richard dawkins (4 Viewers)

I know a few people that have had non-religious wedding "ceremonys", also non-religious funerals are pretty commonplace too I'd imagine.

i've been to both too, i'd just consider that society en mass like thier weddings to involve a higher power at some stage. theres always a few people tring out new things, but i would say for sure if all religion dissapeared after mass this week, people would be demanding rituals, people in capes, scary books and space daddy to validate and glorify thier lifelong love.

richard-dawkins-looks-like-emma-watson.jpg

There are none. Apart from those provided by the secular state, and they're not exactly celebratory, sympathetic etc.

Good old etc.

What about birthday parties? they seem pretty celebratory and without the need for ritual/ or much ritual if you count the song and the cake.

Where is that they have a big funeral party and procession all the way to the grave? They should have that kinda thing over here, but without the whole god and sins stuff.

If the secular system replaced a church system, people would build their own traditions around this new system. Secular options just haven't been around as prominently for long enough for that to happen.

Having said that I do appreciate all the strict form at funerals when it's hard to know what to do with yourself otherwise.

What about birthday parties? they seem pretty celebratory and without the need for ritual/ or much ritual if you count the song and the cake.

Where is that they have a big funeral party and procession all the way to the grave? They should have that kinda thing over here, but without the whole god and sins stuff.

If the secular system replaced a church system, people would build their own traditions around this new system. Secular options just haven't been around as prominently for long enough for that to happen.

Having said that I do appreciate all the strict form at funerals when it's hard to know what to do with yourself otherwise.

It sounds the type of funeral some of the evangelical types might have. The evangelical services that the Afro-Irish community have are a bit of a laugh. Lot of singing, hand-claps etc. No one there seems to take it seriously, even the preacher dude.

I think it's hard to separate the idea of deities from major life events, especially life and death. They are the unknown, unless you happen to have a firm grasp of infinity.

I do think it is interesting though, why, in human society, is the worship/rejection of deities tied up with morality.

Life and death one can kinda understand, as that's something science hasn't got down yet (unless I missed something).

Morality though is strange. Possibly it's that deities (or fear of) are used to justify social order through morality.

I'm sure someone has written about this much more eloquently (but don't say Dawkins).

but i would say for sure if all religion dissapeared after mass this week, people would be demanding rituals, people in capes, scary books and space daddy to validate and glorify thier lifelong love.
Well, then let them have their rituals!

If religion disappeared after mass this week, with it would go people claiming things are wrong just cos it says so in some book. We could have mature debate about evolution, people couldn't object to gays because their imaginary friend isn't big on them and fundamentalists would stop going onto crowded trains with shit loads of explosives taped to them. That would be pretty good.

Well, then let them have their rituals!

If religion disappeared after mass this week, with it would go people claiming things are wrong just cos it says so in some book. We could have mature debate about evolution, people couldn't object to gays because their imaginary friend isn't big on them and fundamentalists would stop going onto crowded trains with shit loads of explosives taped to them. That would be pretty good.

what would you like to debate about evolution?? i'm taking the side that its happening. i'm not really very religious myself, i do however think that REAL COOL athiest should be able to argue a good case for religion, otherwise the whole point of lateral thinking might just be missed, and the world would fill up with fundamentalist athiests, that fundamentalist thing is as big a part of human nature as anything, it makes great headlines though, and its always good for a documentary.

if religon was gone tommorow you'd still have the same number of nobs harping on about some other wacky shit. religon and atheism aren't the problem, people being nobs are.

if religon was gone tommorow you'd still have the same number of nobs harping on about some other wacky shit. religon and atheism aren't the problem, people being nobs are.
My problem isn't with religion per se, it's with any set of ideas which preaches blind acceptance - just cos. Something must be true because it's written in some book and if you even question it, you'll go to hell. Or something must be true because the government says it and if you question it, you'll be arrested. I think nearly all major conflicts stem from this mindset, whether we're talking religious conflict, World War 2, communism etc..

I want people who don't support those ideas to make their point rationally and not have their judgement clouded by religion or anything else.

'Alternative views of evolution' is a red hering, like 'creationism'. If you believe that you've probably been abducted by aliens a couple of times too. In fact I think a lot of it is a bogus or mischievous.

I do agree about people getting all their ideas about a particular subject from one source and discounting all others though. It is a bit of a tinder box situation when applied over a population.

How come whenever I see Dawkins and his self satisfied little smirk I am reminded of some overbearing know-it-all curate, and whenever I see Hitchens and his big old jowls I am reminded of some Co. Tipp priest living the good life in some rich Florida parish? Why is that?

Fuck these cunts.

what would you like to debate about evolution?? i'm taking the side that its happening. i'm not really very religious myself, i do however think that REAL COOL athiest should be able to argue a good case for religion, otherwise the whole point of lateral thinking might just be missed, and the world would fill up with fundamentalist athiests, that fundamentalist thing is as big a part of human nature as anything, it makes great headlines though, and its always good for a documentary.

"Dawkins did it!"
simpsons+did+it.jpg

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=1203402&postcount=87

My problem isn't with religion per se, it's with any set of ideas which preaches blind acceptance - just cos.

Is this not the starting point for religion? the belief bit that holds it all together?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back