richard dawkins (2 Viewers)

dawkins on bill o'reilly was gas, o' reilly completely unable to attack him like he usually does with guests with different opinions, he was almost scared of him.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FARDDcdFaQ"]YouTube - Bill O'Reilly SCARED by Richard Dawkins[/ame]

Precisely, but I don't think religions are unique in this regard.

but is it possible to hold this opinion and not have a problem with religion (among other things) ? I'm just trying to make sense of what you said, not catch you out

dawkins on bill o'reilly was gas, o' reilly completely unable to attack him like he usually does with guests with different opinions, he was almost scared of him.

gosh, it's like a dignified debate

Hannity manages to make Hitchens seem relatively likeable here and that's no mean feat

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5INo7W2P-Jk"]YouTube - Christopher Hitchens embarrasses Hannity in god debate[/ame]

another interesting little philosophical road is the 'what if'... what if fundamentalist christians actually wiped out every other religion in existence, so that they had no opposing religion. usually if you challenge somones faith you've got more chance of strenghthening it then anything, but if there is no challenge whatso ever, what would unfold?? i cant see it being eternal sinless bliss anyways.

another interesting little philosophical road is the 'what if'... what if fundamentalist christians actually wiped out every other religion in existence, so that they had no opposing religion. usually if you challenge somones faith you've got more chance of strenghthening it then anything, but if there is no challenge whatso ever, what would unfold?? i cant see it being eternal sinless bliss anyways.
Gluebag?

The Nazis were fundamentalist catholics, weren't they? With the iron crosses and the swasticas and what not. Getting rid of the opposition seemed to make them even crazier in the head than previously.

My problem isn't with religion per se, it's with any set of ideas which preaches blind acceptance - just cos. Something must be true because it's written in some book and if you even question it, you'll go to hell. Or something must be true because the government says it and if you question it, you'll be arrested. I think nearly all major conflicts stem from this mindset, whether we're talking religious conflict, World War 2, communism etc..

The problem isn't really the religion or the faith structure, but people themselves. The bible isn't an exact account, sure it has two different creation stories and no less than four versions of the gospel. It allows priests make up their own mind on it. It suited them to preach blind acceptance for political reasons rather than moral.

With the widespread increase in literacy over the last couple of centuries, almost any lunatic can now decide what truths are in it. People take comfort in knowing they're right and will easily delude themselves by quoting the bible out of context and ignoring the parts that contradict their beliefs.

Religion is a symptom of this need, not the cause.

YouTube - Bill O'Reilly SCARED by Richard Dawkins

O'Reilly has had Hitchens on a couple of times when he wanted someone to hate on Islam. Then he had him back to scold him when he said he was agaisnt waterboarding.

O'Reilly has had Hitchens on a couple of times when he wanted someone to hate on Islam. Then he had him back to scold him when he said he was agaisnt waterboarding.

It's worth watching that youtube clip of Hitchens being waterboarded. Horrible horrible stuff. Says he still get's nightmarish flashbacks to it.

“Each man,” wrote (Bruce) Lee, “belongs to a style which claims to possess truth to the exclusion of all other styles. These styles become institutes with their explanations of the “Way,” dissecting and isolating the harmony and firmness and gentleness, establishing rhythmic forms as the particular state of their techniques.” The consequence, wrote Lee, was to bypass the purpose of martial arts and create “flowery forms” and “artificial techniques” that become “ritualistically practiced.”

Noting that “real combat is not fixed and is very much ‘alive’,” Lee stated that the “fancy mess” created by ritualizing fighting “is nothing but a blind devotion to the systematic uselessness of practicing routines or stunts that lead nowhere.”

The philosophy promoted by Lee was repugnant to many people already mired in traditional habits of thought. Angry or not, they could not deny the success of Lee. His understanding of martial arts was too profound for traditional views to keep him back.

I haven't read his stuff (I'm an ATHEIST already, right?) but I saw to eps of his show when it was on RTE a while back and he seemed alright. I didn't disagree with anything he said, and he was occasionally even a bit funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back