robot show (3 Viewers)

billygannon said:
It's also been succeeded by M Theory as far as I know. But it's not a load of arse.
No reasonably self-consistent system could be said to be a load of arse, but if you're putting it forward as a physical system, one that is meant as a model for some subset of observed reality, it's important that it both explains current observations and makes some testable predictions. Otherwise, what is it? Mathematical masturbation.

(Mind you, recent activities are reminding me of what a shite physicist I'd make, so maybe I should be quiet.)

kstop said:
No reasonably self-consistent system could be said to be a load of arse, but if you're putting it forward as a physical system, one that is meant as a model for some subset of observed reality, it's important that it both explains current observations and makes some testable predictions. Otherwise, what is it?

organised religion?

kstop said:
No reasonably self-consistent system could be said to be a load of arse, but if you're putting it forward as a physical system, one that is meant as a model for some subset of observed reality, it's important that it both explains current observations and makes some testable predictions. Otherwise, what is it? Mathematical masturbation.

(Mind you, recent activities are reminding me of what a shite physicist I'd make, so maybe I should be quiet.)
Well no... it's quite simple really. It can only be described through maths. Just like love can only be described through music.

By Jaykers, Billser, you're a physicist now? :rolleyes:

Conor - it's a long time since I studied this stuff, but at that stage it was generally accepted that the laws of physics had no application within black holes (or, at least, at the singularity inside a black hole - as far as I remember, it was a sort of division-by-zero type problem) or for a few fractions of a second after the big bang.
Now perhaps M theory (or string theory, which as far as I know is a subset of M theory, not something that has been superceded) gets around the black hole thing, but I'd be very surprised if it managed to get all the way to the beginning of the big bang ...

michaelknight? You there? You know something about this?

string theory is indeed a theory that would supposedly unite quantum theory and relativity, which would be ideal for explaining the physics of black holes

however it's unproved and there is no evidence whatsoever to back it up, so it's fantasy rather than science

but all scientific laws began as fantasy and developed into fact - that's what "theories" are

that's not to say that just anyone can come up with a theory

Michael Knight is being leased out by Billy only these days. Billy "owns" him, along with the World Bank, all non-extinct reptiles, the poetry of TS Elliot and of course Physics, though he's thinking of getting out of that because Chemistry is where it's at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back