Religion and schools (1 Viewer)

Dude, you'll be banging your head against a brick wall standing up to Anthony's patented I'm-right-and-your-wrong attitude.
I just borrowed it from you, you can have it back.

Me, I have my fingers crossed that when my kid comes to school going age that the country will have progressed somewhat.
Crossing your fingers isn't going to be enough. Is the boy's name down anywhere yet? I suggest you get on that, Mark too.

I'm talking mainly about secondry school here. At least there are Educate Together primary schools. I know they are very oversubscribed but sign up anyway. If these schools can prove that there is huge demand it helps and can help in ET's efforts and even their effort to start Secondry schools. It would even help to get Educate Together reps on VEC schools' boards.

The boy's name was down for the local ET before he was even born.

If a 2nd level one existed, his name would be down there also.

I don't have children but if I did I would feel very uncomfortable with them having to attend a Catholic school and sit out all the religious instruction. You could argue that having to sit it out is very damaging for the child as they feel isolated from playground friends, especially in times of communion and confirmation.
If this is the biggest issue your kid has to deal with in school you're doing very well - at the minute, for instance, Isabelle is intimidated by the bigger kids' (she's probably the smallest in the school) rough play in the schoolyard and it's getting in the way of her playing at lunchtime and really making friends. That's a much bigger issue for her than whether she does her gruffalo workbook while the other kids are doing their Alive-o one

On the communion thing, incidentally - Niamh was talking to Isabelle's teacher on Friday and she said that when they had a girl of atheist parents before the kid got involved in the communion preparations as a helper rather than a participant, and on the day went along to the church in her white dress and was involved without actually going up to the altar rails. I thought that was a pretty good approach

We've our wee one already applied for plenty of ET schools. I'm absolutely against the idea of getting her christened, but I definitely wouldn't chastise parents who do to get their kids into a school, especially if you live in an area where even the religious schools are hugely over subscribed. You do what you have to do to look after your childs welfare, which is way more important than your personal principals, no?

our lad is 19 days old and we have sent pre-enrollment forms to 2 ET schools that are relativily near us. but having seen how stressful its been for friends (hugh in particular) to get their kids into this type of schools, i'm pretty worried about whats going to happen.

We were told by our local schools that you can't apply until the January before the September your kid is supposed to start school - I think there's also some issue around immigrants who are being blocked from schools that have four year waiting lists because they have only just arrived in the country.

Thomas was baptised because my wife is a believer and may well go to a catholic school, although my preference is for an Educate Together.

seems to me like only the parents give a shit about this, kids don't really care one way or t'other. and being taught catholicism isn't gonna ruin a kids life either. maybe i'm just being controversial for the sake of it tho.

Thomas was baptised because my wife is a believer and may well go to a catholic school, although my preference is for an Educate Together.

Loads of Baptised kids in our local ET school. The multi-d part of these schools is just a tiny part of what makes them great. (I'm sure you knew that already).

seems to me like only the parents give a shit about this, kids don't really care one way or t'other. and being taught catholicism isn't gonna ruin a kids life either. maybe i'm just being controversial for the sake of it tho.

Surely it's the parent's job to give a shit?

what i'm saying is kids dont care whether they're atheist, catholic, whatever until later in life when they'll give it some thought so why do parents make such an issue of it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back