfast! drink tap water!) and witness the most magnificent record shop in the Western world.

I was in the one in Hollywood - some of the stuff you can pick up for pennies second hand is unreal.

I'd live in there If I could.

I even left all of the Aomeba price stickers on everything I bought (and I'm normally a zealot for removing every sticker of any kind from records/CDs)

The Hollywood one and the San Franciso ones are both amazing..I would do without food to spend money in there..You will probably need to put an entire day by to go through it..It's that good.

I even left all of the Aomeba price stickers on everything I bought (and I'm normally a zealot for removing every sticker of any kind from records/CDs)

im the very same. generally i remember where i bought something anyway but with amoeba stickers i wanted them as reminders. i also have a few from the one in berkely but theres nothing to distinguish the stickers. i went to SF on my j1 visa 9 :)eek:) years ago and every friday i used to cash my cheque and cycle up to amoeba to buy cds. i was so happy then. it was a tough 20 minute cycle uphill to get there but only 5 minutes to get back down with the new stash. i didnt have great taste in music then though, i got a lot of shit cds.

they have (or used to have) clearance sections where you could just get a load of random stuff for next to nothing, most of it is rubbish though....

im the very same. generally i remember where i bought something anyway but with amoeba stickers i wanted them as reminders. i also have a few from the one in berkely but theres nothing to distinguish the stickers. i went to SF on my j1 visa 9 :)eek:) years ago and every friday i used to cash my cheque and cycle up to amoeba to buy cds. i was so happy then. it was a tough 20 minute cycle uphill to get there but only 5 minutes to get back down with the new stash. i didnt have great taste in music then though, i got a lot of shit cds.

they have (or used to have) clearance sections where you could just get a load of random stuff for next to nothing, most of it is rubbish though....

I used to do similar in Chicago at reckless records. i could buy cds for 1 dollar from the bargain bin or decent ones for 6 or 7 dollars. the quality available was stuff like Slint, Jim O Rourke etc decent stuff. and the dollar ones were stuff like some REM albums and ones you wanted to test like Gin Blossoms etc.
what i wouldnt give for shops like that in Ireland - its the population really i suppose.

Dutchy, id love to say dont bother going into the shop cus you have no money in case it means you are left stranded, but it is a pilgrimage as much as a trip to the cd shop! pull out all the stops to get there! and with such a weak dollar at the moment if someone was to loan you 100 dollars even you could get 10-20 decent cds

I saw Grandaddy play in Amoeba. Good times. Does the wacky dude from The Brian Jonestown Massacre still work there?

I recommend you buy a t-shirt. Shur you can download all the music you want for free off the internet.

A man has to eat. Music is all very well with its dainty melodies and supportive harmonies but it will never hit the places a juice-packin' burger can.

I have spent a lot of money and time in the haight amoeba - simply because it's one of the most awesome place ever.
DO IT!

I though the Amoeba in Haight was fairly shit for records, couldn'd find nuttin' half decent. I wintnessed a good fight outside though. Actually it was a fairly shit fight...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back