Revolutionary Women Dayschool. (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter W.
  • Start date
  • Replies 62
  • Views 6K
  • Watchers 3
not necessarily about this particular event but in general:

why cant us birds just do things together without being all REVOLUTION! or political/activist/aggressive/no men allowed etc. most men that i know are very suuportive of women doing things and would be glad to help out. i was having a conversation about ladyfests, feminism etc the other day, and i tend to think that militantly seperating the sexes and writing/talking about how much men suck is quite offputting for men, and to me. why not just call up your girlfriends and be like 'hey do you wanna come over and do some ____' 'you wanna organise _____ together?' and just do it and let that speak for itself? (without writing women only etc everywhere). Much more productive me thinks.

You have some valid points Pyrate Dead!
Why I am always taking the mick is because of the above u have described.......
It also pains me that it's normally Punkie/Crustie types that are prone to the above too.
Bet Westlife babes are babes and not the above etc

;]

*the day school*
i was at the above day school and it was really great, it was termed "revolutionary" because it covered women's participation in the 1916 rising and spanish civil war (i.e. revolutions). the opening and closing sessions were "women only" but there was more men at the event than women, so it certainly wasn't exclusive.

*call up your girlfriends and organise*
i was thinking about women in the irish punk scene recently cos i was answering an interview question about that and while there's not a huge number of women in bands there are lots of lovely ladies working behind the scenes organising gigs, events, doing the door, heaving equipment around. too many to name and i probably don't even know who they all are - jillbo definately is one hardworking scenester who seemed markedly absent from all the 2006 awards.
We're doing that sort of thing all the time but when we/they have an event to celebrate women in music or whatever people seem to get a bit sensitive about it. why is that?

*women only [but not anti-man]*
i've been at lots of women-only events (musical and political e.g. frock on which had activities such as guitar work shops in the day and a concert for all genders in the evening OR the night a crew of us including a few women who had recently broke up with their fellas went out for chinese, karaoke and booze) and C'MON! bitching about men is never on the agenda. That's such a funny idea!! Most of the women at any of the things i've been at :heart: the cock! and realise that PATRIARCHY hurts all genders.
It's really a different sort of energy at a women's only space [i love it but i understand it's not every birds cup of tea], and women should be supported in having those sort of events. If our queer or non-white friends wanted to have an event or space just for them, surely we wouldn't bitch about the fact it was "exclusive".
I feel it's a good thing to remind yourself [and anyone who'll listen] that you're a woman, a freak in a scene of freaks who looks at the world differently and who the world looks at differently.

thanks and just to reiterate my main point in case people weren't arsed reading this long post and y'know i'm laughing as i type to think that anyone or you jenfast actually thinks that IS what happens, but maybe i'm just not getting a lot of sarcasm on this thread: women don't sit around and dis men at women-only events.
Hope 2007 is great for everyone.

why cant us birds just do things together without being all REVOLUTION! or political/activist/aggressive/no men allowed etc. most men that i know are very suuportive of women doing things and would be glad to help out. i was having a conversation about ladyfests, feminism etc the other day, and i tend to think that militantly seperating the sexes and writing/talking about how much men suck is quite offputting for men, and to me. why not just call up your girlfriends and be like 'hey do you wanna come over and do some ____' 'you wanna organise _____ together?' and just do it and let that speak for itself? (without writing women only etc everywhere). Much more productive me thinks.

But Clodagh I think what some people think is that if Men had a Men only day school or Men behind the rising etc that it would be classed as chauvanistic and anti women :p

women can organise together or with men and do what ever they want really. the reason this event and other feminist stuff like rag are all REVOLUTION is because the wsm, who organised the women's dayschool, and rag are both anarchist organisations and are therefore commited to the idea of anarchist revolution. activism and politics are central to these organisations.

i know your post is a general one and not aimed at any one event or organisation but talking about things like aggressiveness, anti-men, and militancy when discussing feminist groups in a general way is kind of disparaging of all groups/events that have a feminist agenda. it's a generalisation like. feminism is such a wide concept that draws in so many theories and understandings on gender. two feminists may fundamentally disagree.

But Clodagh I think what some people think is that if Men had a Men only day school or Men behind the rising etc that it would be classed as chauvanistic and anti women :p

Sticky outty tongue smilie doesn't hide the fact that you miss the point Janer. Fact being that women are generally ignored in historical texts (or any other discipline for that matter), except maybe as a footnote/special case. Given that they make up half the population and all, it's a pretty substantial omission. People try to rectify this through these type of events. Fair play.

it would only be chauvanistic if the purpose of the day school was to sit around and say how great men are and come up with fresh new strategies for the oppression of women :)

the reason i presume that they had a talk on women behind the rising is because women were written out of irish history in many ways. the men and women who fought for irish independance and wrote the 1922 constitution had a much more egalitarian focus than what ireland became under dev and his dodgy 1937 constitution.

women can organise together or with men and do what ever they want really. the reason this event and other feminist stuff like rag are all REVOLUTION is because the wsm, who organised the women's dayschool, and rag are both anarchist organisations and are therefore commited to the idea of anarchist revolution. activism and politics are central to these organisations.

i know your post is a general one and not aimed at any one event or organisation but talking about things like aggressiveness, anti-men, and militancy when discussing feminist groups in a general way is kind of disparaging of all groups/events that have a feminist agenda. it's a generalisation like. feminism is such a wide concept that draws in so many theories and understandings on gender. two feminists may fundamentally disagree.
Wow u didn't leave school at 15.

it would only be chauvanistic if the purpose of the day school was to sit around and say how great men are and come up with fresh new strategies for the oppression of women :)

the reason i presume that they had a talk on women behind the rising is because women were written out of irish history in many ways. the men and women who fought for irish independance and wrote the 1922 constitution had a much more egalitarian focus than what ireland became under dev and his dodgy 1937 constitution.
Well maybe they were written out back then but yes men were chauvanistic then.
So suppose I kinda agree with ya on that reply.

thanks and just to reiterate my main point in case people weren't arsed reading this long post and y'know i'm laughing as i type to think that anyone or you jenfast actually thinks that IS what happens, but maybe i'm just not getting a lot of sarcasm on this thread: women don't sit around and dis men at women-only events.
Hope 2007 is great for everyone.

i dont think that IS what happpens at these things at all.
i phrased what i was trying to say totally the wrong way and lazy :eek:

my bad :) :) :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back