redneck album (1 Viewer)

Wheels said:
I think the sound they've captured on this album is a major step forward for them, essential almost to their survival as a group.
Then new album sounds BIG - especially drums - always found the rednecks drums thin on record before. I am always blown away by how big they sound live compaired to the albums.

Have to agree Wheels... big step forward. No offense to AOB but the previous recorded stuff never made sense after seeing/hearing them live.

A different animal - not excactly captured on this album but much closer.

according to the band, they're all really happy with it. who gives a shit what any of you think? [edit: i've been trying to remove that second sentence but i think pete has disabled my delete feature!]

Only thing I don't like on the new album is the drums but everything else sounds great. The production suits the mellow songs better than the heavy songs.
I think people will get to like it and the production as the songs grow on them.
It'll hold up over time.

As to this Aob/Odlum thing:
There is no comparison. This album was tracked and mixed in a professional studio over a decent length of time. The two previous albums (good as they are) were recorded in a shed with no monitoring facilities for two days and then mixed in two days. Different beast altogether.
Would I have done a similar or different job, given the same facilities and time? Who knows?

Capturing bands live:
Personally, I don't think it's possible to capture people perceptions of a live band. Ever play back a recording of a gig you thought sounded 'AWESOME'!!!!??? At normal volume 99.999% of the time the band sound terrible. Volume giveth and volume taketh away.
I think the first rednecks album came pretty damn close to capturing them at the time. Haven't seen them play in ages though.

Anyway, there's my two cents.
Looking forward to getting to know this album better :)

eh, you do?! ;)
but you asked the question, therefore you don't have to answer it.
they're really happy with it, they chose to do it the way they did it for lots of reasons, i'm guessing. and they're happy with the results so shouldn't everyone else be? it's their music, this is how they *meant* to present it to you. you either like it or you don't... this comparing engineers is so anal but kind of amusing so please to be continuing... it's only 20 before 10 in the AM.

aoboa said:
Would I have done a similar or different job, given the same facilities and time? Who knows?

BTW: I should have put 'Who cares!' in at the end of that. It would have made more sense.

nlgbbbblth said:
One listen; it falls behind the other two
new Jape album is not as good as Cosmosphere

but early days early days
It is indeed early days but I think 'The Monkeys in the Zoo...' is even better than Cosmophere. I think it's excellent.

Yeah, IAB is different but I don't think it's any less of an album. My only criticism is that the album(s) do(es)n't do them justice as a live band. I thought they were amazing last Saturday...
Listening to TRM's albums is a totally different experience to seeing them live.

special_k said:
lovely artwork.
love the artwork actually. pet shop boys meets...erm..the redneck manifesto...
i think the quietier guitars have that ac/dc "we don't need to be loud to rock" thing going on (see 'powerage', 'stiff upper lip') which i really like. still getting to grips with this album but its certainly digging in.

after seeing them twice recently and listening to the album i think it'd be fair to say the rednecks are moving on in style and attitude. more post-lounge than post-rock ;) just for me the live show doesn't have that spark anymore. nice tunes buh'.

Audiodelic said:
It is indeed early days but I think 'The Monkeys in the Zoo...' is even better than Cosmophere. I think it's excellent..

'Floating' from The Monkeys . . . is one of the best singles of the year for me so far, brilliant (and not a million miles from Simple Kid)

czar said:
'Floating' from The Monkeys . . . is one of the best singles of the year for me so far, brilliant (and not a million miles from Simple Kid)
simple kid is all over new york!!! true story! he seems to be doing really well state side.

hag said:
simple kid is all over new york!!! true story! he seems to be doing really well state side.

not surprised, he's got a real delta blues/beck thing going on . . . still amazed that he passed most people in ireland by

i never said i didn't like the record which most people seem to be implying that i did.on the contrary.all i was saying is that i prefer the rawer sound aob gave them and that its a shame about the rock, or lack of it. I understand a band is like a shark and has to constantly keep moving forward or it dies (a la woody allen).and whateejit said who cares?correct me if i'm wrong but isn't this a discussion board?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back