Recommend me some Jazz (3 Viewers)

Yep

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm going to try some Ahmad Jamal. I've got into the habit of scanning over All Music Guide discography pages and using their star ratings to decide where to start with someone new. Ahmad Jamal has lots of 4 and 5 star ratings up to the early 60s and then they seem to drop off. "Listen To The Ahmad Jamal Quintet" is jumping out at me there.

Irish guy Nigel Mooney is great

Plays like Joe Pass, sings like Nina Simone

!BpsN+6w!Wk~$(KGrHqEH-DMEuWiBwRvGBLsg!l44JQ~~_35.JPG

I don't know if everyone is avoiding the mention of Miles Davis because he's too obvious but if you're looking to get into jazz and you haven't tried Kind of Blue then you're missing out big time. There are lots of albums of his that I prefer but it's highly regarded for a reason.

Other classic Davis albums would be L'Ascenseur Pour L'Échafaud (a soundtrack that more than stands on its own) and Sketches of Spain (including a jazz setting of Rodrigo's "Concierto de Aranjuez" which strays into Morricone territory).

His later electric period is a little harder to take but well worth the effort. Albums like In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew and On the Corner all have a lot going for them. The live albums from this time are hugely satisfying, Live at the Fillmore East in particular blows my mind.

I don't know if everyone is avoiding the mention of Miles Davis because he's too obvious but if you're looking to get into jazz and you haven't tried Kind of Blue then you're missing out big time. There are lots of albums of his that I prefer but it's highly regarded for a reason.

Other classic Davis albums would be L'Ascenseur Pour L'Échafaud (a soundtrack that more than stands on its own) and Sketches of Spain (including a jazz setting of Rodrigo's "Concierto de Aranjuez" which strays into Morricone territory).

His later electric period is a little harder to take but well worth the effort. Albums like In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew and On the Corner all have a lot going for them. The live albums from this time are hugely satisfying, Live at the Fillmore East in particular blows my mind.

Nope I've a fair few Miles records and love them. I said at the top of the post I was looking for recommendations beyond the usual heavy hitter, hence the lack of Miles mentions in the thread!

I love listening to one of the Jazz stations on Google music when I'm doing stuff, then when I hear something I like I hop on it.

An imperfect system, but you'll find stuff you actually like.
Where do you find the stations? I followed these instructions: About free radio - Google Play Help

But I can't see the "Browse Stations" button

Nope I've a fair few Miles records and love them. I said at the top of the post I was looking for recommendations beyond the usual heavy hitter, hence the lack of Miles mentions in the thread!
Have you got any Eric Dolphy? Out to Lunch and Conversations are terrific.

Yeah, great album that. Someone recommended A Monastic Trio a while back, I enjoyed that as well.

Yes, that's decent, and was recently reissued, as well as Universal Consiousness although I would not recommend that as a starting point. It's great but not at all grounded like Journey. Actually, I think Journey is in a different league from all her others.

One jazz giant that gets completely overlooked these days is Don Ellis. Madcap big band genius. Check out Live at Filmore or Electric Bath for starters. t

That Herbie Hancock album (Maiden Voyage) that @travispickle mentioned would be a good one maybe... or Mingus Ah Um... Those Donald Byrd ones are great - A New Perspective is another one that I like, one of my favourite record covers too

1963DonaldByrdANewPerspective.jpg

Sweeeeeeet! I got a mono original of this for $10 last summer. I play that sucker LOUD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back