red sparrows (1 Viewer)

aoboa said:
which is why when loads of bands come off stage convinced that they sounded terrible - people will say that the front of house sound was great :)

ha ha ha, I thought bands say "that was shit" SO people will say how great it was out front!

House of Mexico went thru a phase of not sound checking, there was never time, no care, someone didn't turn up... oddly enough they were some great gigs! it's like the horrors of sound checking just take your enthuiasm for playing right out of it

yeah never bothered with it in the killing spree... usually the venue was tiny anyway. where there were monitors it was usually a case of "um.... just put lots... of um... everything..."

Pantone247 said:
ha ha ha, I thought bands say "that was shit" SO people will say how great it was out front!

House of Mexico went thru a phase of not sound checking, there was never time, no care, someone didn't turn up... oddly enough they were some great gigs! it's like the horrors of sound checking just take your enthuiasm for playing right out of it

Yeah - a fair bit of that goes on too :)

The is very little benefit in soundchecking if you're a support band and you've got the same setup as the headliner.
You're nearly at an advantage cos the engineer won't have a clue what you sound like and will end up working really hard when you start for fear of looking like a twat.

Pantone247 said:
AND he can't tell you to turn your amp down!

It's like I said, don't turn it down if you think it's unreasonable.
Be nice about it though.
Try turning it down to where he wants. If it sounds wrong just tell him it sounds wrong and that you're turning up again.

if i was in a band, i'd just bring my own engineer. hey alan, how much do you charge for future reference? i hadn't realised that was you doing the bug at the umack party... that sound coming out of them speakers... it scared the shit out of me it was so loud and clear... if lighting bolt weren't so stupid about being lo-fi... actually fuck LB. so played out.

chico said:
if i was in a band, i'd just bring my own engineer. hey alan, how much do you charge for future reference? i hadn't realised that was you doing the bug at the umack party... that sound coming out of them speakers... it scared the shit out of me it was so loud and clear... if lighting bolt weren't so stupid about being lo-fi... actually fuck LB. so played out.

I don't really do it anymore - only in emergencies.

Pantone247 said:
someone should form a Dad-Rock band around here... I'm thinking, between all the thumped Da's, we only need a drummer...

Joss? Hag? Step up to the plate dudes...

Our new lad behind the kit is a Dad too, so only The Boy Mark is childless at present. We're working on him though ....

9 out of 10 soundmen in cork are fucking pathetic
matt who used to do sound in the cruiscin was pretty good and bernard q is pretty good too

the worst experience i had was in nancy spains when the soundman told us during soundcheck that we had to turn down cos the neighbours were complaining, "but dont worry cos you can turn up again when you go on tonight"

so the point in soundchecking was...?

is it possible to hire whelans without a house engineer for cheaper? whatever happened to the lady (valerie?) who was doing sound there for a while? she was one of the only soundpeople i can remember who seemed to genuinely care about how the band wanted to sound.

this cock
openup.jpg

was the biggest dick of an engineer i ever had to deal with, and i wasn't even playing that night... i remember the c40 lads threatening to beat him up.

the voodoo lounge has pretty sound soundpeople, there was one asshole who worked there but repeated complaints to the management saw him get the chop.

does this thread prove once and for all that small gigs with just a vocal pa are just as likely to sound good or shite as gigs in professional venues like whelans, etc with big, powerful soundsystems?

damien said:
does this thread prove once and for all that small gigs with just a vocal pa are just as likely to sound good or shite as gigs in professional venues like whelans, etc with big, powerful soundsystems?
eh? i thought this was common knowledge. we've never gotten sound as good as we do in venues like paddy's hall in greystones or fredz. when it comes to playing heavy music i think it's always going to sound better through amps that are cranked right up than playing at 1 and going through a PA operated by some tosser who's got an objection to the style of music you play...

some people in dublin seem to be snobby about what venues they go to, i assume it's because they think the sound is shit in small places without a "proper" pa.

damien said:

I dunno about that but at least with small vocal pa gigs, as a band you know what you're gonna get, and things don't tend to go wrong. Crank the amps up, try and make sure the vocals are still there and you're laughing. With the big PA's it's either great if its done well or shit if it isn't and you are pretty much at the mercy of the engineer.

But then there is nothing worse than vocal PA gigs with shitty amps (or "toy" amps as we like to call them).

The only problems with the smaller gigs are that quite often the room is an awkward shape,small amps(like Hugh said) and the fact that bands feel "above"this kind of gig so usually it's bands very early on who play them.
I way prefer gigs were a backline is enough. The sound is usually better if the bands have decent gear.
I think that snobbishness you talk of happens everywhere.

hugh said:
But then there is nothing worse than vocal PA gigs with shitty amps (or "toy" amps as we like to call them).

which is exactly why its so frustrating to be made turn down your beast of an amp at a big pa gig.

Pantone247 said:
someone should form a Dad-Rock band around here... I'm thinking, between all the thumped Da's, we only need a drummer...

Joss? Hag? Step up to the plate dudes...
i gave up the drums around 9 months ago dude. i play bass now. and some guitar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back