robot show (1 Viewer)

for what reason? maybe: to give plants and animals much needed energy.
why? maybe: fuck knows...

egg_ said:
Ah look, go on our that
I'm not looking to tie anyone up in their own words
I just don't understand what Snaky means

heck egg, if you gotsta axe what jazz is, you ain't never gonna know

I think this is something we should talk about over a few pints of guinness

why, you may ask?

And I would say: no, for what reason!

egg throws pint in snakey's face...
snakybus said:
heck egg, if you gotsta axe what jazz is, you ain't never gonna know

I think this is something we should talk about over a few pints of guinness

why, you may ask?

And I would say: no, for what reason!

Far be it from me to put words in a snake's mouth, but maybe he's referring to a distinction between cause and reason.

When the apple fell from the tree and hit Newton on the head, he wasn't interested in its reason for doing so, he was only interested in the cause of it. Mechanics concerns itself with causality, not rationality per se.

Conversely, when a man drinks a pint of Budweiser, one isn't interested in the cause of it so much as what possible reason (ie motivation) he could have for filling himself with that muck...

egg_ said:
That'd be nice
... but boozing fucks with my logic engine ... and, goddammit, I'm impatient! Come on Snakes, explain yourself! PM me if you like, I wanna know

well:

for what reason should you not write hot cheques down in Mississippi?

because it'll get you put in the tank
because it'll get you lynched
because it'll get you bet up
because it'll create a moral precedent that will cause other people to write hot cheques and break the rules of commerce, which are, after all, an extension of nature's rules, since we and our rules are simply carbon-based life forms and therefore a breaking of human rules is fundamentally a breaking of the rules of nature and by the rules of natural selection some fitter member of our species will lynch us, beat us up, or put us in the tank to further the species

for what reason do we need to further the species?

I don't know

Why shouldn't you write hot cheques down in Mississippi?

cuz it's wrong, and you know it in your gut

ah jaeus, you're saying why is to morality like for what reason is to fact or whatever? that's the kind of stuff that makes me sing sweet home alabama and makes me see coulds, like i'm flying through them, like some kind of super hero. snakey, this is stuff you made up while you were walkng home drunk some night, right? please? and, just for the record, why on earth would you write a hot cheque in the middle of a river? it's not jail you'd be sent to, it's the freakin mad house i tells ye! aaaaaaaaa ha ha ha.

snakybus said:
or maybe it's not

morality, such a capricious beast

I wish I had all the answers

why don't I have all the answers?

yeah them cheques'd get cold pretty fast, plus you'd be swalleyin' a lot of water!

booze is great for the auld philosophy, unless you're Pantone, who can barely manage to fart on a china woman when he's a had a few boozes

Wait a sec, snaky
I read your earlier thing again, and maybe you mean that 'for what reason' = what is the immediate cause of something, while 'why' = what is the ultimate cause of something
Would that be it?
Off home now, will hopefully resume tomorrow, then we'll sort it all out and all the world's philosophers can rest easy at last

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back