red sparrows (2 Viewers)

aoboa said:
The infamous Whelans guy.

Worst soundman I've ever encountered. Kept telling us to hurry up. Funny how he's the only one who has problems with any amount of volume.
The Crawdaddy soundman seems good. Nice person too,makes a big difference.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
Worst soundman I've ever encountered. Kept telling us to hurry up. Funny how he's the only one who has problems with any amount of volume.
The Crawdaddy soundman seems good. Nice person too,makes a big difference.

Yeah he's a rude ignorant f**k.

Evan in Crawdaddy is the man.
He treats everyone really well and does a good job for everyone.
Best house engineer in the city imho.

aoboa said:
The infamous Whelans guy.

yeah, loads of stories about him.
played whelans one time and he said some of our equipment was broken and that we weren't playin the stuff right, and he even suggested not to play songs where we used the aforementioned equipment, then he discovered he had just not switched something on the sounddesk!!!!
complained to management, but never heard anything back.

i think ciaran who does sound in the hub and some other places, is one of the best sound engineers around. never complains and always in a good mood and tries his best to help people out... always gets good sound no matter what type of music...

swingkid said:
yeah, loads of stories about him.
played whelans one time and he said some of our equipment was broken and that we weren't playin the stuff right, and he even suggested not to play songs where we used the aforementioned equipment, then he discovered he had just not switched something on the sounddesk!!!!

He's cranky all right. I remember playing a gig there and watching him sound-checking another band on the bill (was it House Of Mexico?) and being pretty pissed off that he had to deal with a keyboard (there wasn't much time left before doors open) and shouting up at them something like "Ah c'mon lads, could you just play your set without the keyboard?".

But .... and Boyler scoffs when I tell him this ..... best sound we ever had was in Whelans with him on the desk.

hugh said:
But .... and Boyler scoffs when I tell him this ..... best sound we ever had was in Whelans with him on the desk.

I'll bet he just used his engineer-mind-control to make you think the sound was good.

It could just be that he likes us and hates all you lot.

Here's exactly what happened to me:
He looks horrified at the laptop/mixer/guitar pedals set-up.
All he has to deal with is a left and right out of my mixing desk.
I loop something and go out and listen.
No bass.
I ask him has he got the hi-pass filters turned on on the channels.
He says yes.
I say - there's a lot of sub in this music can you turn them off.
He says - you won't need sub in here.
I say - well then it's going to sound terrible.
I ask him again to turn off the hi-pass and suggest that instead he can take out some sub from the house eq (reason being - this will just turn the sub down as opposed to completely killing it).
He says okay.
Play gig - did he do anything I asked???
Did he f**k.

Now - as someone who has been a house engineer and engineered for loads of bands - that, to me, is insane.
A house engineers job is to make everything that goes through his desk sound as good as he can.
His own personal taste/mood/etc shouldn't be an issue - if it is he shouldn't be a house engineer.

hugh said:
It could just be that he likes us and hates all you lot.

Mind control, I'm telling you.
He does a mean monitor mix. Makes it very loud on stage. Keeps it very quiet out front :)

aoboa said:
His own personal taste/mood/etc shouldn't be an issue - if it is he shouldn't be a house engineer.

Sound engineers never seem to ask how you want to sound. Leaving you completely at the mercy of their taste.

That soundman in whelans,I told him I couldn't hear anything but drums at a soundcheck,his only response was "don't worry about it"I know the sound of a room changes a bit when people come in but fuck sake.

aoboa said:
Mind control, I'm telling you.
He does a mean monitor mix. Makes it very loud on stage. Keeps it very quiet out front :)

Well yeah I did think it could be that but people said it sounded great out front too. Maybe we were just lucky .....

Rule no.1 - never let an engineer turn your amp down so low you can't hear it over the drums onstage.
No matter wat they say about giving it back to you in the monitors - in small venues especially - that's bollox.

hugh said:
Well yeah I did think it could be that but people said it sounded great out front too. Maybe we were just lucky .....

I'm only joking really :)
I'm sure he does really good sound when he wants to.
He is 'known' as being a really good engineer. I think it's only in the last year of so that he's gotten tired of loud/noisy music.
His treatment of support bands is terrible though and my own experience with him means I'll never play in Whelans again without bringing my own engineer.

aoboa said:
I'm only joking really :)
I'm sure he does really good sound when he wants to.
He is 'known' as being a really good engineer. I think it's only in the last year of so that he's gotten tired of loud/noisy music.
His treatment of support bands is terrible though and my own experience with him means I'll never play in Whelans again without bringing my own engineer.

Ah I know ;)

I agree about the support band thing and it is inexcusable. We haven't played there in well over a year and a half or so, so if he's recently gotten sick of loud bands then that's bad news all right ....

swingkid said:
i think ciaran who does sound in the hub and some other places, is one of the best sound engineers around. never complains and always in a good mood and tries his best to help people out... always gets good sound no matter what type of music...

word, that guy is a legend. he just gets 'music'

-----------------------

us - "we play really loud and need lots of delay on the vocals"

him - "play bit"

us - dddurrrrrrgggggggeeeee

him "ah, I know exactly what you mean"

-----------------------

him - "could you turn down your amp"

me - "I like it loud so I can get feedback and stuff"

*shakes head in "you crazy kids manner" and gets on with job*

-----------------------

2 minutes later everything sounds deadly

Piss beer and bad smell in the back of the venue aside, from a bloke in a bands point of view the Hub is a great venue... nice sound man, good PA, blah blah... it's just very hard to get a crowd into it's dank smelly fizzy rank beer serving stomach... shame really

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back