recording more than one track (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pad
  • Start date
  • Replies 32
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 1

pad

Since 2000
Website
www.myspace.com
hey,
i've been trying to set up the computer to record more than one track at once but it won't let me. you know the little speaker icon down at the bottom of the computer, and when you click that it allows you to select playback and recording properties, well that won't let me select more than one input at a time. i know that i should be able to record more than one track, cause the soundcard info says that i should be able to, but that little thingy won't let me.
does anyone know how to turn it off?
cheers.

Here Pad, what program are you using to record? Creative recorder? Cool Edit? Sound Forge?

Are you trying to record two inputs simultaneously (if so what inputs are you using?), or are you just trying to record a second track (after the first one is recorded)?

im using cakewalk, or cubasis if absolutely necessary. im trying to record two inputs simultaneously and im using the mic and the mic2/line2 inputs on a audigy platinum ex soundcard.
help!

If you double click on any track in cakewalk you open the track properties window and should be able to select the inputs.

If in the window there's only one possible source this could be an installation problem: did you "bother" to "tell" your PC that his brand new sound card has multiple inputs? :)

If not, check the drivers in the control panel!

Cheers, A.

Originally posted by Alex

If in the window there's only one possible source this could be an installation problem: did you "bother" to "tell" your PC that his brand new sound card has multiple inputs? :)

Cheers, A.

The Audigy has a program called Creative Recorder in which you select a specific input (line in, SPDIF, optical, MIDI etc). I'm pretty sure Pad's problem is that he wants to use two types of input at the same time, and the Creative Recorder does not seem to accomodate this.

Originally posted by Beanstalk
The Audigy has a program called Creative Recorder in which you select a specific input (line in, SPDIF, optical, MIDI etc). I'm pretty sure Pad's problem is that he wants to use two types of input at the same time, and the Creative Recorder does not seem to accomodate this.
yes!
bang on!
finally someone who gets me!
cheers beanstalk!

I'll have a look into it when I get home.

Or better still (if you're in work), give them a ring...
01 8207555

i tried this but they told me to select "record what you hear" which is fine but it means both the inputs record onto the one track, and i want the two tracks to be seperate so that i can change the levels individually later.

Originally posted by Alex

If not, check the drivers in the control panel!

Cheers, A.

everyone tells me about drivers but i haven't a clue what they are, at least i dont' think i do.
could someone please enlighten me?;)

Originally posted by pad
i tried this but they told me to select "record what you hear"

In other words, its probably not possible to do using the Audigy.

What are you trying to record...voice and guitar? A guitar amp with two mics?

Maybe you could get some sort of adaptor that takes two inputs and gives one stereo output (without mixing the two inputs). Then you could split up the resulting stereo wav file using an wav editor, and create two mono files from it. Surely a cheap little connector like this exists? Anyone?

I think Cubasis (as opposed to Cubase) can only record one track at a time...at least, that's the case with my version. If you're stuck with that, then Beanstalk's suggestion might be your best bet...assuming, of course, that such connectors exist. But I'm sure they must, really...

Originally posted by michaelknight
I think Cubasis (as opposed to Cubase) can only record one track at a time...at least, that's the case with my version.

I'm pretty sure its nothing to do with Cubasis...its to do with the limitations of Audigy soundcard.

I'm sure there is a way of working around it though...there always is!

I'm pretty sure its nothing to do with Cubasis...its to do with the limitations of Audigy soundcard.

I'm sure there is a way of working around it though...there always is!

I doubt it, 'cos I have an Audigy as well (not a platinum though), and I couldn't record two tracks with Cubasis, but I had no trouble with Cubase (i.e. the full version).

I mean why would they go an put all these poxy inputs on the card if you could only use one at a time?

what about other programs? Dudley uses sound forge vegas, how would that do?
also i posed a similar question to this on other boards and they said that i should get another soundcard and suggested the delta 44 or delta 66 which has four ins and outs. what would you guys reckon about this. (i feel so much happier discussing it here where people use proper words!)

Pad, I'll have a gander at my speaker thingy this evening. My card is slightly different, but it might shed some light on the sitn....although I won't be able to post again until Friday...

Originally posted by michaelknight
Pad, I'll have a gander at my speaker thingy this evening. My card is slightly different, but it might shed some light on the sitn....although I won't be able to post again until Friday...

Michael, if you open up the "Creative Recorder" program on your PC, you can see what it is set to...it'll be something like What U hear, MIDI, Line in, optical etc.

It varies a bit...I tend to only use the recorder thing for taping something off the telly, or recording a tape, or suchlike..."What U Hear" usually covers any input, though...what are you getting at?

Fair 'nuff, but that'll only really make a difference if you're trying to record through Creative Recorder...I've never tried to record two tracks with that, and would be a bit sceptical of one's being able to do what he wants with it, as "What U Hear" would probably be the only multi-track option, and that would mix everything, I'd wager...unless he was able to go for your two inputs in one stereo signal plan...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back