robot show (2 Viewers)

BTW dunno if this is any use, or just me enjoying the sight of my own typing, but anyways, these are a few thoughts that helped me deal with the terror of my own inevitable ceasing-to-exist....basically, um, your death won't be an event for you - it's only an event for other people. In other words, you won't be around for your death. Or another way of putting it is, you won't know about it. So you might as well not think about it. Or even just pretend that it'll never happen - if you're wrong, you won't be around to find out you're wrong. (BTW by "death" I mean "ceasing to exist", or the ultimate end of your stream of consciousness or whatever - obviously it's stupid to risk danger on the premise that you won't/can't die - although, on the other hand, if you die young because of some daredevil shit, does it really matter, since again you won't know about it? At the same time, I wouldn't be going down this route meself, 'cos I'm a scaredy-cat). I think the other scary thing is the idea that once you're dead, you're gone FOREVER - but mebbe the force of this derives from the suggestion that once you're dead you spend the rest of eternity being dead, as if non-existence was itself a state of existence. I dunno, it's as if you imagine all this time passing with you dead the whole time, but of course you won't experience this, so it might as well not be happening at all as far as you're concerned. Or something.

from A Song for Occupations
By Walt Whitman

The light and shade, the curious sense of body and identity, the greed
that with perfect complaisance devours all things,
The endless pride and outstretching of man, unspeakable joys and
sorrows,
The wonder that everyone sees in everyone else he sees, and the
wonders that fill each minute of time forever,
What have you reckon'd them for, camerado?
Have you reckon'd them for your trade or farm-work? or for the profits
of your store?
Or to achieve yourself a position? or to fill a gentleman's leisure,
or a lady's leisure?

Have you reckon'd that the landscape took substance and form that it
might be painted in a picture?
Or men and women that they might be written of, and songs sung?
Or the attraction of gravity, and the great laws and harmonious
combinations and the fluids of the air, as subjects for the savans?
Or the brown land and blue sea for maps and charts?
Or the stars to be put in constellations and named fancy names?
Or that the growth of seeds is for agricultural tables, or for
agriculture itself?

japeo said:
i was just wondering how many of you have some kind of belief system that exsists outside the world we live in?

not a belief system like a religion that informs how i live my life as such but i've a strong belief that there's alot more out there than we're aware of. had a nice big chat with anne o'malley about this a while ago. i think i started by asking him was there a name for the belief that there are 'spiritual' dimension(s) and other 'forces' that we're scientifically not aware of in the same way as we are aware of 3D + time. being a scientist i find it hard to believe in a 'god'-type knowing-force that created the universe, i believe in a causality as such but also believe that we cannot explain existance scientifically or rationally. i.e. i believe there is an answer for why stuff happens/exists but our minds would not be able understand it.

egg_ said:
However, NO law of physics holds for all space and all time. The laws of physics don't apply inside black holes or before the big bang.

string theory?

egg_ said:
I try not to think about it much
But I'm always conscious of it, and more and more so as I age

The obvious thing that happens after you're dead is ... 'There was just a purple light and a hum. Nobody was there. Not even Billy Pilgrim was there'. I suspect there is no 'after' you're dead - your childhood, the big bang, the end of the universe, your death, all of these moments exist always, and time is an illusion
Would be deadly if that's not true. Can you tell I re-read Slaughterhouse 5 recently?

A masterpiece. So it goes.

conor said:
string theory?
...is a load of arse with no experimental evidence whatsoever and no real potential for it until we build a particle accelerator the size of the solar system, at which point we'd look pretty silly if we still didn't find any.

kstop said:
...is a load of arse with no experimental evidence whatsoever and no real potential for it until we build a particle accelerator the size of the solar system, at which point we'd look pretty silly if we still didn't find any.

that would be why it's called string theory then ;)

kstop said:
It's also been succeeded by M Theory as far as I know. But it's not a load of arse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back