recession 08 - how does it affect the common man/woman? (1 Viewer)

frambosenshmak

Website
Visit site
just a thought.

in 1929 when wall street crashed traders leapt from the windows having lost it all and great depression set in a year later and wreaked havok across the states for years. But people weathered it, there were victims and there were some great songs and stories that came from it.

in 2008 as countries are all so in each others pockets a collapse in americas economy means a snowball effect for all other economies. As soon as the US stockmarket opened today all hell broke loose and billions are still being wiped off markets, banks are like dams being held together with sticks and the markets are now going after other vunerable sources like airlines, oil, etc. basically anything that isnt nailed down with a 100% financial liquidity state guarantee is going to get wiped out.

And here we are a mix of musicians, moaners, miscreants, men (and women) of leisure sitting idly by as a wave of hysteria and panic grips the financial structure. We're oblivious to it to a degree, unaffected directly (for the moment). Is this the calm before the storm or are most people on the low end of the scale that not owning stocks/shares/houses/pensions and the like means this will not put a dent in our already breadline situation?

I for one have been floating along on just getting by. I dont have a pension, i cant afford a house and nobody would touch me with a mortgage, i've no investments bar a small sum of money in the bank that gets raided every month to cover booze, rent, food and the day to day essentials. As people got stinking rich in celtic tiger days i had a tiny bit more money in my pocket but that was wiped out by higher cost of living. As we hit recession, and possibly a depression, i will hopefully still have enough to get by but i may find myself shopping alongside former CEOs, Stockbrokers, Lawyers, and high profile businessmen and i'll turn to them and say....

HAHA LOO AT YE, YA SHOWER OF FECKIN EEEJITS! I bet you dont even know the price of a tin of tomatoes let alone how to open one. YOU'RE FIRED! .|..|

anyone else still sleeping easy at night or starting to worry about all the screams coming from the IFSC?

A depression will be good for music

woody_guthrie.jpg

Other than that, we're all doomed.

A depression will be good for music

Other than that, we're all doomed.

doomed to listen to some quality music, drink cheap(er) pints and remember what having a laugh with people was like before the majority of us became money obsessed morons.

some people were born to live in a recession. get your best tom waits clobber out of the back of the wardrobe and follow me down to porter lane

All joking aside for a sec...

If the shit really hits the fan I know I'm young with no family to support and I can turn my hand to anything or move wherever it's easier, but I don't take any pleasure in knowing that. I have a family who have worked hard all their lives for what they have. Do you think we'll be chuckling at 'high profile businessmen' trying to work a tin of tomatoes if things really go bad?

just a thought.

in 1929 when wall street crashed traders leapt from the windows having lost it all and great depression set in a year later and wreaked havok across the states for years. But people weathered it, there were victims and there were some great songs and stories that came from it.

Callow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grapes_of_Wrath

Here's hoping the credit crunch is all hype but you have to admit - it's looking less and less like it every day. London traders are calling today 'the great crash of 2008'.

Is it horrendously complacent to laugh this off when people have already lost their jobs?

or not? I dunno...

I'm sleeping more easily. It is scary that we don't really know what we're faced with but fuck it. The idea of a global capitalist system was never a comfort to me, so a blip like this is interesting more than anything else. Anyway, it's probably not that bad and those people in the IFSC will figure something out for themselves. That's what they're good at. Of course artists will be among the first to suffer, but that's what they're good at.

All joking aside for a sec...

If the shit really hits the fan I know I'm young with no family to support and I can turn my hand to anything or move wherever it's easier, but I don't take any pleasure in knowing that. I have a family who have worked hard all their lives for what they have. Do you think we'll be chuckling at 'high profile businessmen' trying to work a tin of tomatoes if things really go bad?

Callow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grapes_of_Wrath

Here's hoping the credit crunch is all hype but you have to admit - it's looking less and less like it every day. London traders are calling today 'the great crash of 2008'.

Is it horrendously complacent to laugh this off when people have already lost their jobs?

or not? I dunno...

i'm sorry did you just call me callow?

well then you're an imbicile to not have spotted either the satirical nature of my post, nor the fact its not an in depth doctrinal analysis of the current economic situation.

I have every right to laugh and shamelessly poke fun at the truly horrific situation we are in because how else are we supposed to stop ourselves from being indoctrinated into the headless panic of those who put us in this mess?

yes i feel sorry for those who have a mortgage, a family to feed and are have the wolves at the door and there's not one person who isnt connected to someone close who is in this situation at the moment. so spare me you're holier than thou musings about moral judgement of laughing at high profile businessmen when people suffer.

these moronic greedy unscrupulous fatcats deserve to be derided, and paraded before the baying crowd. in bygone times we could have hanged the fuckers, thrown rotten fruit at them and made them pay for their crimes with jail time. So celebrating humour, music and human interaction is surely a better channel to work peoples fear and anger through difficult times than pointing out the obvious - we're all going to be in dire financial trouble very very soon. way to ruin the party.

Back in the '20s and '30s Ireland was piss poor anyway. Not helped by a foolish economic war with Britain around that time. Our main export was our people etc. There is really no comparison between then and now in terms of living standards for most people in the western world, especially in this country. Things will be lean, as always happens, boom and bust ad infinitum.

Hey Ernest, can I be Frank?

I DO have three kids and a mortgage! I'm bringing them up to be resourceful and to know how to light campfires, use a machete, eat grubs etc. We watch Bear Grylls a lot.

Sorry for being earnest for a split second

well earnest, just be careful not to call people callow.

its good to be earnest, thrifty, morally aware but there's plenty of room for derision, and silliness, especially on a friday.

i dont actually believe for one second that i will be shopping beside high profile businessmen and publicly deriding them as i know they have a far bigger rainy day fund than most people and a get out of jail free card. To divert our thoughts from that i'm hoping there is a serious comedy injection on the airwaves, both radio and tv. by god there's no shortage of great material out there.

rte start their commissioning round in november. get writing folks! or if you have a topper idea for a whizzer new invention then get your application in for dragons den - nothing like seeing a great idea fly to give a bit of chutspa to peoples gumption for good aul fashioned spit n polish hovis style hard work.

by gum!

sorry, couldnt resist...

Slam_Dunk_Ernest.jpg

The stockmarkets are losing money that never actually existed in the first place. It's all a farce. And a conspiracy, probably.

The stockmarkets are losing money that never actually existed in the first place. It's all a farce. And a conspiracy, probably.
But who stands to gain most by a stock market crash?
That's right, the US government who are mere puppets
controlled by fat cat businessmen, the oil barons, the
same people who planned and executed 9/11 with
devastating effect and who have lost billions over the
last week. These are the very people who rigged the
primaries so that McCain would beat Romney and a black
man who would end up leading the same polls which
are owned by media conglomerates who feed us lies
and aim to control our minds and hearts.

Oh no wait, that makes no sense at all.
Maybe it was the people who faked the moon landing.

Fuck the shitstem.I have a mortgage and mouths to feed and they'll have to send in the REAL fucking heavies to shift me ouuta here(me gaf)if the shit gets too hot.I'm talking Red Dawn style ambushs where I jump out of a hole in the back garden and shred 'em with some killer licks on me axe.

There was some blurb in some news on TV about luxury cars, apparently the wealthy are just grand and buying even more luxury commodities. The positive vibes of that one was astonishing. The rich are fine! I wanna be rich! I'll be rich some day n then everything ll be just o kay! First I'll get a job, then some healthcare, then some luxury and I'll be just fine 4ever wow

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back