Referendums 24, a woman's place is wherever she wants it to be? (1 Viewer)

Voting intentions

• Yes Yes

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Yes No

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No No

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • There’s no limits.

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
We replace a promise that has never been honoured with something that makes no promises. Seems legit

Honestly I'd say very few people think this referendum actually matters

Well, exactly.
There was an opportunity to do something real with childcare or elder care and so on
And they've just kumbaya'd it, like we're in a fecking healing circle.

Aside from the actual merits of the referendum., it will be interesting to see who turns out for this.
Marriage equality - which should have really been a slam dunk, got by with what, 60% odd?

I wonder how many younger voters will show up for this.
But if every political party is going Molly Bloom yes, yes on this, then they should get it home.

Meaningless stuff like this devalues referenda though. And it devalues what citizen's assemblies bring to the table.

The spokesperson for this disability group made good points on the news earlier. However, check out the comments...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There are lots of "what ifs" here but this seems to cut to the meat of it

"The bottom line is that these referendums are not necessary to achieve any policy goal; they bring damaging and costly uncertainty into whole swathes of law, from pensions, family law, tax law, migration law, residence, law and succession law to name but a few."

"The bottom line is that these referendums are not necessary to achieve any policy goal; they bring damaging and costly uncertainty into whole swathes of law, from pensions, family law, tax law, migration law, residence, law and succession law to name but a few."
I'm fond of a bit of chaos and uncertainty myself, tbh

The spokesperson for this disability group made good points on the news earlier. However, check out the comments...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Them and Flac are right, I think.
We are needlessly putting a word goulash in the constitution, when what is needed is legislation, or at least test legislation.

Interesting that the groups - Flac and ENC - with actual boots on the ground, so to speak, are calling for a No.

My Da just made a good point;

Often poorly performing governments will push through a referendum before a general election that really isn't that important, to deflect from their own failures as it allows people to vent their anger by mostly Voting 'no', thus letting them think they're sticking it to the man. And will be less pissed off at them when the general election rolls around

🤔

I don't see loads and loads of women talking about voting yes on the internet, maybe I'm under a cyber rock?

Or are loads of women who actually have kids and consider the option of not working at times during parenting looking at this long and hard?

Anyone heard anyone say anything?

I don't see loads and loads of women talking about voting yes on the internet, maybe I'm under a cyber rock?

Or are loads of women who actually have kids and consider the option of not working at times during parenting looking at this long and hard?

Not a fucking whisper

not yet - and i'm married to one

I'm the only one in the family group to have brought it up

I asked everyone their kids' shoe sizes :)

The cohort I'm interested to hear from is the Mammys that still do most of the cooking cleaning and rearing in the house and now getting that recognition pulled from the Constitution
Fine for a bunch of Stoneybatter young wans to say the wording is archaic, but plenty of women are still living that role very proudly and maybe like it in there

I mean maybe no one gives a fuck also

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back