Recently Purchased (5 Viewers)

First two batches are from a record fair in New Ross 22 June. Major surprise to see one in the town. And on a weekend that I happened to be visiting the parents.

DCP_1409.jpg

Steeleye Span - Hark! The Village Wait LP
Steeleye Span - Please To See The King LP
Steeleye Span - Ten Man Mop Or Mr Reservoir Butler Rides Again LP
Familiar with all of these through various CD editions, nice to pick up EX copies on vinyl. Hark! is the US Chrysalis edition while the other two are reissues on the Mooncrest label. Favourite of the two Blacksmith versions is on Please...

DCP_1410.jpg

Cheviot Ranters - Cheviot Barn Dance LP
1974 release on Topic. Third album of theirs. More fine rural dance in the same vein of its two predecessors. NM-

Various - Listen Here! A Transatlantic Sampler LP
Decent comp, ends nicely with The Purple Gang's Granny Takes A Trip. EX.

Scott Walker - The Moviegoer LP
Contour repress. A spare for future trades. EX

Clannad - Clannad 2 LP
Second outing for Donegal's finest. On Gael Linn and sounds far better than their dodgy descent into faux mysticism post 1980. VG+

All the rest are from my excursion to Manchester. Just got back yesterday and regretted not bringing a record bag.

DCP_1411.jpg

Various - The Story Of Folk Into Rock 4xLP box
Finally get hold of this seminal comp - with a booklet. Great nick. From Kingbee.

DCP_1412.jpg

Various - Chocolate Soup For Diabetics Volume 2 LP
The one that starts with the double whammey of Mike Stuart Span and Wimple Winch. I need to keep going and stop neglecting the rest.

Rutles - The Rutles LP
Decent nick. Always great fun and another CD upgrade.

Jimmy Smith - Monster: The Incredible Jimmy Smith LP
Stereo Verve. Gloomy Man is the highlight so far.

Bonnie Kolac - You're Gonna Love Yourself In The Morning LP
Heard BK through Folk Is A Four Letter Word and Bearded Ladies comps. So wanted more and took a chance on this. On first listen - YES. Where should I go next?

DCP_1413.jpg

Various - On The Road Again: Rock's New Frontiers 1966 - 1970 LP
Various - Doo Pah Poo Ooh: Early Sixties Soul 1960 - 1965 LP
Various - Good Vibrations: Sounds Of Top 40 Radio 1964 - 1967 LP
Three instalments in this Capitol comp series from the early 80s. Worth the couple of quid each. Assortment of tracks - just flicked so far and enjoying Cher's Bang Bang, John Stewart's Big Joe and Ernie K-Doe's A Certain Girl.

The Horace Silver Quintet - Serenade To A Soul Sister LP
Decent stereo pressing. Great hard bop.

DCP_1414.jpg

Seán O'Riada - Mise Eire LP
Seán O'Riada - O'Riada LP
Seán O'Riada - O'Riada Sa Gaiety LP
Very hard to find NM copies of these here. Got them at the record fair in Manc's New Century House. Bloke sourced them from a German.

The Doors - 13 LP
Useful contemporary comp. First time ever finding an unbattered copy.

DCP_1415.jpg

Family - Best Of LP
Love Entertainment so have picked this next.

Gary McFarland And Co - Does The Sun Really Shine On The Moon? LP
Pleasant listen. Up, Up and Away brings things to a mellow close.

Various - The Best Of British Folk LP
Contour comp of old reliables. The John James track is a revalation.

Pat Williams - Shades Of Today LP
Stereo Verve. Nice arrangements - particularly Eleanor Rigby and the piano of King Porter Stomp.

DCP_1416.jpg

These four from the 30p box.

Various - Grecian Summer LP
Rediffusion comp. All instrumental which is a pity but it's not bad.

Johnny Pearson And His Orchestra - Sleepy Shores LP
Not tackled this yet. Only know the title track.

James Last - Olé LP
Brazil rules.

Mike Sammes Singers - And I Love You So LP
From 1974. Unusual takes of American Trilogy and Twelfth Of Never.

DCP_1417.jpg

Max Boyce - The World Of LP
Not yet.

Burt Bacharach - Living Together LP
Favourite solo work of his. I Come To You is ace.

Various - The Guitar Player: An Album Of Contemporary Styles By Modern Masters 2xLP
Saw this in Oxfam. Decent sounding sampler with fairly intricate arrangements from the likes of BB King and Irving Ashby/John Collins.

Sansar Chakra - Gujarati LP
Bollywood soundtrack from 1978. Titles in Hindu so no idea of song titles or even if I've got the name right. Second song on side one is perfectly sung with a great melody.

DCP_1418.jpg

Brian Bennett Band - Rock Dreams LP
Not as bad as I've read about. Farewell To A Friend is plaintive while Drum Odyssey has 'breaks'.

Sammy Davis Jr. - Now!
The one with Candyman and John Shaft. Remainder is foot-tappingly good.

Various - Lights Out: San Francisco. Voco Presents The Soul Of The Bay Area 2xLP
Score of the weekend I think. Blue Thumb OG in EX condition with appropriate brown sticker over Tower Of Power - concealing their name at the insistence of Warners who subsequently signed 'em.
Diverse double album of soul, jazz, funk, horns, Indian vibes produced by Abe 'Voco' Keshishian. John Lee Hooker sings on the title track, Sylvester does a cool version of Leonard Cohen's Hey That's No Way To Say Goodbye while Tower Of Power steal the show with Mahdi.

Lalo Schifrin - Ché OST LP
Polydor issue of one of his best soundtracks.

DCP_1419.jpg

Genesis - Seconds Out 2xLP
1977 live album. Collins makes a good fist of Supper's Ready which takes up the entire side 3.

Fairport Convention - The History Of Fairport Convention 2xLP
Decent overview to Babbacombe Lee. Comes with decent booklet and in EX condition.

James Last - Guitars A GoGo LP
For me, this is up there with Well Keep Secret, Hair and Voodoo Party. Storming Johnny Guitar plus lots of other goodies.

DCP_1420.jpg

Various - Bumpers 2xLP
1970 Island double album sampler. Pink label. Nick Drake, Traffic, Tull, Fotheringay. Solid stuff.

Kinks - Everybody's In Showbiz 2xLP
Canadian pressing. Already own the CD but understand there are some significant variances on the vinyl.

Quincy Jones - How To Steal A Diamond OST LP
aka The Hot Rock. 1972. Another winning score from Q.

Kinks - Arthur...Or The Decline And Fall Of The British Empire LP
US stereo pressing on Reprise. VG. A little quiet but sounds good. Probably my second favourite 60s Kinks behind Village Green.

Just as well I have another week off work so I can get through that lot.

You know that bit in the original Charlie and the chocolate factory when the teacher asks him how many wonka bars he's bought? that how I feel after nlgbbbblth's post.

FAIRY%20TALES.jpg

Just a question nlgbbbblth (if that is your real name) Do you just buy records randomly? like on the off chance of finding something cool?

jewknowwhatImean? :0)

You know that bit in the original Charlie and the chocolate factory when the teacher asks him how many wonka bars he's bought? that how I feel after nlgbbbblth's post.

FAIRY%20TALES.jpg

Just a question nlgbbbblth (if that is your real name) Do you just buy records randomly? like on the off chance of finding something cool?

jewknowwhatImean? :0)

Is that comp any good?
Not got round to getting it yet.

The Wonka comparison ties nicely in with the opening track on the Sammy Davis Jr record - The Candyman. :)

I'll take random chances if the records are cheap enough. Occasionally I can be swayed by labels and what session musicians are listed on the sleeve.

But most of the time I have a researched wants list of stuff which I try and work off.
But it's like a hydra. As soon as I find something from it, another gets added.

Is that comp any good?
Not got round to getting it yet.

The Wonka comparison ties nicely in with the opening track on the Sammy Davis Jr record - The Candyman. :)

I'll take random chances if the records are cheap enough. Occasionally I can be swayed by labels and what session musicians are listed on the sleeve.

But most of the time I have a researched wants list of stuff which I try and work off.
But it's like a hydra. As soon as I find something from it, another gets added.

It's a seriously broad taste you have there. I like a wide range of stuff aswell but there are some things I can't stand...world music, that rat pack dinner jacket stuff, all that uk grime shit, stupid rappers...

I've yet to listen to the fairytales comp. I was thinking about buying some of the fading yellow comps...but there around €100 second hand on amazon. I wouldn't pay that for any record.

I've yet to listen to the fairytales comp. I was thinking about buying some of the fading yellow comps...but there around €100 second hand on amazon. I wouldn't pay that for any record.

Picked up Fading Yellows 6 to 9 for around €20 - €25 each. The first five are way too expensive. They're quite good but I wouldn't pay any more than I did.

Glasgow record shops were amazing. Especially when one is used to the pricing of the dublin shops where it's become a standard for a pretty common twelve inch maxi to be around 9 euro.

Got these from a great place in west end, don't remember the name...scott walker was a fiver, others cheaper:

Groundhogs - Crosscut Saw lp
Tubeway Army - s/t lp
Madonna - Into The Groove 12"
Grace Jones - Slave To The Rhythm 12"
Motörhead - No Sleep 'til Hammersmith lp
Roxy Music - Stranded lp
The Human League - Reproduction lp
Scott Walker - The Moviegoer lp
Pet Shop Boys - Left To My Own Devices (the disco mix) 12"
The Tornados - Telstar 7"
The Monkees - Daydream Believer 7"

Then I unfortunately stumbled into the Volcanic Tongue shop:
Billy Bao - Fuck Separation 10"
Michael Yonkers and the Blind Shake - Carbohydrates Hydrocarbons lp

Yesterday I picked a couple of basics I'm missing:
Joy Division - Transmission 12"
Associates - Fourth Drawer Down lp

+ these 7 inches for 5£ total:
Belinda Carlisle - Heaven Is A Place On Earth
Foreigner - I Want To Know What Love Is
Sheena Easton - 9 to 5
Cutting Crew - (I Just) Died In Your Arms
Survivor - Eye Of The Tiger
Ultravox - Vienna
Nick Kamen - Each Time You Break My Heart
Whitney - I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)
Barry Manilow - I wanna do it with you.
Rob 'n' Raz featuring Leila K - Got To Get
Stevie Wonder - I Just Called To Say I Love You
Bucks Fizz - Making Your Mind Up
Nena - 99 Red Balloons
The Cars - Drive
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams
Stevie Wonder - Part-Time Lover
New Kids On The Block - Hangin' Tough
Samantha Fox - Nothing's Gonna Stop Me Now
Chicago - Hard To Say I'm Sorry
Sabrina - Boys
Visage - Visage
Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby

Kulturkampf-demos lp
Amebix-the power remains lp
Armagedom/Forca Macabra-split lp
Severed Head Of Stae-power hazard lp
Active Minds-it's perfectly obvious that the system doesn't work lp
Knife In The Leg-bloodlust 7"

Got these 2 on vinyl for next to nothing at weekend:

John Martyn - "So far, so good" - 1977 comp; Original UK Gatefold sleeve release

Art Garfunkel - "Watermark" - 1978; Original US release with inner sleeve/lyric sheet.

Anyone know anything about either of these releases? I'd be interested in finding out if the John Martyn one is rare, or collectible - certainly have never come across it before. Neither is in fantastic condition, but probably quite playable after a clean up.

Attachments

• Art-Garfunkel-Watermark-288220.jpg
    Art-Garfunkel-Watermark-288220.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 30
  • John-Martyn-So-Far-So-Good---141733.jpg
    John-Martyn-So-Far-So-Good---141733.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 31
Other new buys (cd)-
Silver Jews - lookout mountain, lookout sea
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
The Weakerthans - Reunion Tour

from Ebay -
Lee Hazelwood and Nancy Sinatra - Nancy and Lee (1968, vinyl, mint)

Records27May.jpg

Various - Fritz The Cat OST LP
1980s repress of the 1972 classic. Nice gatefold with pics. Tjader track rocks.

Michel Legrand - Time For Loving OST LP
Killer Dusty Springfield tune on this. Sea And Sky.

Kinks - The Great Lost Kinks Album LP
Most tracks on this have turned up on remasters, triple Village Green etc but nice to have altogether.

Mikos Theodorakis - Serpico OST LP
UK pressing. Serpico Theme is moody in a deadly way while the remainder is really sublime especially Laurie's Fable and End Title.

Kinks came from ebay while the other three were purchased from Jonny Trunk.

Hey Analogue
Can you help with my query above re: that John Martyn album?

thanks

It was well received at the time, good summing up of the previous three albums and left people wanting more.

Not available on CD.

Seems to have largely superseded by
The 1994 double CD anthology Sweet Little Mysteries

I know it has a live version of I'd Rather Be The Devil which is probably (not sure) the same as the one on the 2000 Solid Air remaster. If that's the case it has no exclusive tracks anymore and is probably the reason why Island didn't put out a CD version.

Eil have a NM orange label Island copy for £18 and they tend to overprice a little.

I'll have a look at "the book" [Rare Record Price Guide] when I get home but mine is 2000 edition so price may not be relevant now.

It was well received at the time, good summing up of the previous three albums and left people wanting more.

Not available on CD.

Seems to have largely superseded by
The 1994 double CD anthology Sweet Little Mysteries

I know it has a live version of I'd Rather Be The Devil which is probably (not sure) the same as the one on the 2000 Solid Air remaster. If that's the case it has no exclusive tracks anymore and is probably the reason why Island didn't put out a CD version.

Eil have a NM orange label Island copy for £18 and they tend to overprice a little.

I'll have a look at "the book" [Rare Record Price Guide] when I get home but mine is 2000 edition so price may not be relevant now.

Have a look at

http://www.recordcollector.co.uk/

I looked up The Kinks plastic man single I have, 1 of the only cool records me ma had in the attic. Someone's selling it for £57

Have a look at

http://www.recordcollector.co.uk/

I looked up The Kinks plastic man single I have, 1 of the only cool records me ma had in the attic. Someone's selling it for £57

site has no John Martyn section.

checked the book this morning and there was no entry for the record in question. Which means it was worth less than £8 back in 1998.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back